SAU Community

5.1 Speakers...what To Buy

nice 28

hey guys don't really know much about this stuff so pretty much im just looking for a set of 5.1channel speakers to hook up to mostly my ps3 but occassionally my ipod or laptop.

have been looking at the logitech z5500

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers...24&cl=us,en

has pretty much everything, but no clue where to find it and prices i've heard are around 320-350ish.

any other suggestions?

www.staticice.com.au

Good place to start for pricing.

Although i aint seen the Z5500 for less than basically an even $400 since the markets went to shit in Oct - if you can pickup for $320-$350 (the old pricing) i wanna know where :)

Other than that, have a bit of a google and read reviews of various things.

Whirlpool forum will usually have stuff, and if there is anything wrong you'll find out cause those guys love a whinge :D

I just bought this for the living room for PS3 etc. http://www.sony.com.au/product/dav-dz870w

the big benefit is you can connect VIA HDMI and optical cable for great quality picture and sound. also, the rear speakers are wireless which in my mind is a must have. nothing worse than trying to run wires for the rear speakers across the ceiling, or across the floor, or around the wall etc. AND it comes with an ipod digital media dock which is cool. works with my iphone too.

the sound out of it is great. and never mind the sony price of $1100. they are currently on sale at sony and JB hi-fi. not quite under $500, but not too far out of it. which is bloody awesome value.

thanks for the replies guys.

in regards to the sony one's looking for something with smaller rears and front speakers, and as you said wireless is a must, and im 99% sure the logitech one's have 4 satellites (so im assuming wireless??)

without looking too hard found the z5500's for $369 at Smartcom Computer Solutions (9553-6199). Any clue whether they sell them at jb? I'm sure I could get them at mate's rate's there :)

hey guys don't really know much about this stuff so pretty much im just looking for a set of 5.1channel speakers to hook up to mostly my ps3 but occassionally my ipod or laptop.

has pretty much everything, but no clue where to find it and prices i've heard are around 320-350ish.

any other suggestions?

i think there average

Get Logitech Z-5500. Great speakers. I picked them up with the were about mid $500 - quite some years ago and they're still going great! I use it with the PS3 and the PC.

The z-5500s are great for smaller rooms, also be on the look out for some kind of THX-certified Altec Lansing speakers.

From what I have read the Altec Lansing tend to have better mid range compared to Logitechs.

^^ also cos of the design of the (Z-5500) sub it's bass heavy and so it misses some mid-bass.

nice 28 - The Z-5500's isn't a wireless system, however, the discontinued Z-5450 had wireless rear speakers. Also, satellite speakers is just the name given to little speakers that reproduce sound only in the mid to high end pitch range.

Get Logitech Z-5500. Great speakers. I picked them up with the were about mid $500 - quite some years ago and they're still going great! I use it with the PS3 and the PC
Same here except for paying retail :P and the only prob I've had was when the .25c fuse blew.

i got the logitech z-5500 too. Awesome system for a smalish room. I got mine about 4 years ago from Harris computer store for $400. Ineteresting to see they havent changed price.

Edited by Pattygtst

wow can learn so much from reading a few posts.

Well let me re-state my question now.

What wireless speaker system, 2.5 channel, is worth buying, under 500?

and again thanks for the replies.

wow can learn so much from reading a few posts.

Well let me re-state my question now.

What wireless speaker system, 2.5 channel, is worth buying, under 500?

and again thanks for the replies.

One thing you have to realize is that even the so called "wireless" systems still have the power cord running from the wireless speakers that must be connect to a power source somewhere (unless its running on batteries which I doubt it will).

Also, when you say wireless do you want all 6 speakers to be wireless? As the only wireless systems I have seen only have the 2 rear speakers "wireless" the front 3 & the sub woofer still has the wires.

Finally the only ones I think that are </=$500 are the Z5450s (not Z5500s, those aren't wireless) mentioned above.

There are a couple of entry level home theater DVD systems which have wireless rear speakers although I think most of them are over the $500 mark.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

if you want decent quality and decent sound, and wireless rears you aren't going to get any better at the price than the sony system above. there are some samsung systems etc that are only a little bit cheaper, but the fall in quality is huge. the logitech type systems are toys really. designed to be used with your PC etc in your bedroom. they are ok for their price, but don't be under any illusion that they are great speakers or processors. and no wireless of course.

yeah it's not stellar. even on the $$ models. if you want ultimate SQ then you need wire! but for lounge room systems where convenience is important wireless rears are a godsend.

+1 for Z5500s i use them for music and movies in my bedroom which is 4x6m so the other guys may be correct in regard to only suiting smaller rooms. Also youd need to lengthen the cables if your room is bigger..

• 3 weeks later...

any other suggestions?

Get em they rock. I have some and ive never had trouble with em

^^ also cos of the design of the (Z-5500) sub it's bass heavy and so it misses some mid-bass.

nice 28 - The Z-5500's isn't a wireless system, however, the discontinued Z-5450 had wireless rear speakers. Also, satellite speakers is just the name given to little speakers that reproduce sound only in the mid to high end pitch range.

Same here except for paying retail :P and the only prob I've had was when the .25c fuse blew.

HAHA the exact same thing happened to mine went to dick smith and got about 10 of them for $3 since replacing havn't had any trouble with them, well worth the money :)