SAU Community

Testing For Faulty/fake Z32 Afm

Kwyjibo

Hey guys,

Just bought a used Z32 AFM and I'm a little worried its a fake as it has the Nissan logo on the side and I have heard some people say the dodgy ones have this. Apart from that the JECS sticker looks fine and the mesh is good(not sure what a 'bad'one looks like though).

I was wondering if I could test it easily by checking the voltage of my standard AFM under 0 load at idle and up to around 5000 RPM, then wire in the Z32 AFM and do the same. Am I correct in thinking that the voltage should be linear against the air flow, and that the reading of the Z32 AFM should be approx 20% lower than the standard? I just don't want to do the test and think its faulty then find out that they are both meant to read the same up to the certain point, then the Z32 starts to read lower after say 3v or so.

Also I know this will run the car lean for a second, will this be ok if I do it for a second while in neutral with 0 load?

Cheers,

ADrian

this is what a fake z32 looks like

youll note from the pics, the label is crooked, the mesh looks cheap and nasty

the unit works but the voltage is all whakco and runs like a bucket of crap

a legit Z32 should be around 0.5v at idle

should have an orange JECS label on it

http://paulr33.skylinesaustralia.com/photo...z32/page_01.htm

Hmmm ok. Mine looks like that except the JECS label doesn't look dodgy at all. Can't really see any problems with the mesh(sorry don't see what is cheap about the one pictured except it is deformed, mine isn't). Is the Nissan logo only on the dodgy AFM's?

nah the nissan logo is on the plastic casting, i originally thought it didnt contain nissan

but it does, as jecs/bosch made AFMS for nissan

whats the issue with yours?

what car are you trying to use it on?

what happens at idle?

what ECU are you using?

you cant it with a stock ecu

Nothing wrong with it as I don't have an ECU to run it on yet, I just stressed out when I saw a thread about them and mine looked the same(Nissan logo, sticker has JECS at bottom left rather than ÚNISIA JECS CORPORATION however it doesn't look dodgy). I was just hoping to test it in some way before I payed for a tune then had to go back but I guess its a legitimate one. Might try to quickly hook it up at idle on stock ECU just to see what voltage it reads.

Edited by Kwyjibo

Ok just tested the AFM on standard ECU at stand still and logged the following voltages so if the AFM's are linear in their readings its a fake.

Standard AFM: idle - 1.1v

2000 rpm - 1.45v

3000 rpm - 1.7v

4000 rpm - 2v

'Z32' AFM : idle - 1.1v

2000 rpm - 1.5v

3000 rpm 1.7v

4000 rpm 2v

So can we confirm that the readings are in fact linear so I should be reading much lower at idle, like does it read lower only above a certain airflow(Paulr33 I know you said it should read 0.5 on idle but is this confirmed?)

Ideas anyone? Defintely a fake?

Was going to test it under actual load today but one of the bolts on the turbo elbow snapped and I have a boost leak now so I don't imagine I would be getting full airflow.

• 4 months later...

sorry for bringing up an old thread, is it ok to hook up the z32 to a stock ecu to just check it it idles at 0.5v using the datascan cable to confirm it is ok and genuine??

just turn the key to ON, no need to start it

it should read 0.5v with the key at ON

again agree with ash, voltage at diag vs running and working are two different things

Just because it idle's or whatever doesn't neccesarily mean it'll work in my book

That way to interpret the results are,

- if its not 0.5v with ignition on (NOT idle) its definitely a fake, or stuffed

- if it is 0.5v with ignition on (NOT idle) it may or may not be a fake

So you can only confirm the negative with that test.

interesting, so the aftermarket oe REPLACEMENT afm's from bosch are no good? why are they a oe replacment?

putting a bigger airflow meter on with standard ecu is pointless. just like throwing a big four barrel on a mini... unless tuned you will go backwards.

also the voltage logs above appear to have no real gain in putting a z32 on? as its outputing the same voltage? ie it will max out at the same cfm as standard it would appear.

im obviously going to tune it. going to run a z32 with a nistune board. but i purchased a z32 afm the other day and only when i got home and started preparing the plug i noticed it is onli a 5 pin plug and socket, not 6. so is this a dead give away or do some come with the 5 pin plug, its in great condition, the sticker is straight and looks gen. i contacted the previous own how still claims is gen and said i can get my money back if im not happy. also doesnt have the nissan logo anywhere????

here r a few pics

post-46165-1254397634_thumb.jpg

post-46165-1254397699_thumb.jpg

post-46165-1254397749_thumb.jpg

The voltage logs were RPM vs AFM voltage.

Air flow is not always proportional to engine RPMs. Although the tests were done in neutral, putting the Z32 AFM on would have effectively changed the tune of the car and hence you could not say that load was equal on both tests.

The only real way to test it would be by comparing a known working Z32 AFM against the suspect one.

Even still, I wouldn't have expected the voltages to be exactly the same.

It could be possible that someone has gotten an RB20 or 25 AFM and put an orange sticker on it. I would say it's very likely since your AFM has a round shape 5 pin plug and Z32 AFMs have a square shape 6 pin plug.

have you messured the diametre of it?

rb25 and z32 are both 80mm so a similar voltage would be expected i spose.

also z32 is a old stlye hot wire design (thin wires in the airpath), where as 25 is a hot film design (flat plate in the airstream)

thats not a z32 plug... mayby a late model one? if its got 30p anywhere in the part number its a z32 series.

could it be out of a laural or something?