SAU Community

I Don't Love My Skyline

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was in love with mine when i first bought it. until all the niggling boost leaking issues, clutch pedal snapped off, diff issues, this and that needed replacing and no amount of $$$ i was spending on it was going to give me a return these skylines just start to fall apart eventually

in the last 3-6 months i had it i hated it so much and couldnt wait to get rid of it.

its what you get with spending money on a 10+ year old turbo. spend more money for diminishing returns. in the end i think most people get rid of it because the pain outweighs the fun.

wouldnt surprise me if most people selling in the "cars for sale" section on this forum are doing so because their car is falling apart and they're sick of spending constant $$$s fixing it.

the day i sold my skyline was one of the happiest days of my life. biggest sigh of relief. the sigh could be heard for miles.

Edited by DrewII

So basically you gave up...

But to do what, buy a brand new wrx, would of cost a few $$$$$.. you drove it off the floor and lost at least 5000$ straight away, while in 3-5 years you will be lucky to get half of what you paid for it and your talking about diminishing returns..

Im not having a go cause i can completely understand y u did this..

But if you really have the car bug bad like alot of us here, your gunna want to sooner or later modify this new car as well, which will indeed be a more expensive excercise than your old car was..thus leading to even greater diminishing returns.

Either that or you will eventually sell it buy a Camry realizing that you,ve grown out of it

Mate i would love to sell my car cause it drives me friggin mental. i also have a hx holden( gts mock-up) i would love to sell..But i just cant do it.. since i was 12 i've been pulling bits off and swapping bits and fixing bits on cars ..i have box loads of car mags that i couldn't part with either..not a day goes by when i dont scream enough, get rid of it all, free me of these mechanical demons that burden my soul..

But then i take her for a drive nice quiet road some nice bends stretch its legs on a straight , no-one around cool night breeze, and all these worries are gone if only for an hour or so..

And if something breaks its exciting cause theres a reason to try something new in its place.

When you go out and spend 100$ at the pub on a saturday night do you worry about diminishing returns or enjoy it for what its worth..

Ive driven alot of cars and i still think the skyline is one of the nicest all round rides out there, old cars do break but parts are a hell of alot cheaper than for new ones ,not to mention a wealth of knowledge to read up on..modifying new cars can be alot of trial and error...in 10 years your wrx will be worth 10-15g maybe.. you would have lost 20-30g not to mention service costs and basic maintenance..

over the next 10 years lets say i spend 20-30g on my skyline...It would be one hell of a ride whereas your car will still be just a wrx

Only problem i have now is im starting to wonder is this a hobby or an obsession.

And if it is an obsession is it healthy...

N.B. no offense intended towards your rex. Im sure its a sweet ride :D

So basically you gave up...

But to do what, buy a brand new wrx, would of cost a few $$$$$.. you drove it off the floor and lost at least 5000$ straight away, while in 3-5 years you will be lucky to get half of what you paid for it and your talking about diminishing returns..

Im not having a go cause i can completely understand y u did this..

N.B. no offense intended towards your rex. Im sure its a sweet ride :(

i know where you are coming from. and you are correct. however i was spending my weekends fixing, driving around for spare parts etc etc stopped actually "enjoying" my car. and because it was a daily driver when it needed a part fixed that stopped me from driving it each day i obviously had to sort out that problem that weekend (which i may have had other shiit to do ie going out, functions, beach etc).

and this is one of the reasons why i bought a brand new car. it does 0-100 in 5.3 seconds in standard trim. 0-400 in 13.4 seconds stock. and shoots around wakefield park in 1:12 stock, it performs as well in the wet as it does in the dry, sat nav, electric sunroof, full leather interior, blue tooth hands free, rear parking sensors literally all the latest technology and some nice toys to boot (Sti gear knob, sti shirt shift kit, sti front lip) and ALL FACTORY FITTED WITH 3 YEAR WARRANTY, a phenomenal AWD transmission and a fantastic engine, and they even chucked in 3 years 24/7 NRMA assist. and theyre still extremely cheap for what you get. they're japanese after all.

the other biggest reason why i bought the car was for tax purposes. i construct a log book as i use my car daily to drive between sites (company accountant) so i calculated that after 4-5 years of ownership, as long as i sell the car and not give it away for nothing (and so long as my business kms are extremely high which they are and i can easily appropriate to the tax man) then after the tax savings and sale price. the car would have cost me virtually nothing to own in those 5 years of ownership.

and the same goes with any car i choose to purchase in the future. under a hire purchase due to the fact you can claim depreciation on top of everything else once you sell the car its basically cost you hardly anything at all during the time of ownership (so long as your business usage is very high). obviously need to keep it for long enough to get a big enough tax saving but around 5 years and yeh. this was a massive factor for me.

so it was a calculated purchase. but also one because i was sick of spending weekends fixing my car, and not even being able to drive it during the week as i needed it every day. the car had to go.

i'm only 24 so i'm definitely still into my toys and will be for a very long time to come.

Edited by DrewII

i know where you are coming from. and you are correct. however i was spending my weekends fixing, driving around for spare parts etc etc stopped actually "enjoying" my car. and because it was a daily driver when it needed a part fixed that stopped me from driving it each day i obviously had to sort out that problem that weekend (which i may have had other shiit to do ie going out, functions, beach etc).

[...]

i'm only 24 so i'm definitely still into my toys and will be for a very long time to come.

Who are u trying to convince? Us or yourself? :)

Either that or you will eventually sell it buy a Camry realizing that you,ve grown out of it

Just because someone gets over the whole 'modification' bizzo, doesn't mean they impose upon themsleves a lifetime of boring motoring. IMO, I don't know what I'd rather do, housework, or drive a toyota Echo/Corolla/Camry. They are as boring as batsh*t. A WRX on the other hand, or an SS commodore, XR6T, BMW 325/330 or something like that.. A number of good cars out there on the market that are great fun to drive without the ususal performance import nonsense..

I've had my GT-T off the road for three months and I'm now kicking myself for not buying a 325 E46, but I know I'll get the R34 taxi back and I'll love it more than ever...

Still, I'd never subject myself to an echo/getz/camry/rolla/mazda 2/3 or anything of the sorts.. If I wanted to drive sh*t I'd bolt a steering wheel onto my thunderbox...

i convinced myself months ago

and since then have been reaping the rewards

and from my experience i suggest you do the same.

Sure I'd like to take one for a spin, but I prefer that more lower coupe type look, you know....wind the window down etc

Plus I'm still enamoured with the whole Skyline thing....the round rear lights etc. Just love it. The sound (and smoothness) of the RB.

I can't think of another car (that I could realistically afford) that I would rather be driving. Maybe a Silvia? Supra (pricey)? Aussie V8's and turbo V6's just aren't by thing. I went through a stage of being after say a late 90's STi but never went through with it.

If it was possible to drive while blindfolded I'd also own a new subi.

Technically brilliant, aesthetically yawn/barf

It'd be like going to bed drunk and finding a highly skilled yet very ugly woman already in your bed.

Turn off the lights and you're in for a good time, but next morning something doesn't sit quite right and although you had fun you're not really going to brag about it in the light of day.

Just because someone gets over the whole 'modification' bizzo, doesn't mean they impose upon themsleves a lifetime of boring motoring. IMO, I don't know what I'd rather do, housework, or drive a toyota Echo/Corolla/Camry. They are as boring as batsh*t. A WRX on the other hand, or an SS commodore, XR6T, BMW 325/330 or something like that.. A number of good cars out there on the market that are great fun to drive without the ususal performance import nonsense..

I've had my GT-T off the road for three months and I'm now kicking myself for not buying a 325 E46, but I know I'll get the R34 taxi back and I'll love it more than ever...

Still, I'd never subject myself to an echo/getz/camry/rolla/mazda 2/3 or anything of the sorts.. If I wanted to drive sh*t I'd bolt a steering wheel onto my thunderbox...

why has it been off the road for 3 months?

It'd be like going to bed drunk and finding a highly skilled yet very ugly woman already in your bed.

Turn off the lights and you're in for a good time, but next morning something doesn't sit quite right and although you had fun you're not really going to brag about it in the light of day.

...but it keeps happening again and again right? :D

and this is one of the reasons why i bought a brand new car. it does 0-100 in 5.3 seconds in standard trim. 0-400 in 13.4 seconds stock. and shoots around wakefield park in 1:12 stock, it performs as well in the wet as it does in the dry, sat nav, electric sunroof, full leather interior, blue tooth hands free, rear parking sensors literally all the latest technology and some nice toys to boot (Sti gear knob, sti shirt shift kit, sti front lip) and ALL FACTORY FITTED WITH 3 YEAR WARRANTY, a phenomenal AWD transmission and a fantastic engine, and they even chucked in 3 years 24/7 NRMA assist. and theyre still extremely cheap for what you get. they're japanese after all.

the other biggest reason why i bought the car was for tax purposes. i construct a log book as i use my car daily to drive between sites (company accountant) so i calculated that after 4-5 years of ownership, as long as i sell the car and not give it away for nothing (and so long as my business kms are extremely high which they are and i can easily appropriate to the tax man) then after the tax savings and sale price. the car would have cost me virtually nothing to own in those 5 years of ownership.

and the same goes with any car i choose to purchase in the future. under a hire purchase due to the fact you can claim depreciation on top of everything else once you sell the car its basically cost you hardly anything at all during the time of ownership (so long as your business usage is very high). obviously need to keep it for long enough to get a big enough tax saving but around 5 years and yeh. this was a massive factor for me.

so it was a calculated purchase. but also one because i was sick of spending weekends fixing my car, and not even being able to drive it during the week as i needed it every day. the car had to go.

Yeah tax incentives make a big difference dont they..

And you dont have to throw the salespitch at me i know they are great cars ( cough butt ugly cough cough).. i was thinking along the same lines (Liberty GT).. but no tax incentives here meant i bought the missus a honda and kept my sky...unfortunately i dont get the best of both worlds..one is mega comfy.. the other lots of fun to drive...And when im driving one i always want the other.

Personally i like working on my cars in my time off. But if it consumes too much of your leisure time (and if you dont consider working on cars leisure) i agree it is probably not worth it ... new born baby tends to leave me stuck at home more often now and im actually contemplating selling the sky for a 500hp engine rebuild on the kingswood....as i dont get much chance to drive the skyline anymore ..and i just dont have the funds to do both.

It would handle like crap and be an absolute pig to drive...but a quik stab of the throttle and i would soon forget that