SAU Community

After having a look at the various threads on people replacing their OEM swaybars with thicker whiteline one's and the overwhelming positive response they receive I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the same with my NA R34.

I'm not sure if it's just my car, but it appears that the NA R34 coupes did not come with a rear swaybar as standard!!!

So my question is, if this is the case, has any other n/a r34 owners fitted rear swaybars to their cars?

If so what are the parts required (other than the swaybar duh), any modifications required to fit and approx cost?

Also what diameter swaybar people went with and the part # would be an excellent help to me :D

Thanks in advance to those who respond...

Resh

Oh and before anyone says "do a search"... I have and can't find any info on NA R34 swaybars. After learning of differences in suspension set ups between the n/a and turbo's I thought I'd ask here before dropping a couple of hundred one something that doesn't fit.

Edited by resh

i would recommend doing both front and rear.

fronts go for a thick 24mm one (adjustable or fixed doesnt matter), usually the largest fixed one you can get.

rears go for something around the same size maybe 22mm but definitely an adjustable for the rear.

the swaybar settings will be dependent on your coilover setup.

normally you will be experiencing some understeer or oversteer.

harden up the rear swaybars to induce oversteer

soften up the rear swaybars to induce understeer

that's pretty much it in a nutshell, the setup is of course a little more dynamic than that and highly dependent on tyre grip!!

swaybars will ultimately reduce body roll when doing high speed turns. the weight is distributed to the inside wheels and you therefore put more tyre grip on the road.

hope that helps

How much more harsh is the ride in an R34 after fitting both front & rear H/D Sway Bars ? (whiteline)

I don't 'think' that sway bars make the ride harsher, rather just stabilise the load between the two sides of the vehicle.

I can't really comment too much on the before and after with sway bars as I also had 30mm lowered king springs fitted at the same time as my whiteline bars, but I can definitely say that it made a difference to the body roll.

The combination of spring/shocks and tyres/tyre pressure used would make a lot more difference to comfort.

I am in no way a suspension expert but that is how I understand it.

Ah Nathan you've had some fitted?

I'm aware you have a sedan but do you know what was required in order to fit the swaybars?

Did you just use the same part numbers at the turbo and it was more or less plug and play or did you have to add anything else that the NA was missing?

To be honest, I'm really not sure... I got a quote from Fulcrum for springs sway bars and fitting + alignment and they ordered the parts. They may be the same? Sydneykid will probably be able to answer that question for you. Or give Whiteline a call.

GTR parts tend to have different mounting points. I believe another member on this forum has found out the hard way after purchasing parts for his na r34 only to find that he requires GTR parts (as the GT-V's have the same 4wd setup). Unsure about r33's but if the r34 is anything to go off I would be pretty certain they are not compatible.

Also for everyone else who is interested I've shot off a quick email to whiteline in regards to the NA R34 compatibility and what's additional components are required (if any).

I'll post up their response once I've received it.

I'll try dig up my invoice from Fulcrum to see what part numbers are on it. If I recall there was mention of GTR on a couple of parts, I just thought maybe its just the way they entered the inventory on their system, perhaps a part suitable for most models... but maybe it is in fact different.

I'll see what I can find later tonight.

It's amazing how many companies who are supposed to know these things will term interchangeably use any skyline variant. For example the place i took my r34 to get coilpacks and a general service done printed R34 GTS on the invoice. Pretty sure there is no such thing as an R34 GTS!

If you can just get the part numbers later on Nath I'll cross reference the whiteline website to see if they are indeed parts interchangeable with the GTR.

Bring it up in suspension. I can't seem to find it anywhere! which is strange cause I keep all my car stuff in a folder...that I try not to look at lol I wouldn't have thrown it though as it had all the alignment results etc.. so if it comes up somewhere I'll post up.

We just put the Whiteline bars on my 32. We just took the rear back off and put the standard one back on.

Reason being my lap times were no better in some case's worse.

The bars we got have 2 setting's (I dont know if they are soft/med or med/hard) we tried them on the far end setting, no good, moved them both to the inside setting, was a little better but still heaps of exit oversteer. The front feels good but the rear doesnt. We only have basic setup, no coilovers, tyres that are getting old.

I read that its better to have a stiffer front and a softer rear so we will try that and see how it goes. Problem is we just dont have the money to go testing so it will be race day before I know if its good or bad. Which is NOT good.

Visit My Website

Edited by johnGTS-t

Wow - that sure is news to me... I thought all "modern" cars regardless of brand etc.

Reason being my '83 Bluebird (not a TRX) has a stock rear sway bar as well has the R31 skylines out there....

My R34 n/a (non- gt-v) sedan has them stock - I imagine the R34 coupes will have them stock due to being more "sportier" so to speak.

I just want to clarify are you refering to the rear strut brace (this is the brace you see in the boot and rarely comes with with almost any car) as opposed to the rear swaybars (which are "under" the car)?

After having a look at the various threads on people replacing their OEM swaybars with thicker whiteline one's and the overwhelming positive response they receive I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the same with my NA R34.

I'm not sure if it's just my car, but it appears that the NA R34 coupes did not come with a rear swaybar as standard!!!

So my question is, if this is the case, has any other n/a r34 owners fitted rear swaybars to their cars?

If so what are the parts required (other than the swaybar duh), any modifications required to fit and approx cost?

Also what diameter swaybar people went with and the part # would be an excellent help to me :banana:

Thanks in advance to those who respond...

Resh

Oh and before anyone says "do a search"... I have and can't find any info on NA R34 swaybars. After learning of differences in suspension set ups between the n/a and turbo's I thought I'd ask here before dropping a couple of hundred one something that doesn't fit.

ah, good point Mark but surely Resh knows where he should be looking.

I've had the adjustable Selby front and rear swaybars and whiteline pineapples in my car for over 12 months now (from memory) they joined the Aus-spec Tein SS's. I installed the rear bar and pineapples myself but had to take the front swaybar to a shop to put on. I couldn't believe how much the swaybars improved steering feel and stability but they also increased ride harshness. the front bar is on the softest setting and the rear bar is on medium (again from memory). the teins are also on their softest setting.

i really can say, 'the car handles'. the amount of corner speed i can maintain is awesome and it always feels planted giving remarkable feedback.

i remember a cruise i was on towards the end of last year up north of brisbane going through some good twisties to get to the final meeting spot I had a GT-t behind me which couldn't keep up although I'm unsure of the GT-t's level of mods and drivers experience.

also as a reminder my car is a GT-V.

Mark I can understand how absurd it sounds that an R34 of all cars would not have it at standard but I assure you mine does not have one (and yes, I'm not confusing this with a strut brace). At first I thought that the owner in Japan must have removed it but after hours of searching this forum I found one or two others who have also realised they do not have one.

Of course there is that possibility that the Japanese owners of all of our cars were deluded and thought it would be a clever idea to remove the sway bar, but if they were that way inclined they wouldn't be driving skyline's in the first place!

For anyone who is keeping an eye on this thread I still haven't received a response from whiteline or another suspension/handling mob I've emailed but I'm sure the coming of the working week will bear some fruitful responses.

ah, good point Mark but surely Resh knows where he should be looking.

I've had the adjustable Selby front and rear swaybars and whiteline pineapples in my car for over 12 months now (from memory) they joined the Aus-spec Tein SS's. I installed the rear bar and pineapples myself but had to take the front swaybar to a shop to put on. I couldn't believe how much the swaybars improved steering feel and stability but they also increased ride harshness. the front bar is on the softest setting and the rear bar is on medium (again from memory). the teins are also on their softest setting.

More info regarding the ride harshness please Reggi :P Been thinking about fitting a set.

You can PM me if you want. Cheers.