SAU Community

Need Help!

lybylyby

My car is basically a stockie except i have a boost controller installed. I want to know what i can do about it as it is illegal and i can get defected. I see people driving around with Power FCs, what do you guys do to keep your cars undefected?

take it out. done.

The rest of us fly by the seat of our pants, or we be smart about how we modify our cars. Like not having the boost solenoid with a big "BLITZ" or whatever sticker on it in full view.

Be smart about how you modify your car, be smart about where and how you drive.

My car is basically a stockie except i have a boost controller installed. I want to know what i can do about it as it is illegal and i can get defected. I see people driving around with Power FCs, what do you guys do to keep your cars undefected?

if u can get a qualified shop to look it over and give u a inspection receipt it wont help the law giving u trouble as mods are illegal by law,but depending on the officer at time and yor attitude,a receipt to show its been installed properly and works safe maybe the difference between a warning or a defect. Also drive like a nutcase and expect to ask for trouble,drive safe and keeps mods to reasonable level done properly and u should be able to enjoy yor car for a long time,in theory that is

Good question.

I have a 32 gtr. IMHO it looks good enough that it doesnt need bodykit. Bodykit is sure to get the authorities attention

So are flashy rims. I still run stock gtr 16" rims...

Over time I've been removing the more offensive modifications or making them legal

For example, I had a big dash mount boost gauge that I removed and placed a smaller one in a safe position - This being because gauges which are mounted on places that one might hit their noggin are a no-no

I had a boost controller which I re-located to the glovebox to avoid detection, but I removed it as the turbos I get will be mechanically set to vent at the right pressure (and the ECU is getting an upgrade...)

I still run the stock ECU.... regardless of what people say, there is a huge potential is recalibrating the stock ECU or getting an add-on board (Such as nistune sell) that I intend on upgrading to later.

I do have pod filters and an aftermarket exhaust. My exhaust is quiet enough to be legal upon the noise restrictions, and since the car was imported under the 15 year rule and not SEIVS (being an '89) it is exempt from the 90+ EPA rules. That said, it still has a cat, a resonator and two JunBL mufflers. And the pod filters are bolted to the chassis so they don't fly around.

I have coilovers - theyre not adjustible however the ride height is 10mm under legal height. I'll be getting some 1cm spacers to get it legal in the meantime, until I can afford sydneykids street suspension kit (totally legal).

I have an N1 water pump, racing hose, aftermarket radiator. If anyone tries to defect me over this, I'll lmfao.

I have a tint too, but its 100% legal.

Apart from that, there are no engineering modifications. I've spent a bit of coin on getting blue LED's, a nice healthy stereo and a couple aftermarket gauges, but theyre located on the front dash behind the steering wheel (so I'd be hitting my head on a steering wheel rather than any gauges)....

Thing is, defectable offences are indifferent to safety. I could get adjustible castor rods to improve the stability of the vehicle, and yet this would be deemed as defectable since its a critical component of the car which isnt stock standard. Theres the argument of using adjustible castor bushes but the degree of adjustibility is limited, and theres no saying that regency wouldnt crust you for that...

ECU's like powerFC's are amusing to me. If you have an ECU, its installed behind the interior kick panel. Theres NO WAY you're going to get defected for an ECU unless you have a powerFC hand controller thats visible.

From the sounds of it, its just your boost controller which is the issue. Be greatful. You can drive around with it for a while until the cops bust you. When that happens, simply remove the boost controller and go to regency - provided nothing else is modified, you'll pass without a hitch...

-D

has anyone had been defected for boost controller?

Yep i have been...well i still am technically

got defected for it....removed it....got the cop shop to sign it off so that i can still drive it around ie tomorrow going to the show etc

Good question.

I have a 32 gtr. IMHO it looks good enough that it doesnt need bodykit. Bodykit is sure to get the authorities attention

So are flashy rims. I still run stock gtr 16" rims...

Over time I've been removing the more offensive modifications or making them legal

For example, I had a big dash mount boost gauge that I removed and placed a smaller one in a safe position - This being because gauges which are mounted on places that one might hit their noggin are a no-no

I had a boost controller which I re-located to the glovebox to avoid detection, but I removed it as the turbos I get will be mechanically set to vent at the right pressure (and the ECU is getting an upgrade...)

I still run the stock ECU.... regardless of what people say, there is a huge potential is recalibrating the stock ECU or getting an add-on board (Such as nistune sell) that I intend on upgrading to later.

I do have pod filters and an aftermarket exhaust. My exhaust is quiet enough to be legal upon the noise restrictions, and since the car was imported under the 15 year rule and not SEIVS (being an '89) it is exempt from the 90+ EPA rules. That said, it still has a cat, a resonator and two JunBL mufflers. And the pod filters are bolted to the chassis so they don't fly around.

I have coilovers - theyre not adjustible however the ride height is 10mm under legal height. I'll be getting some 1cm spacers to get it legal in the meantime, until I can afford sydneykids street suspension kit (totally legal).

I have an N1 water pump, racing hose, aftermarket radiator. If anyone tries to defect me over this, I'll lmfao.

I have a tint too, but its 100% legal.

Apart from that, there are no engineering modifications. I've spent a bit of coin on getting blue LED's, a nice healthy stereo and a couple aftermarket gauges, but theyre located on the front dash behind the steering wheel (so I'd be hitting my head on a steering wheel rather than any gauges)....

Thing is, defectable offences are indifferent to safety. I could get adjustible castor rods to improve the stability of the vehicle, and yet this would be deemed as defectable since its a critical component of the car which isnt stock standard. Theres the argument of using adjustible castor bushes but the degree of adjustibility is limited, and theres no saying that regency wouldnt crust you for that...

ECU's like powerFC's are amusing to me. If you have an ECU, its installed behind the interior kick panel. Theres NO WAY you're going to get defected for an ECU unless you have a powerFC hand controller thats visible.

From the sounds of it, its just your boost controller which is the issue. Be greatful. You can drive around with it for a while until the cops bust you. When that happens, simply remove the boost controller and go to regency - provided nothing else is modified, you'll pass without a hitch...

-D

Thanks man. I surely will remove it. Cheers for the thought!

• 4 weeks later...

i wouldnt worry about the boost controler mate, there are people put there like me with a few more mods.. ones that cost money to remove/fix.

my turbo timer is hidden, park the car were it isnt as visible, and wait in the car until the car turns itself off..

ive got a boost controller but its unnattached, and its staying that way, haha

probably..... its heading that way.....

Terry,

The boost controller is in plain view, plus the solenoid is mounted just behind the air filter on the suspension tower....

Edited by Mr Sniper911