SAU Community

Sandown Anzac Day - Saturday 25th April

Belsil80

Well kudos to you guys getting out there and having a go. At the end of the day its all about getting out there and having some fun in a safe and controlled environment.

Budget should not interfere with the fun factor, and ofcourse a little competition wouldn't go astray! It's what keeps us on our toes!

I personally would like to see how a car like mine minus 300kgs would go... I guess we'll find out sooner or later...

Do you think you could get 300kgs out of it? As Dane said the answer is you would probably end up in a device like the Tartus and be able to go back in time. I think you could easily get 150kgs out of it. But 300kg. LOL a full stripped GTSt, but with all the safety gear and cage, brakes etc is still only about 90kgs lighter then my car :P

As curious as you are to know how much quicker your car would be if lighter, can you imagine my curiosity as to how quick a GTSt would be if it had the usual good gear, it is already about 250-300kgs lighter :)

Anyway, i have to get to work, enough posting here. I have some tuk tuks to race between goats and buffalos.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think that 300kg out of a GTR may be possible but only with changing to lightweight panels etc. JFK runs his stripped with a few light panels/components like the doors so it would be interesting to see what his thing weighs.....not that we would ever find out :P

herers one right here baby!!! i will just say that when i did my 1.26 around sandown, the car was unchanged from the way it was driven everyday. i simply turned up, put a bit more air in the tyres and went out. it was also my first every run at sandown, and my first ever run in my GTR. the car didnt have a huge amount of mods either, just coilovers and a bit of boost! full interior, so maximum weight (which is heavy!) and brake were stock as a rock (no brembos or nothing...) and my silly federal road tyres...

so i thinks thats not bad!!!

there! now you can tear me to shreads with your come backs! :P

heh yeah i have seen your times before..

Trust me i understand that GTR's are quick and have no problem with that...

My only issue is that several GTR drivers seem to think that it is impossible for a RWD car to go fast....

I also remembered another car that runs good times....

Not sure who remebers that White Datsun 1600, stripped out etc. big alloy wing on the back.

Was running a turbo Z18 motor with around 200-250rwkw if i remember right...

It was running around sandown in 1:19's.... would have love to have know what times he pulled at other tracks.

heh heh there is no hatred any where either...

its all in good fun...

In the end, we are not racing for sheep stations

Beating PB's is the best goal to have i reckon...

and is basically what i try and do...

and hopefully embarress a few more expensive/ladida cars...

Ok I'll bite. What was power output?

yeah, um, ok it was around 300ish kilowasps at the rears...

but last week i did a 1.27.1 with only bit less than 250kw at all fours and no brakes... oh and that was just in the first session too. (the only one i got out in... :P )

don't you dare strip your car Jack, its too nice!

When I said those IPRA cars plenty of $$$ spent on them I didn't necessarily mean in top shelf hardware... I meant with the amount of laps they do to get setup right to do the times, they go through heaps of tyres, brakes, engines, clutches etc etc... so it adds up over time... they don't just rock up at the track and do the times out of the box, it takes heaps of laps... and every lap you do costs money

Its pretty impressive to see guys rock up with cars they drive around on the street, pull the spare tyre out and then go as fast as production race cars on slicks...

I mean who hear pulls in after some flying laps and has a pit crew log tyre temps, tyre pressure, brake temps etc? Who has datalogging corner by corner and examines it on the day to see where they can improve and then changes setup based upon the data? I don't often see people rock up with trailers full of spares or laptops! lol

If you want the corner speed you need all of the above... its sometimes cheaper to pay more up front and have the power to mask average setup and lots of weight;)

also, power is fun... just ask Clarkson;)

hehehe, i love it. Goliath seems to be intimidated by David ;)

all i can say it that chasing times at sandown is garbage. of course there is time to be made at each end of the drag strip, but really, of all the tracks in Vic its the worst to compare anything except power.

I say we have our own 'Sthuperlap' at winton on the 18th july. Lets see who can do what then...

Agree on the drag strip bit, it does take a settled car to make some time up down the back though.

Maybe my sarcasm was misplaced..... :)

I haven't been to Winton for two years and my car is completely different so I'm looking forward to it as well. Trouble is it's a loooong way home on a tow truck and if anything is going to break or fall off, it usually happens there. :D

Like I said, beers from me to the next person that breaks into the 19's for the first time. I like Asahi by the way..... :P

heh yeah i have seen your times before..

Trust me i understand that GTR's are quick and have no problem with that...

My only issue is that several GTR drivers seem to think that it is impossible for a RWD car to go fast....

Not sure who remebers that White Datsun 1600, stripped out etc. big alloy wing on the back.

It was running around sandown in 1:19's.... would have love to have know what times he pulled at other tracks.

heh heh there is no hatred any where either...

its all in good fun...

In the end, we are not racing for sheep stations

Beating PB's is the best goal to have i reckon...

and is basically what i try and do...

and hopefully embarress a few more expensive/ladida cars...

I remember that datto, very quick car and nicely built.

Does it run semi's or slicks though?

I remember that Datto. It had nothing on me with regards to corner speed but damn it proves the point of power to weight. It hammered me once the thing spooled up. I did a low 1:23 when behind it from memory

I was running 1 bar from memory, so about 235rwkws. Could have been 19psi, i cant remember which sesssion or what boost. But being mid 23s and before the accident i suspect it was 15psi. Goes to show the difference in our lap times, 1:23 vs 1:19 is on the straights and not under brakes or the corners. I shoudl just go buy a Datto 1200 UTE :O

Oh, and for him leavign me for dead on the straights i am sure some of it is the way it gets on power a bit sooner as he jumps me a bit on exit too while my sails are waiting for the wind to blow :)

yeah, um, ok it was around 300ish kilowasps at the rears...

but last week i did a 1.27.1 with only bit less than 250kw at all fours and no brakes... oh and that was just in the first session too. (the only one i got out in... :O )

Yeah sucks about the pads on the weekend.

As a comparison to a GTSt on streets and 260kw Tim did a low 28. With another 40kw he may be biting at your heels at a 26... :) Having said that he has less in his car being partially stripped.

2WD rocks! haha.

I think the difference between these two is that your GTR is only mildly tuned where as tim has done more to his engine and you could drive yours daily...

Dollars/fun wise I agree with Bris that you'd be hard pressed to get a better, cheaper, 'club style' race car than a GTSt or silvia.

I think the difference between these two is that your GTR is only mildly tuned where as tim has done more to his engine and you could drive yours daily...

See thats what i love about the GTR's. you can be real quick straight out of the box with minimal mods. where as with the silvias and gts-t's you have to spend a bit more and work a bit harder to be on par with the "R's". they are just so well balanced overall with the potential for more than enough power. they are very close to (dare i say it) the perfect car.

my opinion...

don't you dare strip your car Jack, its too nice!

There is no way I'm stripping my car for weight. I just can't bring myself to tracking it anymore after I had the whole front end resprayed and new windscreen put in. So its time to move on, start on a new project.... :)

I remember that Datto. It had nothing on me with regards to corner speed but damn it proves the point of power to weight. It hammered me once the thing spooled up. I did a low 1:23 when behind it from memory

Troy, just watching that vid shows you are almost as quick through corners, if it wasn't for your car being so unstable I'd say you'd have him. Although that car has some decent grunt and bugger all weight. Credit to the owner of the datto, 1:20 flat is quite impressive. I remember that car having a big 'Nizpro Turbocharging' sticker on it, so I'd say it would be very sorted power wise.....

See thats what i love about the GTR's. you can be real quick straight out of the box with minimal mods. where as with the silvias and gts-t's you have to spend a bit more and work a bit harder to be on par with the "R's". they are just so well balanced overall with the potential for more than enough power. they are very close to (dare i say it) the perfect car.

my opinion...

Hang on ...300 at the treads and coil overs. So you are allowed a turbo upgrade (two of them) with ECU and exhaust with coil overs to go as fast as you are. But Tim in his GTSt isnt allowed a turbo upgrade and coil overs? :) You were also running better Federal tyres then what is on his car.

I think i am just angry sitting over here behind a keyboard and not driving my car. I want to give Gareth the keys to my car to go and do some damage if the car is ready but im not. At least the car will be out there putting things to the test. He is the only bloke that could bin my car and still be able to make me laugh :)