SAU Community

Adding A Carputer To My '03 350gt Prem... Want To Solve The Nav/movie/music/internet Problem Once And For All!

+1 on that second last post by messiah, seriously interested on carputer idea, as matfan keeps suggesting its a way better idea to upgrade with a new more efficient system, than fixing the current crap system. so much better.

as for installing it all, i'd have no idea WTF i am doing, so i'd be prepared to pay someone like Chris to do it for me and run me through how the whole thing works. i wouldnt pay over $1500 for all of it though, but it depends, we'll c. I'd even drive from melbourne to brisbane just to get it dont, unless anybody knows a person in melbourne who knows what they are doing.

Edited by BIGGERDave

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also would it be possible to see water temp, engine temp, etc like that last pic posted showed? like off fast and the furious.

with a caputer would it also be possible to keep or add things like L/100km? etc, like in the oem nav.

to be honest - its all software. once the hardware is in place to do so any thing is possible. lets get the thing protoyped first.

matfan will say a similar thing.

Similar yes!

The only other thing you have to buy is a OBD-II adapter. For those of you who don't know, any vehicles sold in america after 1996 had to be "obd-ii compliant". basically it was so work shops only needed 1 diagnostic tool to diagnose problems with any car. There are a few different protocols for it so you have to be careful which one you buy but google is your friend.

Now the main advantage for us is that we can use this adapter and appropriate software (centrafuse has a plugin) to display / log ANY information that the cars engine management system monitors. So if you want a gauge showing water temp, oil pressure, front tourque split etc you can customise it to suit.

Another bonus is that if your engine warning light comes on, you can check what the error is and clear it if you want. This is valuable if you happen to disconnect the battery on some overly sensitive vehicles.

Adapters range from USD80 - USD150

Anyway... it's all easy.......ish.

Anyway, on the topic of carpc's in skylines, I'm mid way through installing one into kesiums v35 as we speak. I've just got to sort out the dc-dc psu and a/c controller (thanks chris) but it should be up and running by the weekend. I'll let you all know how I go.

• 4 months later...

So, can the guys who have sorted all this out post up guides/pics (or links to them if I missed them)? And Chris, how is your solution coming? I am keen to buy your finished product.

Has anyone got an ODBII cable to 100% work? A guy tried the Blazt cable in his 350Gt and the error codes etc worked, but the gauges would not work - and that is the thing I primarily want it for - for my pop-up screen to look like an R35GTR screen.

Hey Chris can you please email me too - my main HDD died and I lost the invoice and info you emailed me. Can you please resend it? I have put a deposit down on a car finally (after 4 false starts) - should get it in the next week or so out of Sydney.

Ah that was last weekend? Bugger. Yeah in a months time would have been awesome. Mind you, I am going to do my audio myself, and really only need the cruise done - which I can get my guy to do with your parts. Can you get the TV tuners that Chook did in the group buy? Am thinking about chucking one of them in the boot and running my laptop off a video in off that. Do you still have a silver double din trim piece for me?

I will probably get the a/c controller, trim piece, TV tuner and cruise off you in around a months time .... the wife is still recovering from me buying a $32k V35 instead of the $18k V35 sedan I was originally going to buy - it has mucked up my mod spending somewhat for a short period until she gets over it. I might just have to buy her a new car to help her get over it yet :P

Has anyone got an ODBII cable to 100% work? A guy tried the Blazt cable in his 350Gt and the error codes etc worked, but the gauges would not work - and that is the thing I primarily want it for - for my pop-up screen to look like an R35GTR screen.

That was me, and yes, i got it working in mine, no problems.

ah ok ..... are you the guy who posted on their forums about it? Last I heard an Aussie guy (maybe you?) tried it on the 350GT and the gauges wouldn't work. I emailed Blazt and asked if they could let me know if they figured the firmware for it out, but they never got back to me.

Yeah video would be awesome.