SAU Community

Turbo Swap For The Less Knoledgeable

Hi guys,

Sorry to post whats probably a simple question that I cant find in general searching. Though is there a thread or do you's know of many if any direct bolt in turbo's for a ER34, basically a replacement of stock that will simple bolt in without changing/adding lines and the dump pipe etc. The turbo doesn't have to be a huge power increase if any. Basically I'm looking for an option other then finding a stock one to high flow or pulling mine off to send it down south for X amount of time to be flowed and not having the thought in the back of my mind of fatally harming it.

any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers

Hi guys,

Sorry to post whats probably a simple question that I cant find in general searching. Though is there a thread or do you's know of many if any direct bolt in turbo's for a ER34, basically a replacement of stock that will simple bolt in without changing/adding lines and the dump pipe etc. The turbo doesn't have to be a huge power increase if any. Basically I'm looking for an option other then finding a stock one to high flow or pulling mine off to send it down south for X amount of time to be flowed and not having the thought in the back of my mind of fatally harming it.

any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers

There isn't really any direct bolt-in turbos available. I understand Hypergears and KKR's need slightly different lines. KKR's also use a V-Band exhaust outlet(Hypergears as well possibly). You will also need to find a pipe to replace the air outlet(turbo elbow). You could get one of the HKS or Apexi kits but you would be looking at $2500 minimum for these. Might be worthwhile looking at something secondhand but if your worried about a high flow then that may not be for you.

Cheers mate, that was exactly the information I've been looking for :P plenty of info on turbo's, their performance etc but I could never grasp the lines what fits what wont etc.

thanks again

You either have to get ur stock turbo high flowed. They machine out the housings and then put in bigger STEEL wheels. So you can run more boost reliably and flow more air. Hence make more power. But you loose responsiveness and get more lag. You can buy turbo kits like the HKS GTRS turbo kit for RB25DET for around 3000$. A highflo'd stock turbo will be 2000$.

Otherwise with most aftermarket turbos u need custom oil and water lines and custom dump pipes made up.

Cheers mate, that was exactly the information I've been looking for :P plenty of info on turbo's, their performance etc but I could never grasp the lines what fits what wont etc.

thanks again

No worries, I've just been though it all and lucked out and found a HKS2530 kit with everything except turbo elbow second hand. If you do decide to go the highflow route you might like to search for Hypergear on this forum, they offer highflows with a Garett 2871 turbine in it for about $1500 I think. With this highflow you shouldn't lose much response but will get the power gains of a usual highflow.