SAU Community

Side Mount Options

Dave, I drafted up a lengthy PM to you yesterday regarding the FrozenBoost core you're looking at. But my daughter managed to kill my browser session, so I lost the lot...

:(

I'll get back onto it shortly, but in summary, I reckon it could be a plan. Especially considering that you can orient it in whichever way it fits best when using the OEM location. A small front-mount heat exchanger, and one of those Bosch pumps would be a great start (plus a few litres of coolant in a reservoir). Jaycar do a temperature controlled switch (with hysteresis) which could provide pump control. Too easy...

:)

Based on my 'not gonna chop the front bar' theory, it's also probably about the best that could be achieved.

And I think I might upgrade my GP99 pump to a Bosch unit in the DR too.

lol pity about the PM :) but going off the sizes Rob (KiwiRS4T) provided in the first post for the SMIC, the biggest difficulty fitting a core that I can see (purely as a "thought experiment") would be the height constraint of ~225mm (that's not a lot).

Whilst FrozenBoost don't give any idea of power figures/suitability for a given core on their website, and I haven't been able to get any out of them even when asking about a specific core, the one included in their '600hp kit' sounds like the size i'd need, bit conservative I hope. That's 12.25" long/high though, and that's too high (though it does include the end tanks and pipes which stick straight out the ends).

So I think the biggest difficulty for me would be A) getting it to fit height-wise and B) getting the pipes in the right location, because I am hoping to be able to use a short elbow and make it basically fit in the stock SMIC location.

Though my research has purely been guesswork so far. I saw these cores at first and thought "gee that one looks a lot like the SMIC"... still looking for something more exact dimensions-wise and not sure how much metalwork ( :ph34r: ) would be required to make it fit... the aim is for none, just pipework and mounts/hangers.

Gonna use the Bosch pump in the DR? Should be more than up to the task if that other little inline pump was enough. I wouldn't think a water-air system would need much in the way of a huge pressure or flow, though - just reliability.

Yeah for the front mount heat exchanger one could use just about anything surely - on the site it seems to suggest that it won't have to deal with engine cooling system pressures either.

PS if and when I do get to taking my whole front bar off to measure/fit something like this, I am probably going to want to get it resprayed 'cause the chips/cracks are getting bad and starting to work their way up the front lip so could be an expensive exercise :)

Edited by DaveB

• 2 weeks later...

Cool... good size & shape of radiator. Looks like one of the many kit configurations available from Frozenboost:

http://www.frozenboost.com/index.php?cPath...10dfc0c1dd16dc8

OK so there are only 3 on that page... but view any of the kits and you can select various different options for pump type/radiator size/fans/reserve tank etc.

Looking thru Frozen Boost goodies. Anyone know how accurate their A/F gauge is? If it isn't what are the alternatives to get reliable real time A/F mixture readings. I have a DFA and controller but not yet wired in. Would that be a better option?

The Frozen Boost site suggests that their A/F guage can be wired to your standard O2 sensor which means that it won't be accurate enough for tuning purposes and will therefore be not worth it. Fitting the DFA is a good idea but it can only alter the AFRs and will not measure them. You will need to get it tuned with a wide band meter (time for a dyno?).

• 3 months later...
I don't know what the ARC smic is rated at. I saw some big figure somewhere but can't remember what it was. I have emailed the question to the ARC website that you linked to.

What power are you making at present? Please be sure to let me know if you are ever thinking of selling it!

Just got my car retuned (ECU reflashed). 179rwkw. That's with 3" turbo back exhaust, ARC SMIC, highflow panel, RB20 actuator and 12psi going down to 7 by redline. My Boost controller wasn't connected propperly but it is now. But I think I'm getting around 13-14psi now :) but I don't think it's going down :ermm: (turbotech controller). Got a Jaycar IEBC coming so will hopefully get the boost issue fixed although it is minimal.

Once on boost the car just gets up and goes! Very impressed in the results from the tune. :)

• 2 months later...

Great to hear Dave, sounds pretty good to me from the stock turbo :) Not sure why you changed actuator instead of the bleed? But meh great stuff. Do you have an auto? I'm making similar power (~190rwkw) with a few more mod's then that, but stock R34 sidemount, same engine & running gear (mine's auto though) and I'm wondering why I'm not getting more from my GCG hiflow.

Great to hear Dave, sounds pretty good to me from the stock turbo :( Not sure why you changed actuator instead of the bleed? But meh great stuff. Do you have an auto? I'm making similar power (~190rwkw) with a few more mod's then that, but stock R34 sidemount, same engine & running gear (mine's auto though) and I'm wondering why I'm not getting more from my GCG hiflow.

How much boost are you running now Dave? have you installed a Nistune chip? If you are running 1 bar with a decent tune you should be making well over 200awkw poss up to 210- 220.