Sandown Anzac Day - Saturday 25th April

Belsil80

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing that always gets me is that i often go and watch Improved production as i have a few mates who run in the category. They seem to have less power, less tyres, simpler suspension and smaller brakes but still do fast times. EG early rx7's with carby fed 13B engines on 185 60 14 tyres getting around the island in 1:48s! A friend of mine has a datsun 1600 and has a turbo smaller than ryans, with a 36mm restrictor in front of it running around on 195 50 15s and gets around the power track that is sandown in 1:20 flat. I don't get it, i'm sure they are good steerers but so is mr bell.

Roy hit it on the head. These cars weigh half of what a GTR weighs, my car with me in it (I weigh 110kg's :)) is over 1700kgs. Plus these guys have much more experience than us amatuers. Now what if you strip a couple hundred kilos out my car? Hello 16's at Sandown and 43's at PI. Good example is the Markov GTR, infact weekend before last he posted a 1:14 on full slicks!!!!! That's just crazy...

mmm, might have to build a 'light' GTR track car.....

some nice pics there, were you in the green 200sx? I was meaning to come up and say hi but din't get the chance.

Troy, in relation to the gear thing thats how the ipra 1600 mate drives his too. not sure on the rx7's. i do find it very interesting comparing some cars that seem to be really quick with ones that 'should be' quicker. another classic is mark in his 180b punting around the island in all its 75kw glory a shade quicker than a certain 200rwkw corona. really points to things like power delivery and availability and of course corner speed.

i'd be very interested to see what someone who knows how to drive could do with my car

Jack, just buy a track built GTSt and go even quicker :)

i'd be very interested to see what someone who knows how to drive could do with my car

LOL, my experience is ppl jumping into other peoples cars rarely go quicker, unless your car is vey simialr to theirs. Jumping in a Datsun with good power, i think you would have to be a really switched on driver to go any quicker then its regular steerer?!?!?

They have to be ifficult things to steer quickly, lol no power steering, old steering racks etc etc

another classic is mark in his 180b punting around the island in all its 75kw glory a shade quicker than a certain 200rwkw corona. really points to things like power delivery and availability and of course corner speed.

PIPE DOWN!

and just to set the record straight... my 2:04 @ PI was done with 170ish - rwkw in the damp with 49 other cars on the track

compared to mark in the dry and on a comparatively empty track

(gotta love racing excuses!!!)

I would like to know what else my car is capable of in the right hands...

but i have doubts on who would have the right hands

I just think with cars like the Datto's and definitely my corona they have so many little foibles that it would take someone a lot of track time to learn how to drive them fast.

Compared to something that has a bit for pedigree like a S13 or a skyline.

When i drive cars like ryans, or other skylines

they just seem to drive like a car is supposed to drive.

I can't really speak for the datto's. but my corona just doesn't

part of me thinks that even if someone who is obviously a good steerer stepped into my car, without putting down some serious track time,

They wouldn't be able to lap the car as fast as i can.

Just purely because i doesn't handle like you would expect a car to handle on a track.

Bumping, squirming, weird unexplained over steer, under steering all the way through a corner.

coupled with about 20 degrees of steering slop, and more rattles and vibrations than you can point a stick at.

I'm not saying it's gonna be any easier or harder in either car i spose.

Just think it would be a bit more orthodox, and therefore easier to lean in a car that handles good.

Spose my biggest fear with getting someone to drive my car would be them trying to push it too hard without knowing what it is capable of and hurting them self in a crash.

Obviously on top of that i don't wanna see my car bent :)

Heh guess reading all of this you'd call me crazy for wanting to race a car that is so rubbish.

those of you who have seen 'Love the Beast' will understand! :(

Any wayz.. that is my 2c

Jack, just buy a track built GTSt and go even quicker :(

LOL, my experience is ppl jumping into other peoples cars rarely go quicker, unless your car is vey simialr to theirs. Jumping in a Datsun with good power, i think you would have to be a really switched on driver to go any quicker then its regular steerer?!?!?

They have to be ifficult things to steer quickly, lol no power steering, old steering racks etc etc

heh you snuck this in while i was writing my post.

Heh heh steering rack... if only...

try steering box and draglink setup :)

Jack, just buy a track built GTSt and go even quicker :)

Troy, get off the turps!

The day your car goes quicker than 1:18.7 is the day I'll give you 40k for it.

On a serious note when are you coming back to Melb to punch out a 1:21 at Sandown?

Troy, get off the turps!

The day your car goes quicker than 1:18.7 is the day I'll give you 40k for it.

On a serious note when are you coming back to Melb to punch out a 1:21 at Sandown?

I am being 1000% sincere. If i do a 1:18.7 or better in a GTSt running an RB motor you will give me 40k for it? Yes i am being 10000% sincere! I would make that bet, but i doubt anyone would wager it with me. Thats how confident i am. LOL, if i can find a garage which is secure, safe and accessible i may be at the next one or two Sandowns to put the theory to the test....

Do you want to offer up a keg and the money, as after its all said and done i want to be drunk enough to hang shit on people and say goodbye as i hand you the keys....or at least put up with the abuse i would have coming my way and cry that i now own two GTSts which are slower then most Vic GTRs :thumbsup: Either way i win. I have a track only GTSt i have always wanted to own... OR .... i get to own it briefly, do a good lap time then sell it so.... I am being serious. I cant lose if this bet goes through. Question is do you want a GTSt quicker then your GTR :)

My current car should hopefully be out of Micolour in the next 4-8 weeks, then off to Bens for some tweaking/tuning. So i will take my leave and be back for when the car is ready. I will gladly eat my hat if i cant at least go close to my 1:23.1 first time back out. The car should be a good second or two quicker then it was, only it will have been two years since i have driven it. No way my current car will do a 1:18 because it is only ever going to be powered by an internally std RB20 and be a full interior street car/club car. So the math, 260rwkws, 1300kg only adds up to a high 1:20 at the absolute best with me behind the wheel. But definitely a 1:21 something. But with 200kgs out of it and 320rwkws it would be interesting....and i am a gambling man! :)

Come on Jack you have made a few posts about dedicated track cars, you have the truck, you dont need a trailer. I already have the colour picked out :)

RWD for life !

p.s Jack I have a new engine coming :/

Tell me more!

Troy, I admire your persistence, so I'll make the deal more realistic. I'll supply you 5 slabs of beer of your choice if you punch out a sub 1:21 in the silver bullet. I will be stoked for you and we can enjoy a drink or two in celebration.

By the way, what is the quickest RWD Nissan as far as club track days go? Is it Lee Wilson from AVO?

I'm sure you have your sights on somebody...

Oh and re 'dedicated track car', i will say no more... for now...

Jack how about a 18 sec GTSt for 50k.

I cant wait untill there are two sub 20 GTSt's in vic.

19's should be easy 18's might not happen till the end of the year. This gives you plenty of time to save up Jack.

Here are a couple of selling points.

Since a 1.22 flat after 8 laps ther car has:

Extra 100kw and loads more torque

Big brakes

RE 55's compared to yokies hard compound

Rear bar chopped off to remove the air brake.

New rear end thats not twisted and 1989 technology

Longer ratios not RB20 NA drift ratios

New suspension not early 90's Tein HE drift suspension.

Weight put in the back of the car

Lexan windows

Most importantly Brisby belives in me.

19's EASY!

Jack how about a 18 sec GTSt for 50k.

I cant wait untill there are two sub 20 GTSt's in vic.

19's should be easy 18's might not happen till the end of the year. This gives you plenty of time to save up Jack.

Here are a couple of selling points.

Since a 1.22 flat after 8 laps ther car has:

Extra 100kw and loads more torque

Big brakes

RE 55's compared to yokies hard compound

Rear bar chopped off to remove the air brake.

New rear end thats not twisted and 1989 technology

Longer ratios not RB20 NA drift ratios

New suspension not early 90's Tein HE drift suspension.

Weight put in the back of the car

Lexan windows

19's EASY!

Adz, your car is exceptional and there is no doubt you'll join the 'teen club' at Sandown. Especially that you have talent. Kudos to Ben and yourself for building a monster track car... When you heading out next?

Haha. Brisby is the GTSt GOD!!! So much Faith in GTSt's everywhere! It's Brisby's faith that keeps us persuing lap times in 2WD cars!

Haha. Brisby is the GTSt GOD!!! So much Faith in GTSt's everywhere! It's Brisby's faith that keeps us persuing lap times in 2WD cars!

Absolutly!!

As well as personal satisfaction I feel I am building my car for Bris as well, trying and testing new bits so that when Bris gets back he can get out there and head for the teens.

Jack thanks mate. Fingers crossed it get results. Last time we spoke you were spot on. There is a huge diffrence between a 20 and a 19 let alone a 18.7. I remember how hard I had to peddle Scotsmans car to get a 19 and thats a car that inspires confidence over the back of sandown.

I can forsee a wild adventure ahead in my thing lol.

there's no reason why RWD cars can't do the times... its just harder... it means more seat time, 100's of laps, datalogging and plenty of setup changes and tweaks... so a pit crew and plenty of budget is what's needed... a semi pro driver also helps! lol

Its just not going to happen if your only going to the track every few months, with old tyres and only getting 3 flying laps at a time... that's not to say that you won't be able to punch out times that embarrass many more expensive cars... but its a big ask to think your going to do IPRA times

Also those who think a pro driver couldn't step into their car and go quicker than them is on crack... put the pipe down!

I love RWD, I keep looking at old RWD Corolla's to turn into track bitch's... I shouldn't have bought a GTR in such nice condition, I'm afraid to take it places with walls and kitty litter:(