SAU Community

Why Shouldnt I Sell The Skyline For A Wrx?

Hi There People!

Ive had my line coming up three years now. And not that im falling out of love of it. Im thinking of the wrx because i love the sound and i want a 4 door but dont want to get a family car. and also would like the AWD. my line is 96 r33 series 2 m-spec with 140k on the clock... and im looking at selling that and getting a 2000 or less model wrx... :thumbsup:

What should I do?

I know this is skyline forum but im hoping for people in similar situations rather then pure skyline lovers.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mods will mostly just be visual. basic like rims and lowering... thats about it. the idea is to be a sporty daily. and exhaust and fmic

and no i didnt know there gearboxes were crap... ive heard there expensive though

Edited by Julzillionaire

Seriously though WRX's have several mechanical problems.

- An engine that is low on torque and power.

- Is expensive to modify.

- Gearboxes made of play-doh.

- Honestly the AWD system is poor in comparison to an equivilent EVO.

- Actually has very limited wheel selection.

Look at an Evo VII GT-A with the sequential box. Can pick them up fairly cheaply now. Plus their not as obnoxious as the Evo GSR. Gearboxes are quite strong. Parts are cheap. You can squeeze 20" mags under the guards with little/no modification. Better engine. The ones I have driven tend not to understeer and instead seem to be quite neutral. There is also massive aftermarket support.

Seriously though WRX's have several mechanical problems.

- An engine that is low on torque and power.

- Is expensive to modify.

- Gearboxes made of play-doh.

- Honestly the AWD system is poor in comparison to an equivilent EVO.

- Actually has very limited wheel selection.

Look at an Evo VII GT-A with the sequential box. Can pick them up fairly cheaply now. Plus their not as obnoxious as the Evo GSR. Gearboxes are quite strong. Parts are cheap. You can squeeze 20" mags under the guards with little/no modification. Better engine. The ones I have driven tend not to understeer and instead seem to be quite neutral. There is also massive aftermarket support.

i dunno about the GT-A box being that strong.

they use the same W5A51 as the legnum vr-4's, oh which 90% of them shit the torque converter seal, and its a bitch to replace (good 12 hours labour, and i've done it 4 times)

and i also managed to completely destroy a planetary gearset in one. they aren't too bad if the fluid is changed often, and the CORRECT fluid is used... even then mine imploded though.

the thing i find with the WRX boxes blowing up is when they're given a heavy duty clutch - pretty much 100% of my mates who've installed a HD clutch after their standard one has died have ended up with dead boxes or rear diff. my mate who has installed a standard diff into his rs turbo (not a wrx but they have much weaker boxes anyway) hasnt had any dramas.

but yea - i wouldnt trade a skyline for a WRX unless it was a MY02. the turning circle is alot better and they feel stronger all round... still a gay 4wd though.

Hmm I have heard the legnum boxes do tend to break and I wasn't aware that they were the same 'box... But my point remains the same.

All of the people I know who have wanted to get serious modifying a WRX has resulted in gearbox problems. Sure the Mitsubishi crowd have the same problems but comparatively they are better than the Subaru equivilent.

Honestly I would just stay in a R33/34 but if I had to change it would be an Evo over a WRX - plus they are a rarer sight on the roads than the WRX fraternity.

Don't get a WRX as they sound shit, look shit, drive shit and are 4-cylinder pissweak schmucks... Personally, I love the sound of the Skyline engine, the way it looks, drives and feels...but if you do want to give it up, definitely go EVO before WRX...WRX's are freaken bug-eyed shitboxes!!!

i dunno about the GT-A box being that strong.

they use the same W5A51 as the legnum vr-4's, oh which 90% of them shit the torque converter seal, and its a bitch to replace (good 12 hours labour, and i've done it 4 times)

and i also managed to completely destroy a planetary gearset in one. they aren't too bad if the fluid is changed often, and the CORRECT fluid is used... even then mine imploded though.

GT-A would be a good 100Kg lighter though, the one C-Red built was modified pretty heavily for an auto....ask them if they have had any dramas or not.

WRX's also look like a random combination of parts under the bonnet, I'd hate to work on one.

They all sound exactly the same, have really high insurance premiums due to the amount of dickheads who own them, and everyone I know with one which is making decent power has had to fit a dogbox to cope with >150kAWKW.

Edited by bozodos