SAU Community

Looking For A Good Restaurant

akeenan

Hey guys

Im looking for a good restaurant.

Somewhere with great atmosphere(romantic), great service, good "Australian" food, nice fish, steaks, starters etc , that has a good bar (wide selection of beers, cocktails), and a nice view would be good(but not essential).

Something a little nicer than a pub bistro / outback steakhouse etc

Dont mind spending a bit of cash.

looking for something in the fine dining area,

Have looked at a few places and a lot of internet reviews, but still cant find a place.

thanks for any help chaps

forget those shit places they are overrated. My choice is Rockpool. I'm a regular there, the other day I sat next to ron walker....been there so many times.

Best restaurant in melbounre peroid. Food, experience, atmosphere and service is top notch. Wine list is one of the best I have seen.

hey mate, defs go rockpool, been there before, best atmosphere ever, seriously nice food. a steak would cost u about $65 for memory, but best streak ive ever had in my life, melts in ur mounth, down at southbank. another good place is silk road.

Edited by BIGGERDave

forget those shit places they are overrated. My choice is Rockpool. I'm a regular there, the other day I sat next to ron walker....been there so many times.

Best restaurant in melbounre peroid. Food, experience, atmosphere and service is top notch. Wine list is one of the best I have seen.

oh, yeah pretty much what he said, soz didnt read everybody elses post.

so you havent been to vue du monde then....

If you want good food with really friendly staff, dont know about the bar as i dont drink but looks decent, and you want a drive with views i reccomend the Ranges in olinda, i dont reccomend the food or service at sky high but its got the view for after dinner :S

every where else i eat isnt "aussie" food

++++++ for VUE de monde..www.vuedemonde.com.au contomprory french chef is shannon bennett and

321. chef is Andrew McConnell's Restaurant modern aussie www.threeonetwo.com.au

my fav's.

hardware lane in the city, 2nd restaurrant on right when u walking down hardware lane from lonsdale st. has candles on tables, jazz band plays near by and good atmosphere.

all these places are modern australian, and got two hats in 2008

Ezard - http://www.ezard.com.au/

Rockpool - http://www.rockpoolmelbourne.com/

The Botanical - http://www.thebotanical.com.au/

Pearl - http://www.pearlrestaurant.com.au/

ezard and pearl are asian/australian fusion

hardware lane in the city, 2nd restaurrant on right when u walking down hardware lane from lonsdale st. has candles on tables, jazz band plays near by and good atmosphere.

the mill

my fav's...

its not strictly australian (ok so mod aust/asian fusion) but IMHO the best restaurant around (value inc) is matteo's in brunswick st

the head chef brendan mcqueen was the head chef of ezard for 5 years, and does similar food at half the price... i used to be a chef there and that's a pretty big recommendation for a chef to tell people about somewhere he USED to work :(

an 8 course degustation should set you back around $150ph with wine matching inc. (best option)

2 hats again this year and the service/surroundings are amazing

for french and exceptional value go to bistro vue... the offshoot of vue du monde....

great frence bistro food at an unbeleivable price for what you get, not cheap, but not hatted prices either

not to mention think hard when you are chosing from the menu and you can find some food that was definately meant to be used in the real vue du monde the day before...

italian - guiseppe anarldo and sons is great for the price... interesting space and great traditional italian fare.

Got to agree with Matteo's for value for money in a rated restaurant.

All these other places (i.e. Vue, Rockpool, the Botanical, etc.) are great, you can't go wrong. They are all pricey too though :(

Got to agree with Matteo's for value for money in a rated restaurant.

All these other places (i.e. Vue, Rockpool, the Botanical, etc.) are great, you can't go wrong. They are all pricey too though :(

Cant go wrong with those above. La Luna is pretty good as well (beef is aged on the premises).

Outside of the city my favourite restaurant is Mercers in Eltham.

The chef Stephen & His wife Ute are amazing! Modern Australian with Asian influence.

VERY reasonable pricing for what you get. Atmosphere is great, wine list is amazing, service is fantastic and the menu changed seasonally.

http://www.mercersrestaurant.com.au/

thanks everyone for your recommendations, Ive certainly got a lot of research to do in the next few days. and a bunch of restaurants that I must try in the near future

Mr Oizo , I need a house before someone can cook at it unfortunately ;) , just returned from Japan, so as soon as i get a job, a house will come. (***touchwood**)