SAU Community

Learning To Drift

Hey guys,

Thinking bout starting to drift. Nuthin to serious just mucking round maybe the odd track day if i get any good at it.

Just wanting to see what some of you would recomend for a good car to learn in. The budget is about 9-10G and was thinking about r32, 180sx, s14 or a s13 slivia.

Thanks,

been covered a million times.

rb20 r32 or sr20 s13.180sx

drive both see which one you like better

the rb20 is a very strong engine so its good for drift, r32 are a bit more expensive though

Go the S13 Silvia.So many people go spending a fortune on AE86 Sprinters trying to be initial D...Not a good budget drifter in my opinion. Why bother when an S13 comes with the SR20 and beefier Gearbox and diff standard.Whilst the Sprinter guys have gotta spend and change pretty much everything...S13 All the way

Any car thats rwd can be used!

As said, been covered, there is also a "drift" section in the motorsport part of forums.

My old R33 was fun to slide, as was my daily r31

180SX and R32 are the easiest to find a decent one but will probably take all ur budget. Could get a NA silvia but not as easy to find good manuals and wouldn't be as fun as you'd have to work harder to slide it (unless you find constantly holding WOT and kicking ur clutch like it's ur pregnant missus fun, then you will love it).

Either way, whatever you get, make sure it has coilovers and a mechanical diff as the basics. A good race seat and deep dish steering wheel (or bosskit spacer) will let you get a good driving position/hold you in place while sliding. That is almost as important as mechanical mods.

S13

Cefiro

R32

R31

My mate started with an R32, but that had a built RB25 in it. He came 2nd in the WA Drift Final Battle yesterday, not bad for his first season. The car started off as a daily, turned into a full blown drift car.

My other mate is buying a Ceffy for $1500 as a rolling unregisterable shell, and putting an RB25 engine/gear box in it. Will come in way below $10k

I'm buying an R31 for a bit of fun. Weld the diff, strip the interior and add some coilovers. Will be a lot of fun, and I'll add extras as I go along.

Plenty of options for you, just think it all through properly and you should make the right decision!

hey bd_89 have u had any luck looking through the for sale section??

came across this bad boy yesterday,

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/27...ri-t266391.html

could be what your after though maybe a bit over the top i dont know, it looks like the brakes, suspension and engine are all taken care of for ya.

anyway some very helpful suggestions in here, i just thought this sounded like what you might be interested in and around your price range :D

good luck with it mate.

hey bd_89 have u had any luck looking through the for sale section??

came across this bad boy yesterday,

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/27...ri-t266391.html

could be what your after though maybe a bit over the top i dont know, it looks like the brakes, suspension and engine are all taken care of for ya.

anyway some very helpful suggestions in here, i just thought this sounded like what you might be interested in and around your price range :)

good luck with it mate.

Hey,

Yeah ive had a look on a few forums and carsales. Seen a couple of things that are interesting just not in a position to buy for a few months (licence is on vacation). Was just interested in what people would recomend so i could figure out how much i need to save also was thinkin maybe s15 and use as a daily/drifter but the 20g+ price and the thought of bending it dont go to well.

buy my r32, i wasnt planning to sell it but just bought a house and need to focus on that at the moment.

19022009335.jpg

i have been setting it up for drift, but havent actually drifted it.. and with oran park closing down, im turning my attention away fom drift and more to superlap, so a gtr build up is in the planning.

cusco coilovers, hicas bar, cradle bushes, all coolant lines, radiator and thermostat, waterpump replaced, head pulled off and checked, replaced head gasket, safc 2, 300zx afm, kakimoto turbo back exhaust, hdi fmic, 122000kms, 100000km service done, bought as a complete stocker in october 08, sept 09 rego.

its in your price range :D

pm me if your interested at all.. im happy to hang on to it for a while, when it sells it sells. it wont be getting driven much.

cheers

Linton

buy my r32, i wasnt planning to sell it but just bought a house and need to focus on that at the moment.

19022009335.jpg

i have been setting it up for drift, but havent actually drifted it.. and with oran park closing down, im turning my attention away fom drift and more to superlap, so a gtr build up is in the planning.

cusco coilovers, hicas bar, cradle bushes, all coolant lines, radiator and thermostat, waterpump replaced, head pulled off and checked, replaced head gasket, safc 2, 300zx afm, kakimoto turbo back exhaust, hdi fmic, 122000kms, 100000km service done, bought as a complete stocker in october 08, sept 09 rego.

its in your price range :D

pm me if your interested at all.. im happy to hang on to it for a while, when it sells it sells. it wont be getting driven much.

cheers

Linton

Lol, still gotta sell my car buy a GTR and then wait a few more months till i have enough for a drift project, thanks anyways though.