SAU Community

Sandown Anzac Day - Saturday 25th April

Belsil80

this is starting to feel like the classic "us versus them" case. :(

looks like us GTR owners are going to have to get busy to keep the crazy RWD'ers honest! :/

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its really the aussie love for the underdog. GTS T's aren't supposed to go quicker than their big brothers, just like 1970's datsuns aren't supposed to beat silvias and gtst's. Of course it can happen tho if you do the right mods or pump squillions of dollars into your car.

The really quick GTR's all have la di da racepace motors, brakes that would cost more than some cars, fresh tyres, big turbos expensive tunes etc etc. Of course they should go fast! Its when the lesser modified and cheaper cars like brisby's GTST of a couple of years ago or Gareth on his street tyres punch out the quick times that gets people talking. Not that its not a massive feat to run in the teens, just that when you modify your car enough its pretty much expected. And everyone wants to bring down the king

that is true. it makes for good fun though.

especially when we all get on here and trash talk, thens we rock up to the track to see who can put there arse where their face is... :/

its all a good laugh really. i know i enjoy it. :(

there's no reason why RWD cars can't do the times... its just harder... it means more seat time, 100's of laps, data logging and plenty of setup changes and tweaks... so a pit crew and plenty of budget is what's needed... a semi pro driver also helps! lol

Its just not going to happen if your only going to the track every few months, with old tyres and only getting 3 flying laps at a time... that's not to say that you won't be able to punch out times that embarrass many more expensive cars... but its a big ask to think your going to do IPRA times

I agree with this...

The impression i get from this however is that GTR drivers assume that 4wd is necessary to go fast, no matter what car you are in.

http://www.sandown.net.au/pdf/Lap_Records.doc

As this is a Sandown discussion i have shown the lap records for there... but i suggest it would be the same at other tracks...

There are very few cars that are in there that a AWD or 4WD.. many of the times are well under the magic 1:20 mark..

As noted by Nick.... yes these cars are all tuned complete race cars which have been tuned and tweaked to the en-th degree.

A vast gap between them and us, i do understand this.

My point being that it is very possible to get a RWD car to go fast, some people need to remember this.

Also those who think a pro driver couldn't step into their car and go quicker than them is on crack... put the pipe down!

You missed my point....

I'm sure someone could get my car faster if they spent the time and put some laps down.

It may not require many laps but it would require some.

Of course this is the same with any car, you need to get used to that car.

But i think cars like mine would require a whole lot more getting used to, than something like a reasonably well setup S13 or GTST, or GTR for that matter.

In all of this...

Yes if i had lots of money i could probably go out and buy a GTR, spend a whole lot more money on it and then do quick times with some practice on the track.

Having said that.... if i suddenly got a whole lot of money. I would still pump it into the Corona and see what i could do about it.

Like leigh said... its all about the underdog...

And yeah ok... my car is say 3 seconds slower than ryans at sandown as an example. (With similar power outputs)

The way i look at it is... My 30 year old Mid-sized Family car with some upgraded springs and shocks and a powerfully motor...

is 3 seconds slower and a 12 year old sports car, with near on race car suspension and MASSIVE tyres.

The best bit about it all is that yeah it is a heap of fun.

and i do think the trash talking adds to it :thumbsup:

You missed my point....

I'm sure someone could get my car faster if they spent the time and put some laps down.

It may not require many laps but it would require some.

Of course this is the same with any car, you need to get used to that car.

But i think cars like mine would require a whole lot more getting used to, than something like a reasonably well setup S13 or GTST, or GTR for that matter.

In all of this...

Yes if i had lots of money i could probably go out and buy a GTR, spend a whole lot more money on it and then do quick times with some practice on the track.

Having said that.... if i suddenly got a whole lot of money. I would still pump it into the Corona and see what i could do about it.

Like leigh said... its all about the underdog...

And yeah ok... my car is say 3 seconds slower than ryans at sandown as an example. (With similar power outputs)

The way i look at it is... My 30 year old Mid-sized Family car with some upgraded springs and shocks and a powerfully motor...

is 3 seconds slower and a 12 year old sports car, with near on race car suspension and MASSIVE tyres.

The best bit about it all is that yeah it is a heap of fun.

and i do think the trash talking adds to it :)

yeah totally agree re. needing a few laps

my gf used to own an old Corona and as someone who has driven it I can say you do damn well to get it round so quick lol ... love to see cars like yours, the Dattos, etc knock off the big power/money cars

Just concerning budget I reckon similar money would be spent on the IPRA cars as the quick Vic GTRs... pretty much everything in that records list has had bulk cash/time spent on it... whether RWD or 4WD, to do seriously quick times you have to spend heaps of time at the track... and time = money

I think 4WD is only a real advantage when you don't have heaps of time to mess with setup and heaps of cash to spend on the best tyres... it help mask setup problems and lack of grip from average tyres etc

GTR a girls car hey... well then :thumbsup:

thats sexist. and true. :)

Bring it on princess..... :thumbsup:

I now have P.I. worked out so Sandown will be next. I'll be trying my hardest to be a Santeenager b4 some 2ltr pretender :)

You can see how much of a pussy I am in turn one and the entry on to the front straight in my vids, so heaps of time there.

However, the next person that get's a 19 I'll gladly shout a :)

Cheers

Andrew

... And everyone wants to bring down the king

Ken Oath! :)

Troy, I admire your persistence, so I'll make the deal more realistic. I'll supply you 5 slabs of beer of your choice if you punch out a sub 1:21 in the silver bullet. I will be stoked for you and we can enjoy a drink or two in celebration.

LOL, i dont think it will be easy because i am the guy driving it. But fark me the car should do it so its a challenge for me to get at least within 90% of what the car can do. I am hopeful, i just hope i am not delusional in thinking 21s are on the cards. I secretly hope that i can grab a high 1:20, something like a 1:20.8 will do it for me. :)

Like Adz and his shopping list. Since the 1:23.1 i have gone a bit silly and turned what was a pretty cheap, basic modded car into something a bit more expensive so cant say its a budget banger any more...but it now has:

- binned the old Bilsteins which it had for the 23.1 and now got the same suspension as all the GTR boys,

- has about 20-30rwkws more

- Has similar brakes, jut something a bit more repeatable and will give me more confidence.

- canned the std cooling system and now have a setup that will allow me to do 4 laps at full revs, before i would only get 2 laps at full noise so often circulated at less revs etc for the first lap or two.

- Slightly wider tyres

- Fresh susp bushes etc so it doesnt feel like Crossy's Corona

So considering i think i would have easly bagged a low 22 last time i was there if i didnt have the gearbox leak problem (=wall :thumbsup: ) then ... lol. I liek sharing/discussing this stuff as i dont get to do it often enough, so talking about it is the next best fun :)

And if i never even get in the 23s again, i dont care, its been fun trying and fiddling with it little by little year by year. I will add though i have not lost one of these bets yet:) I said sub 25 first time in the dry at Sandown, i said a 52 first full day at PI, lets just hope my crystal ball doesnt fog up on me :) We will have a real fight on our hands if i told you what times i am hoping for at PI :)

And seriously, i need to know if anybody can help me out with a long term solution to storing a track car? I want an evil twin for my GTSt :)

It's mostly because GT-R's are for girls... :thumbsup:

nice... now thats just crossed the line!!! :)

forget SAU vs WRX club, next track is gonna be GTR vs those who dont value traction! :)

...and just a quick caveat. Spending money on your car isnt a sin. And saying that all the quick GTRs are worth a fortune is not a criticismn...and it doesnt dis-credit the silly turns of speed you get from them and the steering effort requried to get into the teens

It just means you are women (not very good looking ones) because you dont drive rwd cars :thumbsup:

what a great little discussion! it definately isn't a sin to spend money on your car (you do sort of have to say that now) its not a business decision that is supposed to be rational, its a hobby! what other hobby doesn't cost money?

I love having to wrestle with a squirmy overpowered for the chassis rwd beast too, its half the fun!

You've set up some expectations for your car now Troy! At least you're realistic and honest. I'd love to get down into the 24's with not too many more mods, gonna have an extra 50 odd rwkws some time this year so that should seal the deal. Its the island that i really want to try to master as its a drivers track not a power prover. Under 55's there and i would be stoked!

With all this talk and banter does it mean that all those racers who misplaced their penis are gonna come back and have another lash?

You've set up some expectations for your car now Troy!

LOL, every circus needs a clown :D But seriously, much the same reason as to why I started the Motorsport Track Times thread, it wasn’t to swing dicks etc, but was so that people could have a discussion on where they are at pace wise, what sort of pace is left in the thing and were free to throw a bit of thinking/speculation behind the disucussion.

I use my lap time only because its what I know in detail. I can get a decent turn of speed from my car but I am not getting the most out of it. I argue the point of lap times as in 2004 people laughed at me when I said I expected sub 25s at Sandown because all the 330-350awks "GTR" guys were only doing those sort of lap times. If I had of listened to them then I would have parked the car and bought a GTR if I wanted to go any quicker then 1:30. Now that I have done three Sandowns I think my goal of 23s was shy of what I can do. I think I can strangle a 21 out of it. Still with a std RB20.

Again, if I had of listened to people 2 years ago I would have needed an RB25/26/30 and 350rwkws to do that. AND they could be right…but its about working out when you are as quick as your car and when you practically need to spend money to go quicker. More importantly from that point where do I spend money to go quicker? Seeing Dean do a 1:22 on the weekend has pumped me back up … no way an SR20 powered Silvia is going to go quicker then me. The RB20 MUST rule the realm of rwd 2Ls :blush: