SAU Community

How Fun Can It Go?

70RTY

There is no disputing that the new GTR is fast. Really fast.

There is also little doubt that pushing the GTR to it's limits (or your own, which would probably come first) would be highly entertaining as it accelerates, brakes and corners like nothing else for the money. I have seen the new GTR lap Queensland Raceway at a recent track day and was astounded not only by its performance but also by the unique jet-like sound trumpeted by the car as it thrusted down the straights.

After reading all of the hype and witnessing this spectacle on the track, I was 95% sure that I would be heading to Moorooka or Southport Nissan to order one immediately.

My current car is a BMW Z4 M Coupe. I attend about 6-8 track days in addition to other club events (skid pan, driver training etc.) per year. This car never fails to put a massive smile on my face at each event. The performance is really more than adequate for my ability, if I am honest, but I can only imagine how thrilling a GTR in the same environment must be.

However, there is that 5% inside of me that doubts how much enjoyment could be gained from the GTR at road legal speeds. After all, I would spend 99.9% of my time driving the car on surburban streets. With such immense ability, it would appear that the GTR is too capable and all the fun would be over in a couple of seconds.

In my current car, I love the feel and sound of the M-Power straight six as it revs through to 8,000 rpm. I can do this while accelerating towards 100km/h . I savour dropping down a couple gears in the six speed manual gearbox to power through corners or to overtake a truck. I find it satisfying to rev-match when I change down gears. This can all be done at or close to road legal speeds and as you can imagine serves to make every drive entertaining.

What I really want to know is if the GTR is fun to drive on the road or if normal daily driving all too easy for the GTR.

I would appreciate to hear from current owners about their driving experience and how involving they find the car to drive. I am sure all of the techno guages and the paddle shift are fun to play with but is it fun to drive?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but also by the unique jet-like sound trumpeted by the car as it thrusted down the straights.

This car never fails to put a massive smile on my face at each event.

I love the feel and sound of the M-Power straight six as it revs through to 8,000 rpm.

I can do this while accelerating towards 100km/h .

I savour dropping down a couple gears in the six speed manual gearbox to power through corners or to overtake a truck.

I find it satisfying to rev-match when I change down gears.

I think you have a shot at the letters page of penthouse.

Personally, i wouldnt buy an R35 as a 99.9% daily driver. You just can't use it to any degree of the potential on the street. The amount of satisfaction, enjoyment and results (lap times) you would get out of the R35 on the circuit will however far eclipse anything for the money i reckon, which is why i bought one. To be frank, i think you should keep the beemer. Just IMHO; i'm sure others will have different opinions. Goodluck with your dilemma :down:

Personally, i wouldnt buy an R35 as a 99.9% daily driver. You just can't use it to any degree of the potential on the street. The amount of satisfaction, enjoyment and results (lap times) you would get out of the R35 on the circuit will however far eclipse anything for the money i reckon, which is why i bought one. To be frank, i think you should keep the beemer. Just IMHO; i'm sure others will have different opinions. Goodluck with your dilemma :down:

Thanks for the honest opinion!

I will be using the car as a daily driver and am a tracking wannabe for the moment (I am teeing up some track time though with some friends who all drive lambos, porsches and crazy arse minis, all just as amateurish as me).

There are many cars which you cannot use to their potential on the street, try any HSV or FPV for that matter (who needs a 6.2 litre daily driver?).

Not being able to wring every last bit of performance out of the car on the way to work does not stop me feeling anything but exhilaration every time i go for a quick fang.

If you don't like an aggressive ride, tight hugging seats or the low stance then maybe you should look at other softer sports options.

Me personally, I love every way the car focuses your attention.

It has all the mod cons you really need (do you really need satnav and rearparking sensors?) I am getting a rear camera for negotiating its huge arse but as for sat navs, most after market products are better anyway. Besides who ever purchased a sports car based on these items?

I now find excuses to go out to the shops or run meaningless errands. I relish every corner, open straight or on ramp where I can responsibly give the car a bit of a squirt.

You could argue that this is the honeymoon period and that this effect will wear off but if you're like me and travel lessthan 10-15 k per year as a daily driver (I average 8k/year) that it will be an absolute pleasure.

And then to think that after all this, there is the track still left to exploit! :P

Edited by handbrake

Agree with all said above....but here is my 2 cents worth anyways....

The little City/trafic driving I have done with my GTR has not been as smooth as

it would have been with my Cayman S.....

The GTR loves and was built to GO QUICK.....

I live in the country so I will do a lot of my driving on windy country roads

and most likley will never track the GTR.

My Porsche would make a better daily driver ...but it's a very nice sports car

not a Super Car like the GTR .

Just sign on the dotted line and keep your Beema as your daily driver....then find some

windy roads/Tracks on the w/ends......you will not be sorry....the R35 is SO FOCUSED.

Agree with all said above....but here is my 2 cents worth anyways....

The little City/trafic driving I have done with my GTR has not been as smooth as

it would have been with my Cayman S.....

The GTR loves and was built to GO QUICK.....

I live in the country so I will do a lot of my driving on windy country roads

and most likley will never track the GTR.

My Porsche would make a better daily driver ...but it's a very nice sports car

not a Super Car like the GTR .

Just sign on the dotted line and keep your Beema as your daily driver....then find some

windy roads/Tracks on the w/ends......you will not be sorry....the R35 is SO FOCUSED.

yes, have both if you can!

What I really want to know is if the GTR is fun to drive on the road or if normal daily driving all too easy for the GTR.

I've ridden in an R35 (not driven), and the way it comports itself makes it feel boring. Sitting in the passenger seat reminds me of an AMG. Its silent, its fuss-free, and it has such a rock-solid feel to it that there's no sense of engagement with the vehicle.

Its a similar cry I've heard about any quick AWD car. The grip is so immense that you have to be doing ludicrous speed for it to feel like you're driving the car, rather than just riding along as it sorts everything out for you.

If you are going to own only one car, DONT buy the GTR.

I've owned a JDM R35 for exactly a year now and for the past 6 months i've hardly used the car as i've 2 other cars which are much better daily drivers.

If you live in the city, you'll find the GTR is disadvantaged by its rather large proportions. Its not the easiest of cars to maneuver in narrow or congested roads and can be difficult to park in tight spaces (you really do need the reverse camera). Even at stock ride height you can hit the bottom on road humps. Performance wise the car is very fast (as opposed to quick, like a Subaru STI, VW GTI, Renault R26 etc), so fast in fact that you can barely use its performance in daily driving. One of the functions that the multifunction computer screen on the car allows you to see is the throttle opening position (ie. how much throttle u are using). You'll be surprised that you can barely go over 50pct throttle position, 90pct of the time, in daily use. I usually try to keep within speed limits but occasionally it frustrates me to drive at 15pct throttle opening @ 120kph (in 6th gear)...give it some boot and you'll find you can hit 180-200kph in seconds!

Its much more fun driving a less powerful (but more useable) car like your BMW or any of the above previously mentioned, where you can actually hit redline in daily use and have some fun.

Given the low speed limits in Australia (and the almost overzealous policing), i'd say not many GTR owners are going to come anywhere close to being able to enjoy the car's potential. Fortunately i dont live Downunder at the moment and have ready access to a world class F1 circuit and "virtually" unrestricted highways where i can literally put pedal to the metal. If this wasnt the case, i would have sold the GTR already.

Its much more fun driving a less powerful (but more useable) car like your BMW or any of the above previously mentioned, where you can actually hit redline in daily use and have some fun.

Yes, the Z4 is more fun, specially when the owners curling tongs come off the back seat and get jammed under the brake pedal......I mean really.....

Gives Hyundai hope for their Getz, as full throttle can be used everywhere and it certainly has no power :P

Edited by Martin Donnon

I've ridden in an R35 (not driven), and the way it comports itself makes it feel boring. Sitting in the passenger seat reminds me of an AMG. Its silent, its fuss-free, and it has such a rock-solid feel to it that there's no sense of engagement with the vehicle.

Its a similar cry I've heard about any quick AWD car. The grip is so immense that you have to be doing ludicrous speed for it to feel like you're driving the car, rather than just riding along as it sorts everything out for you.

I would actually disagree here, as a passenger maybe, however as a driver there is two ways to basically drive this car. Auto and manual. Auto certainly makes this car a no brainer in peak hour traffic, it makes it seem almost pedestrian as it upwards shifts through to 6th before 60km/h. The feel and response is almost dull, however the connection with the car is still there. I often tootle along in traffic in auto mode, however as soon as the opportunity arises I simply give a couple of pulls on the down shift paddle and it is a whole different ball game.

I intend to use my car as much as possible, however I am like handbrake, I have offices 2 km from home and I love being able to look out my office window at the car. If I was commuting any distance then I would get a second car, I am lucky that I have a range of work cars I can grab if I have to do a trip anywhere that I do not want to take the GTR.

The standard suspension is very taunt, however comfoirt mode is a little, and I only mean a little more forgiving. I have found that after lunch you really feel your stomach being tossed around on a bumpy road, or even not so bumpy road.

I came out of a chipped 335 (Manual) into the GTR, for every day driving the 335 was more fun because the acceleration is more easily regulated. Up to the 120km mark you have a lot of play in the accelerator to modulate your speed and acceleration, the GTR on the other hand is not so easily handled. A short stab has you rocketing over 130km/h which is fun when taking a mate for a drive, however when trying to overtake a knob in the right hand lane who wont pull left in even moderate traffic takes concentration. I am finding that the "playing" I used to do in the 335 is not something I would venture to do in the GTR (well just yet anyway). I am looking forward to my first track day in this so I can see what it is capable of.

That being said, I love driving the GTR every day, but the thrill of this car is lost to a large degree in auto mode, but it can without a doubt be used as an everyday driver, you just have to be very careful.

I will be using the car as a daily driver and am a tracking wannabe for the moment (I am teeing up some track time though with some friends who all drive lambos, porsches and crazy arse minis, all just as amateurish as me).

There are many cars which you cannot use to their potential on the street, try any HSV or FPV for that matter (who needs a 6.2 litre daily driver?).

Not being able to wring every last bit of performance out of the car on the way to work does not stop me feeling anything but exhilaration every time i go for a quick fang.

If you don't like an aggressive ride, tight hugging seats or the low stance then maybe you should look at other softer sports options.

Me personally, I love every way the car focuses your attention.

It has all the mod cons you really need (do you really need satnav and rearparking sensors?) I am getting a rear camera for negotiating its huge arse but as for sat navs, most after market products are better anyway. Besides who ever purchased a sports car based on these items?

I now find excuses to go out to the shops or run meaningless errands. I relish every corner, open straight or on ramp where I can responsibly give the car a bit of a squirt.

You could argue that this is the honeymoon period and that this effect will wear off but if you're like me and travel lessthan 10-15 k per year as a daily driver (I average 8k/year) that it will be an absolute pleasure.

And then to think that after all this, there is the track still left to exploit! :P

Sounds like the car is providing you with plenty of thrills! I have no problem with the aggressive ride, tight seats or low stance - these are traits of my current car and are a worthy trade off for the perfromance side of things.

I agree that Sat Nav and rear parking sensors are not really necessary but I think they could be very useful.

It' great to hear that you are thouroughly enjoying your GTR!

I was out driving last night on some "C" Grade twisties (so nothing special) and I actually started to think that maybe this car is just too fast for it's own good. The car was able to do those roads as easily as driving down a freeway and the only way you could make them fun would be to do speeds that would see you in jail should you get caught! LOL

My car is my daily - I have a 15km drive to work each day that is over 50% on a freeway and dead easy to do and its been actually a nicer car to do that drive in than my old WRX simply because I can put it into Auto if there is traffic (I generally drive in manual too), and despite that behind the wheel is a nice place to be. It is a nice car to just drive around IMO.

But it is going to be like owning a sports bike. You are going to need to make an effort to find some A grade roads to challenge the car if you are going to really appreciate it. I can't wait to get down to Tassie next week as I think that will be the biggest challenge I can give it to see if it is worth having as just a road car.

Yes, the Z4 is more fun, specially when the owners curling tongs come off the back seat and get jammed under the brake pedal......I mean really.....

Gives Hyundai hope for their Getz, as full throttle can be used everywhere and it certainly has no power :P

Don't you just hate when the curling tongs get jammed under the brake pedal! (they don't come off my back seat though because there isn't one) It's sooo annoying!

I don't entirely disagree with your point about the Getz. I would use the Golf GTi as an example of a car that is by no means fast but is a very rewarding car to drive at road legal speeds.

I think it's about tractability within the confines of the street. I drove mine to work the other day (through Sydney CBD) suffice to say the next day i took another car.... some cars you can happily wind the motor out (on the street) at least to some enjoyable degree - it puts a grin on your face. You just can't do that with the GTR (not where i live anyway). Yes it's totally capable as a "daily" but you'll often feel like there is a carrot being dangled in front of your face - a carrot that you just can't have.

I came out of a chipped 335 (Manual) into the GTR, for every day driving the 335 was more fun because the acceleration is more easily regulated. Up to the 120km mark you have a lot of play in the accelerator to modulate your speed and acceleration, the GTR on the other hand is not so easily handled. A short stab has you rocketing over 130km/h which is fun when taking a mate for a drive, however when trying to overtake a knob in the right hand lane who wont pull left in even moderate traffic takes concentration. I am finding that the "playing" I used to do in the 335 is not something I would venture to do in the GTR (well just yet anyway). I am looking forward to my first track day in this so I can see what it is capable of.

That being said, I love driving the GTR every day, but the thrill of this car is lost to a large degree in auto mode, but it can without a doubt be used as an everyday driver, you just have to be very careful.

Thanks Gibbo, I imagine you might be lucky to keep your licence intact!

I think it's about tractability within the confines of the street. I drove mine to work the other day (through Sydney CBD) suffice to say the next day i took another car.... some cars you can happily wind the motor out (on the street) at least to some enjoyable degree - it puts a grin on your face. You just can't do that with the GTR (not where i live anyway). Yes it's totally capable as a "daily" but you'll often feel like there is a carrot being dangled in front of your face - a carrot that you just can't have.

Yea....I think their is no friendlier super-car out there anyways.......(Maybe the 911 Turbo...?....NO...! )

Agreed, car is so fast that everyday driving it handles so effortlessly its certainly not exciting to drive around normal packed streets with other cars. And the engine doesn't throw out a MASSIVE V10 sound its a very quiet car sound inside cockpit with stock mufflers.

HOWEVER, if you have even a couple of sections of road where you can flood it or even take off from the lights fast just those 1-2 instances can easily make up for it. The sheer accelleration is just mind blowing and brings a smile to your face in short order.

I think the best thing to do is get a test drive and so you'll have the best idea of the accelleration and then get an idea of how it putt putts around in auto half the time.