SAU Community

R32 Gtr With Dead Engine

hey all,

so im doing some planning and budgeting to get an r32 gtr in a year.. ive decided that i want to freshen the engine up anyway, so im wondering how often does an immaculate or tidy stock gtr come up for sale in japan with a dead or almost dead engine?? roughly looking at spending $10ish on the car and $5-10 on the engine... as opposed to buying a tidy 25g gtr and having it blow up the next day.. the rebuild will be using standard components, to standard specs, nothing fancy.. but just to give piece of mind.

are these cars even eligable for import or sale??

cheers

Linton

i havent heard of this being done before.. you will probably have some trouble with compliance if its not running.

maybe a better option would be to find one with the engine on its way out but not totally blown yet?

the price difference between an 'imaculate' R32 GTR and a 'tidy' one in Japan is considerable. so you would need to get a better idea of what you actually want before you start this exercise. $10k AU=JPY700000 [approx]; have a look on the auction sites and see what that will buy, definately not 'imaculate', probably not 'tidy' either. I imported a 32 GTR about a year ago and the import costs totalled approx $8.5k AU; that's car registered and on the road [not incl insurance]. so your estimate of $15-20k to import a good GTR and then reco the motor here, may need to be revised, in my opinion.

also, I can't understand why you would want to bring a 'dead' engine into Aus; better to bring in a car with a decent engine if you are intent on doing the import thing. otherwise why not just buy a car in Aus with a clapped-out motor and replace it?.

anyway, that's a heads up on my importing experience. good luck with it; there a great car!!.

thanks for the replies... i would prefer to find one in aus... however i want one in completly original condition. by tidy i mean straight.. paint will be being freshened up while the engine is out, bushes and some suspension components will be replaced at the same time.. basically i want a stock, accident free gtr, that doesnt have cutouts for strut braces, gauges mounted in the dash, 300km speedos, etc.. even if everythings stock, but clapped out.. most of it will be refreshed to make it like it just rolled out of the factory.

ive seen some here in aus for $25000 and some for below $15000... most of them however are modified.. $25000 to $30000 will get me a late model v spec.. but for 15 years it could have had a tortured life and the engine may give way on the drive home.. so id rather, for piece of mind, rebuild the engine and replace all the sensors, etc. ive seen one go for $10000 that needed a rebuild and some slight panel work...

time frame is not an issue, labour and workshops arent an issue.

i wasnt after replys on my idea... just if those cars ever came up at auctions..

you'd be better off finding one locally and maybe buying a n1 motor from japan to drop in?

that was an idea... but they are getting fairly thin on the ground.. i could get an r33 engine and go over it before dropping it in, but then it would be a 32 with a 33 engine... which doesnt sit well with me.. i think the original engine, provided its death hasnt cause too much destruction will be fine with a few new components... especially for what i want it to do, which is to sit in the shed pretty much.

thank you for the short answer... that was all i was after... i will venture down other paths.

• 2 weeks later...