SAU Community

Brutus' Big day out

Brutus

Well guys and gals,

Brutus had his first day out on the track at the island yesterday and we had a ball. Got him up to 245k's at the end of the straight and got down to a 1 min 58.52 lap time which is quite respectable.

Was a GTR R33 down there which was very quick but didn't get to chat to the bloke running it. Some of you guys should get out to these days to spectate or compete as it's a lot of fun.

A few things I learnt as I',m new to turbo cars and things to sort now. The main one being that to run sustained loads on the turbo you must have a front mount intercooler. My car was starting to ping like crazy after 1 1/2 to 2 laps and lost bucketloads of power through heat soak. The other limitation was that my track tyres on standard 16" rims don't give enough grip. Time to buy some 17's for the track and run the same size oin the track as on the road. That being 235's front and 275's rear. Doing the intercooler and the bigger tyres should see some seriously quick track times and a reliable, quick car.....

For all those interested I'll keep you posted on any further upcoming track days and if you are interested , drop me an email. Off to Healesville to watch the Rally of Melbourne now. Mmm Sideways fully worked WRX's, EVO,s etc...fun...

James