SAU Community

Pffft. And There Goes My Turbo

Tangles

Welll well well

was feeling all fine after recent tuneup, gave her a service myself new plugs etc.

driving home last night going up the expressway hill I had heaps of bad surging (1psi) couldnt boost anywhere near asper normal, and black smoke billlllowing out the exhaust (on boost only)

felt bad, climbed up off boost in left lane.

today driving, same thing. boost is bad (wound down the ebc to .3bar) as soon as it hits 1psi - 3psi it is surging, airflow is all turbulent, and the turbo sounds like its working its head off (not squealing, just 110% load), lots of black gooky smoke and just generally bad bad.

So, it seems my turbo oil seals are farked. When the head was being worked, the tomei oil restrictor in the head meant there is more pressure going thru the turbo line, hence boostwerks said they fitted a better flowing oil restrictor to the Sliding Performance 360degree thrust bearing nissan r33 stock highflow turbocharger, steel wheels with ported housings.

Seeing this had happened previously (ie a few months ago at the garage) Im guessing that would have had an effect on the journal bearings. And now she's starting to die.

An untimely death, but perhaps timely.

You see Im doing a project, twin turbo manifold with twin stock nissan ball bearing highflow's.

Untimely in the fact i cant afford to do 2 at the moment, nor the manifold. However I have already received the new Garrett Ball bearing for the core $140 and paid $99 for a new comp.wheel/turbine shaft set.

thats $239 usd all up, will rebuild and spend some cash on a rebalance at a turbo place like ATS.

However Ive got another dead turbo here kindly donated, and will rebore the housings of this one out at my pops place, and eventually order another bb core and turbine/comp.wheel set, rebuild the donated turbo.

Its just going to take a while before I'll have the funds to do it all, due to intake fabrication required and exhaust manifold and work to flow two dump pipes into one (same with intake, same with charged air to the cooler, need 3x Y pipes)

bad luck that the turbo has started to fail just now (-600 on my visa is all I have got to my name) but good luck that I was already ordering parts.

now back to ripping apart the donated turbo to see what else I may need via a rebuild kit.

oily black smoke on boost = turbo dieing. 20,000kms old, never went past 1.09 bar, but it was only $600 3.5yrs ago plus a dead turbo. Not too bad, seeing now I can make it Ball bearing. Not sure if the 16G compressor wheel will be ok, nor if the TD05H turbine shaft will fit ok. If not its $100 for a Garrett 60-1 comp.wheel and $170 for the turbine shaft. trying the cheaper way 1st. fingers X'd

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You 100% sure it's not IC piping? Steve had this same issue on his car, turned out there was a crack in one of the silicon joiners. Check that just in case, you never know

You 100% sure it's not IC piping? Steve had this same issue on his car, turned out there was a crack in one of the silicon joiners. Check that just in case, you never know

Will do. letting the car cool down right atm, and will spend some time going over everything, put it up on the stands and search, but perhaps I'll start anyway to pull bits off this week.

get to the turbo and have a good look. Just takes me time with no knees and lots of pain, so slow going but have to do it. Stag is coming off the road :blink:

not a problem, cheers tho.

none of the cooler pipes down low look out of place

tomorrow will inspect everything.. not enough light now.

100% sure its not IC tho, felt ic-issues before but this seems different..... want to see the shaft(s) of the turbo.

if its black its fuel dude dont stress, unless just your rear wheel fell off, ive seen a seal go before and its pure white just oil in the exhaust!

ah 'k

cheers for the replies and ideas

will check over in the morning and sort thru it all.

Correct... And that surging issue also point to IC piping in some way. I'll almost put $50 it's a silicon joiner and once pressure hits (boost) it flaps open causing compressor surge

yeah Brendan ive done 2x 90 degree pipes now the 2nd one made me shit my dacks as i thought i blew the turbo even got a tow home from luke to find out we could of fixed it there and then

and i couldn't see the split either till i putted it off

yeah Brendan ive done 2x 90 degree pipes now the 2nd one made me shit my dacks as i thought i blew the turbo even got a tow home from luke to find out we could of fixed it there and then

and i couldn't see the split either till i putted it off

ah ok

hoping its that then.......

will see tomorrow

cheers

cheers ken & andy

tis' ok tho, pulled the pipes off everything to the turbo, cleaned afm pod etc, touch of oil as one pipe gets closer to the turbo (pre-intercooler)

oil all around the underside of the compressor and around the compressor housing, looks like oil seal to me

:P

no shaft play to speak off, comp.wheel and intake look really good nick, so says to me its inside the turbo, oil seal...

will take off the dump and drop the turbo from the manifold shortly, slow-drain the fluids.

all ic-pipes look and feel ok for leaks; definately turbo / oil related.

it isnt the turbo

now looks to me like its from the engine

bottom end may be going, cant tell, but here's hoping its just the oil pump then.

anyone down south have a compression kit available to lend out?

I should buy one but cant till this thursday (disabled pension fyi Kralster, feeding 4 ppl and a morgage on 400pf isnt easy dude)

around $50 for a basic compression testing kit but put my last 50 yesterday into petrol lol !

so. all in all, I now think its the engine NOT the turbocharger

hey sorry wasn't trying to be rude or anything, sorry if i sounded like a dick.

Just borrow a compression kit if you can, that 50 bucks can be better spent on your family. I'm sure someone here can help you out.