SAU Community

Aust. Made Cams & Valve Springs

Strange about that one Trent, when i called up they said contact the mob up in QLD (which i assume is performance springs)

and said they dont deal with springs....

anyone specific i should speak to?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im about to test some camtech cams over the next few weeks, ive heard great feedback and im sure they are just profiled off popular grinds anyway...... I tried a few sets of crow SR cams awhile back and i wont go there again.... disaster.

as for valve springs for your rb or sr stay away from the ones you listed...... they soften up way to quick. Ive been burnt a few times now and since switching back to Ferrea / Brian Crower and the jap gear ive had ZERO issues. We used to use a lot of the performance springs in the v8's we built (big solid rollers) and even then they required swapping out more often than the us-of-a stuff. Then again thier the cheapest and most shops make good coin outta them....

Just out of interest from those who are using them have they had the springs tested after they were removed? i have some kelford ones here for a 26 im about to have tested (done one full season) it will be interesting to see how they fared.

are performance springs and PSI springs the same company?

have you used any of the supertech stuff trent?

marko, do you know what shim size was needed with the cams? i'm guessing its a pretty big one caus u didnt list aftermarket buckets... also what springs did u go for?

big revs on that setup & ur going to be tearing it down regularily to keep it alive

Camtech do a spring and titanium retainer set... might be worth a call? we have used 2JZ ($550rrp) and SR20 ($450rrp), im yet to use their RB kit so im not sure of the price.

when i spoke to malcolm from camtech about my cams, he recommended that i go via 'performance springs' for valve springs

he stated that these springs are best for the gtr - interesting feedback considering camtech actually sell their own springs as well

marko, do you know what shim size was needed with the cams? i'm guessing its a pretty big one caus u didnt list aftermarket buckets... also what springs did u go for?

big revs on that setup & ur going to be tearing it down regularily to keep it alive

shims, buckets, retainers & valves were kept stock - no need to upgrade these bits on my head as recommended by pro engines

there will be no regular maintenance on my engine, remembering its an rb26/30 i wont need to rev it as hard as my rb26 BUT if i want to - it will be on tap :)

when i spoke to malcolm from camtech about my cams, he recommended that i go via 'performance springs' for valve springs

he stated that these springs are best for the gtr - interesting feedback considering camtech actually sell their own springs as well

i just found out why... the Camtech SR20 titanium spring and retainer set i just received is actually BC gear (brian crower gear) :rofl:

Maybe all their jap valve train gear is just BC rebranded? i think the JZ stuff we used previous was very BC like too, and since BC does not make RB26 gear i reckon their solution is Performance springs... something i'm not happy to use..

• 2 weeks later...
Out of my league with big cams but what is being done with valve sizes , is it worth investigating oversize valves and slightly less aggressive cam profiles in RB26 heads ?

Just curious , cheers A .

very much so in my experience. but there is only room for 1mm oversize in the 26 head

very much so in my experience. but there is only room for 1mm oversize in the 26 head

That's what I'd herd as well , around 1mm . It doesn't sound like very much but being on the periphery of the valve means it probably makes a very real difference to how much gas can get past them with opened up or larger seats/throats .

It may be a case of larger valves with shortish high lift cams (provided the valves don't touch on the overlap phase) may work well .

Personal bent I suppose but I like the idea of really well modified heads and just barely enough cams to get the job done , probably because its difficult to get around cams that have gone too far duration and overlap wise .

Cheers A .

I didn't read through all 4 pages, but local stuff is generally good, think of Kelford in NZ, known world wide for their cams because they are great, and reasonably priced too!

• 1 year later...
dont forget my 26 was to be a drag engine, with 9200rpm limit... i had hks 272 with 10.2 lift... these cams would be well good to go to 9500rpm...

my 32 gtr has gibson group a cams, same as in the bathurst gtr's, i have -10 on that engine also, these cams will be a shitload better for drivability, thaink about it, if the bathurst gtr's used them they would have had one thing in mind, "torque" and still produced big numbers, and they were 26's not 30's, remember torque is what u want, if u focus on achiving this your car will be a animal....

Hi Mate

Can you please give me the gibson motorsport cam profiles as I would like to get kelford cams to grind me a set. . Your help would much appreciated. .

Edited by NZR32GT-R

Hi Mate

Can you please give me the gibson motorsport cam profiles as I would like to get kelford cams to grind me a set. . Your help would much appreciated. .

this is like asking colonel sanders for his secret kfc recipe - colonel probably didnt even know himself :P

this is like asking colonel sanders for his secret kfc recipe - colonel probably didnt even know himself :P

LOL! ! you stated some specs on the first page of the thread.

Inlet 256 @ 9.5mm lift

Exhaust 278 @ 9.75mm lift

Where did you get this profile information from?

Also I am sure some one has a set of these cams & would be willing to share the profiles. .

I am realy interested in these cams as I have a set of group A turbos as well & I think these cams would suit them better than some Tomei Poncam Type Bs. .

Edited by NZR32GT-R

i am all for sharing info, although, i dont think anyone knows the real profiles of the cams, my post was only what i have heard (is it true though, not sure)

Kewl no problem yea I just wanted to confirm hopefuly some one will give up the secret :-D. .

but the profile you specified sounds like it should work well with group A turbos. .

How would you compare them to the Tomei's?

Tomei Specs:

Inlet 260 @ 9.15mm lift

Exhaust 260 @ 9.15mm lift

Is it better to run more duration on the RB26 as from what I have read the exhaust valves are realy small & only flow like 65% when compared to the inlet valves. .

Kewl no problem yea I just wanted to confirm hopefuly some one will give up the secret :-D. .

but the profile you specified sounds like it should work well with group A turbos. .

How would you compare them to the Tomei's?

Tomei Specs:

Inlet 260 @ 9.15mm lift

Exhaust 260 @ 9.15mm lift

Is it better to run more duration on the RB26 as from what I have read the exhaust valves are realy small & only flow like 65% when compared to the inlet valves. .

flow your head and cam it to suit the flow split, simple solution.

Maybe all their jap valve train gear is just BC rebranded? i think the JZ stuff we used previous was very BC like too, and since BC does not make RB26 gear i reckon their solution is Performance springs... something i'm not happy to use..

Just interested as to why?

Can anyone share their experience with the Lewis Engines valve springs? http://www.lewisengines.com.au/prod7.htm

I thought they use Performance Springs?