SAU Community

R35 Trans Temps

LSX-438

I took my R35 out to Oran Park today, i was keeping a close eye on the trans oil temps. As has been discussed on threads hereabouts, the temps got to 120*c only after a few laps.

My dealer told me the other day "you'll never get to 120* don't worry" (when discussing the whole warranty thing in relation to track days).

- obviously they didnt push the car on their recent drive days

Anyway, how hot is too hot? and when should we be looking to replace the oil?

If i were to follow the dealer requirement, i would be changing the oil tomorrow costing the best part of $2k, which is ridiculous of course.

Thoughts?

Edited by LSX-438

Brace yourself Duncan ;)

120 degrees you can get in a doddle....which is why we have products like WR35TM and WR35TC. The dealers know very little about how these cars peform on the road let alone the track. Pre Cooler we had seen 145C many times, and with a good fluid, there is no problem :)

Brace yourself Duncan ;)

120 degrees you can get in a doddle....which is why we have products like WR35TM and WR35TC. The dealers know very little about how these cars peform on the road let alone the track. Pre Cooler we had seen 145C many times, and with a good fluid, there is no problem :)

Thanks Martin. I have your oil sitting in the workshop ready to go in.

So anyway 120* is a big no no? I can get over 90* just in CBD traffic.

Brace yourself Duncan ;)

Martin you have probably posted this somewhere before but have you a link from one of your sites or forums to your test results? how much were you able to control tranny temps?

Keep up the great work. I see you are gaining great popularity on NAGTROC... well done!

I took my R35 out to Oran Park today, i was keeping a close eye on the trans oil temps. As has been discussed on threads hereabouts, the temps got to 120*c only after a few laps.

My dealer told me the other day "you'll never get to 120* don't worry" (when discussing the whole warranty thing in relation to track days).

If i were to follow the dealer requirement, i would be changing the oil tomorrow costing the best part of $2k, which is ridiculous of course.

Thoughts?

lol, told ya they had no idea. as I said, 110 on the street is not too hard. 120 on the track is about 3 hard laps of oran park. as for what is acceptable and what isn't, martin would know better than me having actually tested the stuff. but I'd be cooling down if it gets to 130, then get back on it. the new fluid may help too, or at least it should have better film strength and maintain viscosity at a higher temp.

so did you have fun or what? 35 around oran park is a day well spent.

lol, told ya they had no idea. as I said, 110 on the street is not too hard. 120 on the track is about 3 hard laps of oran park. as for what is acceptable and what isn't, martin would know better than me having actually tested the stuff. but I'd be cooling down if it gets to 130, then get back on it. the new fluid may help too, or at least it should have better film strength and maintain viscosity at a higher temp.

so did you have fun or what? 35 around oran park is a day well spent.

I had a blast, the R35 is a bit different to my monaro..... i managed a 1:17.5 so i am pretty happy with that.

I had a blast, the R35 is a bit different to my monaro..... i managed a 1:17.5 so i am pretty happy with that.

very good time mate. 1:17 in a stock 35 with semis is well on the pace. ;) let me know next time you're heading out and I'll try and come out with something. :)

Hi All

Has anyone tried the Willall fliuds yet?

Cheers

Mark

yep, russ put some in the JDM 35 I sold him and he is liking it. I'm sure a fair few people have used it by now.

My advice if you're picking up your new R35 there are 2 things you should get straight away:

1 : Cobb tuning access port

2 : mid pipe (and the willal one looks as good as any, and is made in aus and fair price too).

these 2 things are a great addition to any R35 GTR.

then after a bit of hard driving or a few track days change out the trans fluid for the willal stuff, and if you are planning more track work then consider investing in a trans cooler as well.

enjoy ;)

yep, russ put some in the JDM 35 I sold him and he is liking it. I'm sure a fair few people have used it by now.

My advice if you're picking up your new R35 there are 2 things you should get straight away:

1 : Cobb tuning access port

2 : mid pipe (and the willal one looks as good as any, and is made in aus and fair price too).

these 2 things are a great addition to any R35 GTR.

then after a bit of hard driving or a few track days change out the trans fluid for the willal stuff, and if you are planning more track work then consider investing in a trans cooler as well.

enjoy ;)

Thanks Beer Baron.........

This is my first nissan (thought i may as well start at the top) ever.

What is a Cobb tuning port................. i currently run an Autronic ECU in my rex, but have not heard of this before

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Wild Thing

The Cobb AccessPORT is a flash tuner, it will rewrite the factory calibrations to give you enhanced power. It reflashes the factory computer. I dont think the aussie version is quite ready yet though, or at least the o/s versions havent been tested on ADM cars.

yep, on top of being able to flash the ecu with different performance maps, it also has valet mode maps (ie rev limited etc), and it can clear any error codes without you having to take a trip to the dealer. and it will work 100% on aus models. snowy has one already. I know he used it on jeffs 35 which I believe is aus spec.

it's basically a very handy tool to have, and of course being able to run maps with more boost etc is nice too (providing you keep it sensible - small increase only is the sweet spot).

Hi All

Has anyone tried the Willall fliuds yet?

Cheers

Mark

Has anyone tried heat wrapping the exhaust from the catback to reduce trans temps?

I have read this in a few other forums and it seems to lower temps in the trans AND the rear seat of the car!!!

Is this true???

Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words on our Willall stuff guys, it sure is a labour of love :thumbsup:

However heat wrapping the exhaust wont reduce transmission temperature. The actual heat isnt something that comes from outside the transmission and radiates in, but rather a function of the energy of the engine being turned into drive at the transmission itself. As Newton was quick to point out there will indeed be conservation of energy, some goes into transferring power, some into noise, and some into heat. Good lubricants and good coolers can drastically reduce the transmission temperature, and the applications of these on R35 I do happen to know something about :)

Thoughts?

Tx. Cooling is definitely one upgrade that all R35 trackers should seriously consider but you should also think about changing the exhaust setup to let the cooler do it's job.

I just noticed a build on the NAGTROC site where they've fitted the WL GR6 cooling system but the GT-R's awkwardly positioned muffler (on the quad tip system) is literally kissing the WL rear mounted radiator while also completely blocking it's air flow.

The ZELE car had a single sided exhaust setup and the volume of space it clears up for the radiator is simply staggering. And theirs was a twin muffler system but simply making it one sided moved both mufflers right out of the way of the radiator. A single pipe system with only one pack would clear even more room.

Using a single pipe also frees up the exhaust exit point on one side so there may be a possibility of fitting a secondary radiator there, air flow permitting. 

Has Willal run any cooling comparisons with different exhaust arrangements?

• 1 month later...
As Newton was quick to point out there will indeed be conservation of energy....

Absolutely incorrect. Newton described the three laws from which todays classical mechanics are based. The law of conservation of energy is generally accredited to Noether some 250 years later in the early 20th century.

Absolutely incorrect. Newton described the three laws from which todays classical mechanics are based. The law of conservation of energy is generally accredited to Noether some 250 years later in the early 20th century.

So you registered as a member of the Skyline forum and used your first post to object to who was stated as the founder of the law of conservation of energy.....nice....you are going to be a worthwhile contributor. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...