SAU Community

Why Shouldnt I Sell The Skyline For A Wrx?

As a WRX owner I'm pretty shocked at how biased (and misinformed) some people are in this thread!

First of all just to be clear, I'm not a Nissan hater all, I've had a 300ZX TT and quite a few pulsars before, and I have mates with skylines.

Nissans are awesome cars, but so are Subaru's in their own way.

I currently have an 2003 STi and have previously had a 2000 WRX.

Moving from a Skyline to a WRX, I think you'll really appreciate a WRX so long as you expect it to be what it was designed for (an AWD turbo sedan/hatch).

It is not a RWD coupe so you can never expect it drive the same as skyline.

Firstly, yes the early 5spd WRX boxes are known to be weak, but treat it with respect and it will return the favour.

I.e. no clutch dumping, flat shifting, and one very BIG NO NO which people commonly do is installing a brass button style clutch. And obviously cars with close to double stock power at the wheels or more will have a much higher chance of failure. But these are all things you should expect from a fulltime 4wd.

I'm not sure if many Skyline owners know this, but the 6spd boxes in 02 onwards STI's are the strongest boxes Subaru ever built, in fact one of the strongest japanese boxes fullstop. They are completely at the other end of the scale compared to the 5spds in terms of strength.

Try googling broken 6spds, you'll struggle to find more than a couple instances around the world, if any. Many run around 300awkw+ with no troubles.

So please don't generalise by saying all WRX boxes are rubbish!!

As far as understeer goes, my car has none whatsoever, if anything I have a little bit of oversteer.

05 onwards STIs even have an adjustable centre diff to change front to rear torque split ratio, thus letting the driver control the amount of understeer/oversteer.

All non STIs have 50:50 split, but even with them understeer can be sorted out easily with a couple simple mods like swaybars, etc. My 2000 WRX had no understeer, stuck to the road like it was on rails.

And as far as being cop bait, are you kidding? All us performance car owners are in the same boat........ we are all the same to them. If it's fast, then it's a cop magnet full stop.

Oh and those who don't like the sound of WRXs....... hmm well that's purely an opinion because many including myself think they sound tough as, very deep and ballsy (with a good exhaust).

All in all, WRXs are awesome cars when treated well and modded correctly.

My suggestion is, if you want a WRX go for an 02-onwards STI, you get the tough 6spd gearbox/LSDs, forged pistons, semi-closed deck block, huge brembo brakes and heaps more.

02 STIs are a very tough piece of machinery and can be had as little as 20g, and willingly cope with mods and high boost.

PS. why are people comparing an EVO to a WRX?

EVO competes with the STI......... the WRX had no competitor from Mitsu for 12 yrs between 1996 till 2008, (the GSR back in the old days and now the Ralliart)

Hope I've helped the OP and others who may have been a little confused about WRXs. :D

Edited by LetThereBeBoost

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only rexy worth buying is the 22b

with a 13b quad rotor conversion or an RB25:ninja:

You mean a 26b quad rotor right? thought so.

Rex'... always liked them still would to have one for a change, but I will be down grading in performance to what I have atm.

Comfy car, easy to drive hold the value well enough. But haven't driven an evo yet that may change my mind.

Bang for bucks is an evo really....better in most areas.

the are only 400 22b's in the world... priced at around $100000... i dont think your mate wrapped one of them around a pole... an sti coupe maybe.

Lol your kidding me right? Raced plenty of WRX's, had a bit of fun with my mates 02 WRX the other day with an sti engine and box, VF turbo upgrade, fuel system, ecu etc etc. Supposibly has 215-220@all four and I left it for dead, wasn't impressed at all.

lol... you're kidding me right??

pm r33, i saw your feature in hpi, your car is impressive, not to my taste but its your car... it has gone beyond simple bolt on mods.. your car would start to spool up when his is dying off... last time i looked, i didnt see any r33 gtst's in superlap... or time attack in japan... or production car cups... or rallying... and they are very rarely seen in targa style events and hilll climbs... so you had a bit of fun with him in a straight line yeh?? wow..

215-220@all four is extremely mild and has no need for a fuel system upgrade yet, not if he has an sti engine... which vf does he have?? as sti's already came with a much larger turbo than the standard vf20 on the rex's.

ive seen a stock looking (clearly engine wasnt stock) my99 wagon do a u turn and then light up all four wheels by just standing on it, not dumping the clutch... just putting the foot down... i have been impressed by wrx's ever since.

I think BJ nailed it!

Also Don't buy a wrx. Buy the STi 02 and up. They can be had for a bargin. The 6spd box is one tough SOB.

I was running one with over 300kw atw ( all fours ) and launched at 6000rpm +++ Never broke! Just four wheels spinning :D

Also Stis get better seats, brakes , engine, suspension ect ect.

Evos are great, just over priced.

I have been giving this whole WRX vs Skyline vs Evo thing a but of thought.

I will make this clear it comes down to personal preference really but having extensively driven all of them (over quite a long period of time though so I'm just going on my memories and a bit of normal everyday knowlege) here are my opinions:

WRX (STi or not):

Upsides: A good everyday car that can be modified to have a good bit of power. The six speed boxes as someone said are incredibly strong. Great grip, fun on the twisties. Good at track days. Massive aftermarket support.

Downsides: Most of the WRX's with the five speed gearboxes are NOT incredibly strong. When you put a proper exhaust on them they sound like a two stroke motorcycle. Everyone owns one and so does their children.

Skyline GT-ST (lets say R33 their the most common):

Upsides: A good everyday car that can be modified to have a good bit of power. Gearbox is very strong. Great in a straight line. Fun at track days. Massive aftermarket support. Women love skylines. Cheap now and in twelve months they'll be cheaper again.

Downsides: No AWD grip. Beaten through twisty roads by an Evo or WRX unless you modify like crazy. Too many bogans with them now. The police love to hate you. Depreciates like a biatch.

Evo (say VII):

Upsides: A great weekend thrasher. Brilliant in a straight line. Brilliant around corners. Brilliant at a track even stock. Massive aftermarket support. Reasonably rare - hardly any around compared to skylines or WRX's. Insane grip. Has been raced in everything from Targa Tasmania to superlap to whatever else you care to name.

Downsides: While the gearboxes are better than Subaru's they are still kind of weak. The one I drove had very hard suspension - wouldn't like to use it everyday. Tad expensive compared to a WRX.

My choice? Well, in terms of car per dollar the Skyline is ahead. Evo's frequently fetch prices well over $25k (the same money could sit you in a fairly well looked after R33 GTR) and WRX's are a tad more expensive than Skylines (unless you want one of those hideous bug eye ones - bleergh). If you can put up with them being common now and find one in good condition that hasn't been thrashed every single day of its life ('cause lets face it everyone thrashes their car at some point) you have yourself a brilliant car.

If I had more money to spend I would step into an Evo.

And the WRX? Well, honestly I can't stand that engine note.

hi from rexnet

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=104696

you jap commodore owners are a ill informed bunch of tossers, glad to see the GTR owners are steering clear of this crap.

Hi There People!

Ive had my line coming up three years now. And not that im falling out of love of it. Im thinking of the wrx because i love the sound and i want a 4 door but dont want to get a family car. and also would like the AWD. my line is 96 r33 series 2 m-spec with 140k on the clock... and im looking at selling that and getting a 2000 or less model wrx... :D

What should I do?

I know this is skyline forum but im hoping for people in similar situations rather then pure skyline lovers.

test drive a WRX and see if you like it.

I test drove a few R33 and a R32 when I looking, they felt very heavy, brakes were bad, boost came on too late. Insurance at the time was ridiculous, WRX was a no brainier for me. That and every one is suspect, be it questionable mileage, lot are damaged repaired jobs, not that the p-platers tossers buying these cars would know.

if your car works and your simply bored of it, it a waste of money changing over IMO

Look at an Evo VII GT-A with the sequential box. You can squeeze 20" mags under the guards with little/no modification.

riceboy.jpg

let me guess you cant drive a manual or know which way to put on your baseball cap, well done

R33 DUDE.

YOu have No idea.

You can not compare and EVO with a WRX.

EVO Vs STI Yes. STI boxes take over 600hp ATW and still don't break.

Evo 6spds are weaker. Evo 5spd from an RS is tough as.

GTST is an old heap of sh*t now. R32 / R33 / R34. All no good compared to an Evo or STI

My BF drives a WRX STI and I still think it's better sounding than an EVO any day.

I think everyone's entitled to their opionion. I still respect his car for what it is and he respects mine.

Just sell the car if you're bored and get something you like, stop posting silly quetsions like this. We don't care?

You guys have no idea what real power is....... my VW Polo GTI with exhaust, intercooler and APR chip would leave all you skyrice (including GTR's) owners for dead

Go for an Evo. Hell i'd take a '92 Evo 1 over a MY08 STi; it may be old but at least there wont be understeer.

There's a reason the Evo vs STi/WRX Eastern Creek scoreboard reads 3-0 to the Evos.

Hello to all the rexnetters! :P

You guys have no idea what real power is....... my VW Polo GTI with exhaust, intercooler and APR chip would leave all you skyrice (including GTR's) owners for dead

You're turning into a new rogercordia, go f**k off elsewhere back to your polo forums ... dumbflamin mongrel..