SAU Community

Purchasing A Car Interstate

MFC05

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has ever purchased a car from NSW to QLD. I would like to hear people expriences who have done this ?

1. How did you transport the car ? drove it up / or transport company

2. If driving it back up to QLD what registration does it involve ?

3. How much roughly dose it costs to transport a car ?

Thanks for everyones help

My V35 was trucked up from NSW to QLD cost was built into purchase price but on average I'd say around $300 - $500 depending on who you use. Car had 3 months NSW rego courtesy of car yard, so I drove it in QLD until it had about a week left, then went and got a safety certificate (most mechanics can do this, usual chk on tyres, leaks, rust etc...just roadworthy stuff) , took it to QLD transport and got new plates for it and that was it, easy.

I would never truck it..

As "Great ocean road" and your new "dream" car comes into play...*pants tighten*

I would always make sure you drop the oil, plugs, filters and what not after i buy 2nd hand cars.

couldnt hurt to do a coolant flush too.

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has ever purchased a car from NSW to QLD. I would like to hear people expriences who have done this ?

1. How did you transport the car ? drove it up / or transport company

2. If driving it back up to QLD what registration does it involve ?

3. How much roughly dose it costs to transport a car ?

Thanks for everyones help

1 - drove it. got unlicence car approval from RTA

2- went to RTA with original owner got temp rego - paid $35. tossed my trade plate on it when I crossed the border.

tried to do a trade plate from sydney to brisbane - told by the police not to as I would be driving a unregistered vehicle. this is a bit of a grey area and hot potato as I go 4 different answers from 4 different stations and the RTA. one said yes I could 3 said no. I took the safe option.

3 last one I trucked from sydney was $600 to rosewood - that was in '06. when I drove the last one up it took $110 to do it inc rego and 10 hours travel that was june 08.

Edited by Chris Rogers

I'd drive it.

However I made the mistake of driving a RX7 with no more than 50mm of clearance from Townsville to Brisbane in a single night, needless to say pretty much all my suspension bushes were f**ked and I had to purchase a brand new coilover kit.

Would definitly reccommend you drive it back. Drove my rx7 from Sydney back to Bundaberg because it still had nsw rego on it and had so much fun. Some really nice fun roads along the way and i learnt so much about the car in such a short time.

Drove it round for a couple of months till the rego ran out then went and got a road worthy and took it to queensland transport.

Drive up.. you can leave their plates on it then.. Get a RWC done, then take the plates and RWC to QLD transport. They give you new plates and a refund (NSW Trasport do but can be done through QLD Transport) on the remaining amount..

I wouldnt necessarily recommenfd driving around for the remainder of the rego (depending on what's left) as you want the car in your name, and if there is mods/etc that won't pass RWC then you have time in which to get them sorted.. Buying from dealer ensures that you got a good chance of passing RWC but you still never know..