SAU Community

Aust. Made Cams & Valve Springs

hi guys,

im looking at purchasing cams from http://www.camtechcams.com.au/ & valve springs from http://www.performancesprings.com.au/.

pricing has attracted me & i've heard some good things about both products to date, im also aware that some engine builders use these brands.

how do they rate in terms of quality & performance versus the likes say jun, hks, tomei?

regards

marko

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marko you need to put "ill keep racing but" in the approprate spot in the quote in your sig.

haha - thats true paul, that should be added on the end of jims quote...

Get your $900 and buy Australian made, good on ya!

i wonder if they stamp the cams with the green & gold "STRAAAALIAN MAAADE" sticker lol

Haven't delt with camtech but I have been running performance valve springs for about 10-15 years in a variety of v8's including full on drag engines spinning to 11000 rpm, have not had an issue with any of their products they are top shelf,I would recommend their product to anyone!

i spoke to the camtech rep today as they now offer 270, 278 and 280 duration @ 10.8mm lift

with the 11.5mm lift i was told that more work is required to the head and that the factory buckets can become unstable

what would be the better option for increased performance?

marko, better off not to go too big on camshafts if you are running -10's, otherwise you will make it abit of a lag monster... keep them suttle and not 2 big, look at the group a aussie gtr's, they had medium sized cams and produced 600+ brake with a rev limit of 7000rpm. the porting is the most important in making power...

by the way, your setup will piss in 400rwkw.... u stress 2 much

i know dennis - im hopeless when it comes to making decisions!

i understand your point BUT remember that im doing an rb26/30 which means i can afford to go a bit bigger with cams...i was thinking the 270degree @ 10.8mm lift would be ideal?

what cams u running in your built rb26?

dont forget my 26 was to be a drag engine, with 9200rpm limit... i had hks 272 with 10.2 lift... these cams would be well good to go to 9500rpm...

my 32 gtr has gibson group a cams, same as in the bathurst gtr's, i have -10 on that engine also, these cams will be a shitload better for drivability, thaink about it, if the bathurst gtr's used them they would have had one thing in mind, "torque" and still produced big numbers, and they were 26's not 30's, remember torque is what u want, if u focus on achiving this your car will be a animal....

from what ive found - these are the cam specs of the gibson m/s gtr:

Inlet 256 @ 9.5mm lift

Exhaust 278 @ 9.75 mm lift

for a 3ltr though, i'd need to go bigger 1 would think

a few tuners had recommended 270-272 with under 11mm lift, i'll probably stick to that unless i hear of better results from smaller cams, its hard to know...all trial & error if nobody else has tested bigger v's smaller cams

that makes me feel more comfortable - thanks for that superjet!

higher duration determines when the power band starts?

higher lift determines better air flow?

I'm running a pair of 264 [email protected] 9mm (110/115) cams at their std centrelines in the rb30det with a 9:1 static comp, ported/polished, deshrouded head.

Idles smooth and can tell its got a slight cam but doesn't lope as such. Just a deep smooth throb.

The top end has that typical cam sound due to the increased ramp rates.

Economy is great (attributed to a slightly better tune) and picked up ~30rwkw on the same boost.

No noticeable seat of the pants low end loss (dyno shows real slight loss under ~2000) but once over it starts making more power everywhere.

For the RB30DET RB25 head I'd personally convert to solid and run 10.5mm lift cams otherwise you have to try and screw too much boost in to it to make decent power (350-400rwkw+) on pump fuel. Pump fuel really doesn't like lots and lots of boost. :D

Edited by TheRogue