SAU Community

Supercharging R34 Skyline

if i spending that lil extra money increases the life of my lisence then im all for it,turbo ill have that blow of sound, supercharger wont,and a sc14 is only a small toyota supercharger.

it wont be a 'lil extra' you'll need brackets, pipework, etc all custom fabricated

then depending on how much power you want to make, injectors, afm, ecu/tune, etc etc...

what is this great idea you have of hiding the SC? so far it seems like hopes and dreams without any real actual thought put to it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i enjoy driving with abit of an angle,thats my hobby so if spending a lil extra $$$ on making my car that little bit easyer to drive sideways then im more then happy to do it and take the risk's,i just want info on it before i go and "waiste" my money.

it can be done, but I'm not sure how in a stealth way... I guess whatever info you can gleam off this:

SV100532.jpg

Turbo_dSupercharged_Skyline.jpg

There's a bloke in VIC who runs a twin scroll on his RB25DE. The SC14's a great little supercharger, I ran it on a 3SGTE on one of my previous cars with some custom piping, belts and pulleys.

I still say just turbo it and hope for the best, run a hidden recirc valve instead of an atmo BOV etc.

everyne has there own opinion

yes iknow that turboing is easier and cheaper, but im not one to follow the flock of sheep down that path..........

i'm all for being different, but there is also common sense to... $30k on a super charged setup will get you an equal/better turbo setup, plus probably a fair few other things including brakes and the like (which shouldn't be skimped on either)

flock of sheep? 90% of those with turbo skylines got it like that from the factory...

i guess i'll stick to be a sheep with a 400hp RB25DET in a passage GT, everyone has those.

it can be done, but I'm not sure how in a stealth way... I guess whatever info you can gleam off this:

SV100532.jpg

Turbo_dSupercharged_Skyline.jpg

There's a bloke in VIC who runs a twin scroll on his RB25DE. The SC14's a great little supercharger, I ran it on a 3SGTE on one of my previous cars with some custom piping, belts and pulleys.

I still say just turbo it and hope for the best, run a hidden recirc valve instead of an atmo BOV etc.

thanks for the pic,making it stealthy is going to be hard but not impossible,trial and error i guess.

if i spending that lil extra money increases the life of my lisence then im all for it,turbo ill have that blow of sound, supercharger wont,and a sc14 is only a small toyota supercharger.

I don't mean to weigh in here, but maybe you need to do a little research before you go down that road. Firstly, as said before SC's do make sound, and then some (SC make a pronounced whining noise all the time, not very stealthy now is it?) and Turbos don't always make BOV noses either, only ones with externally venting BOV and Wastegates do - proper (stock) ones dump the excess air back into the intake line quietly (with the added benfit of not running rich too).

SC's have BOV's as well, in all likelihood it's not the turbo or SC the police will notice, it's the huge exhaust, intercooler and fact that a p-plater has a skyline that will attract attention. After that they'll go over it with a fine toothed comb. I got stopped by TMU (highway patrol) at my parents town once, and interrogated by the roadside over burnouts and drag racing, while they pulled apart my car (despite the fact that I haven't lived in the place for 2 years) purely because someone with a similar car rolls about town.

STOP! Opinion time!

There is no reason a supercharged RB25DE stroker won't make decent power levels running a vortech style blower. The only thing i would be concerned about is the amount of crank energy required to turn that supercharger. This is keeping in mind that at a similar output the supercharged mercedes SLK V10 (I think) needs well over three hundred horsepower just to turn the supercharger to produce six hundred ish.

The hotrod sitting in my fathers shed with a roots style blower has a 440 big block and has been built by a mechanical engineer and a bloke that builds race engines (who happens to also be the cars owner - go figure). Its streetable (just) and is often taken on cruises. That makes about 660 HP (perhaps more now it has been rebuilt a bit stronger) and more torque than you could imagine.

To bring things into perspective the best CAPA supercharging kit for a L-98 or LS3 produces around 500kW (670HP) and thats with a massive cubic capacity advantage.

In terms of dollars per HP I can't imagine its a wise investment.

30,000 + purchase cost of N/A R34 (I assume around 15,000) / 750 = $60 per HP.

With half that money you could build a killer RB30/25 at around $30 per HP while retaining the same peak power and most likely similar power/torque curves.

Fair enough do something different and pave the way for others. I agree its an exciting concept. I want to see the pictures when its done, perhaps even come along to an autosalon event and see it in person. However there are a multitude of problems to overcome in theory let alone in practice.

Supercharging can net the same result as turbocharging, but turbocharging is cheaper and better established because most skylines were turbo'd from stock. Thats the end of the story.

Back to the dude wanting an SC14 on that RB25DE - don't bother a) its too much hassle for too little gain b) you will be caught and fined. No you can't hide a supercharger, not even if you were McGuyver.

*nicks some popcorn and takes a seat*

Edited by R33_Dude

STOP! Opinion time!

There is no reason a supercharged RB25DE stroker won't make decent power levels running a vortech style blower. The only thing i would be concerned about is the amount of crank energy required to turn that supercharger. This is keeping in mind that at a similar output the supercharged mercedes SLK V10 (I think) needs well over three hundred horsepower just to turn the supercharger to produce six hundred ish.

The hotrod sitting in my fathers shed with a roots style blower has a 440 big block and has been built by a mechanical engineer and a bloke that builds race engines (who happens to also be the cars owner - go figure). Its streetable (just) and is often taken on cruises. That makes about 660 HP (perhaps more now it has been rebuilt a bit stronger) and more torque than you could imagine.

To bring things into perspective the best CAPA supercharging kit for a L-98 or LS3 produces around 500kW (670HP) and thats with a massive cubic capacity advantage.

In terms of dollars per HP I can't imagine its a wise investment.

30,000 + purchase cost of N/A R34 (I assume around 15,000) / 750 = $60 per HP.

With half that money you could build a killer RB30/25 at around $30 per HP while retaining the same peak power and most likely similar power/torque curves.

Fair enough do something different and pave the way for others. I agree its an exciting concept. I want to see the pictures when its done, perhaps even come along to an autosalon event and see it in person. However there are a multitude of problems to overcome in theory let alone in practice.

Supercharging can net the same result as turbocharging, but turbocharging is cheaper and better established because most skylines were turbo'd from stock. Thats the end of the story.

Back to the dude wanting an SC14 on that RB25DE - don't bother a) its too much hassle for too little gain b) you will be caught and fined. No you can't hide a supercharger, not even if you were McGuyver.

*nicks some popcorn and takes a seat*

you know, i was just about to say that......lolz very good post!

I admire the superchaged route, im glad the bloke got a 'few' good posts of information so he can make his decision

ok so if i don supercharge and dont turbocharge then how do i get the extra hp for the same price?,i need just that little extra bit of power,guess i could put smaller wheels on the back but id prefer more power haha

ok so if i don supercharge and dont turbocharge then how do i get the extra hp for the same price?,i need just that little extra bit of power,guess i could put smaller wheels on the back but id prefer more power haha

You buy a GTR when you're off P's

Simple.

Simple.

i dont want all the wheels to spin just the back ones :D ,and i dont want to give up something i love doing just because the police dont want me to.

Ahhh kids.

Am i the only one that finds this topic ridiculously hilarious?

Here's my suggestion:

-Keep your R34 as is.

-Follow the rules

Your talk of a stealth supercharger will simply not work (For cheap + in order to fool a half decent cop + everything else that needs to be done to the car to get your setup working).

Upgrade when you are off your P's. This is exactly what i did and it gave me something to look forward to.

You cannot get away with anything these days. As other people have mentioned. Cops have it in for imports, more so skylines + p platers.

I have a p plater friend with a bog stock r33 gts4 (non-turbo) that has been pulled over multiple times in a week. Not to mention the problems i had (Full license + R34 GT-T)

Save your money, drive safe, best advice i can give you :-)

Edited by lukebaldan

i dont want all the wheels to spin just the back ones :D ,and i dont want to give up something i love doing just because the police dont want me to.

you're a retard.

keep your shit off the street before you hurt someone.

Once you loose your license for going against the laws... Post up.

It'll be good to hear how suddenly you respect the law :P

Once you loose your license for going against the laws... Post up.

It'll be good to hear how suddenly you respect the law :P

Agreed, R31Nismoids accounts of his run ins with the law and disputes with the constabulary's point of view made for entertaining reading in the past years.

He's the law's bitch these days :D

Work the fark out of the engine dude.... head work, cams...injectors...cold air intake...exhaust/extractors etc etc....You need force induction to get power...you need force induction to get better power. An NA will perform better in some areas then a turboed car.

Simple.

Don't be ghey.

Dude....thats just wrong seriously.

As for super charging and spending all that money...why not just twin charge it......smaller super charger and big turbo...she'll be sweet then...and you can spend 30k easily. Just an idea.