SAU Community

Targa Tasmania - They Are Trying To Shut It Down

Recently there has been a lot of activity in the local Tasmanian newspapers about so-called public outcry over letting Targa Tasmania continue (in particular todays Advocate). The main objections seem to be: the danger and deaths suffered by competitors (a grand total of one), the danger and deaths suffered by spectators, the government funding of the event itself ($260,000 per annum), the way the event "encourages hooning" and the biggest stab of all seems to be that it is a "rich mans sport filled with exotic cars".

It is my intent to write a letter addressing some these concerns. It is still in draft form but here are some of the counter arguments I have.

Firstly I will show that the deaths and injuries suffered over the course of Targa Tasmanias history is absolutely minimal. One driver death and many injuries, the several spectator deaths occured mostly due to spectators standing where race marshals told them not to go i.e. the outside of corners.

In comparison I look at the many deaths at Bathurst, the local track at Symmons Plains, and virtually any other "proper" track around the world from Laguna Seca in the USA to the Nurburghring in Germany. All have had more deaths in the same period as Targa Tasmania - vastly more in some cases. Those racetracks have not been closed nor has it been suggested that they should be closed.

In terms of spectator deaths, if a spectator ignores course marshal instructions and stands on the outside edge of a wet corner covered in gravel just to get a better picture who is to blame?

Also it needs to be said that ANY sport or high risk activity will have deaths and injuries from boxing, to diving with sharks or parachuting, to martial arts to even crossing the road without looking at the traffic. The Targa cars have roll cages, CAM's approved safety equipment and marshals and emergency personnel on hand if something does go wrong.

While any death or injury in motorsport is a tragic loss it is accepted that when you compete things may go wrong.

The next point, the government funding of Targa, is an interesting one. The Tasmanian government puts $260,000 dollars a year into Targa Tasmania. In return the expected return from this years event (despite having fewer competitors than years gone by) will be in the vicinity of 11 to 12 million dollars. With all the zeros attached that is $12,000,000. Which equates to a $46 dollar return for each dollar invested or in percentages a 4600% profit per dollar. There is no business in the world that isn't illegal that can turn such a profit from such a minimal amount of money.

Now there is the "encourages hooning" side of things. This I am a little stumped on how to respond to but nevertheless I will attempt it. What factual evidence is there to support the claim that Targa Tasmania encourages hooning? While the Targa is in progress do police arrests for motor vehicle offences rise? Apparantly not - or at least not in any perceptible manner. How many of the spectators after watching targa go and get in their cars and attempt to emulate the drivers in Targa? Next to none I would bet. Do the V8 supercar events encourage hooning? Does the ANDRA drag racing encourage hooning? Formula 1? The answer is that if it does it would be minor. Young people have always driven cars hard , fast and recklessly. Dare I say that when cars didn't exist they rode their horses hard, fast and recklessly.

The best way to counter hooning is to provide greater driver training - for instance government subsidised defensive driving courses, compulsary driving lessons on skid pans etc. Not fining people for ridiculous offenses (my favourite being excessive accelleration which is judged at officer discretion).

Finally there is the quip that Targa is a "Rich Mans Sport". Yes it is true that you need a decent amount of money to compete in Targa even if you drive a cheapy. However ANY sport at a high enough level has huge costs associated with it - soccer, AFL, cricket, go-karting you name it. 

Of course this isn't how its phrased in the letter (I will  post it up for examination once its finished) but it is the essence of my objections to some of the media opinions and even some politicians opinions.

What I would like is the opinions of some of the Targa competitors on this site. Do you have anything that you could add? 

Oh and the formatting of the letter is in two parts. The first is a short answer suitable for an editorial column the second is a full letter. It will be sent to several local papers and perhaps larger newspapers. If I have anything else I want to add I will post it up here. I think it would be best to counter these assaults on this famous race before it starts to gain political swing. Its easier to get involved now than show apathy.

Cheers.

I don't know if there has ever been spectator deaths?! I know that 3 were badly injured, when they got hit by a mini a few years ago, but i'm pretty sure that none have been killed.

A lot of people that oppose Targa are loud, and do stupid/illigal things to stop stages...eg empting 44gal dums of oil on the road, throwing rocks at cars....

How many other times a year does Longford or G'Town get that amount of people visiting the town, and spending money in the town (if you there for 3 hours, you'll want to get some food/drink)

I think that it's been worked out that Targa compeditors spend $1000 a day when they are down here, then times that for 4 (average of 4 people per car at a guess), then times that by 300. Targa brings a huge amount of money to Tassie, plus it encorages tourests to come for a holiday via word of mouth.

Edited by sav man

Thats correct. The government report shows that Targa Tasmania generates an economic influx up to $12,000,000 - thats a combination of driver/team spending, visitor influx, increased public spending and various other factors. Needless to say it generates a huge amount of profit for the (honestly rather small) Tasmanian economy.

I thought spectators did die a few years ago. Perhaps they were only injured. I am still undergoing research for the article, I want it to be as concise, factual and to the point as possible. As of yet its still in draft form and it may take many, many drafts before I am happy with it.

Thats a good point as well about the people who sabotage the stages or attack cars. I will try and write that in.

Most of the people that oppose it:

A. Have no idea what it is (a gentleman at windermere opposing it thought it was a road bike race)

B. Don't drive a car (The greeny councillor from hobart last year)

C. Are against anything and everything

D. Don't understand the economic benefit to the state

E. Don't realise its a skilled challenge and not a hoon fest.

Most of the people that oppose it:

A. Have no idea what it is (a gentleman at windermere opposing it thought it was a road bike race)

B. Don't drive a car (The greeny councillor from hobart last year)

C. Are against anything and everything

D. Don't understand the economic benefit to the state

E. Don't realise its a skilled challenge and not a hoon fest.

I'm sure they'll be making comments soon along the lines of "Wombats and Tasmanian Devils are killed by race cars every year". The greenies lap that stuff up unfortunately.

I swear to god we have the most retarded population down here. They oppose anything that brings money into the state. They oppose anything they makes money. I'm surprised they aren't opposed to the idea of high speed internet - because it may mean they have to change how they do things.

And if it's not tasmanian devils, they'll somehow link targa tasmania with the proposed pulp mill - you know, a business to make money and provide jobs, but they can't have that.

It's mostly old people with too much time on their hands.

As long as we have a premier who was in a Targa stage, we'll be right :D

The premier being in a Targa stage is a problem though. It means that he is more likely to bow to political pressure because he has a personal involvement.

The population here is a bunch of generally recalcitrant conservatives, so in order to make any kind of impact its best to get your shots off early before it turns into a demanding mob.

I'll add that it's my belief the only competitor killed was way back when cages/helmets/or indeed even a CAMS licence were not compulsory? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Add the fact that all the competitors, and their service crews, typically go home telling all their friends about what a beautiful place it is and why they should visit. It's a huge boon for tourism.

The funny things is there was about 10 times down there when I said to myself "I can't believe they let us do this!"

I then usually paused for a few seconds and followed it up with "I can't believe I'm mad enough to be doing this!"

:laugh:

Anyhoo!!!

Reasons against Targa....

1. So the greenies are at it again are they. To many tree deaths from Targa?

2. A GTR has won twice in the last 5 years there is no need to ban the event because exoctics and Aussie made buckets of crap are being beaten!

3. If the Tasmanian economy doesn't want money or to help people be employed other than logging then can Traga Tas?

It is like with the Grand Prix in Melb and the Adelaide 500 a minority of misinformed latte sipping turtles in postions of influence try to take everyones fun out in the forest and shoot it. But governments look at the $$$$$$ and go mmm maybe not!

Mate add in your letter the point that it turns the roads into a controlled enviroment for people to race on, it's held on on great driving roads and people will still drive on them with or without the control the event provides. Take the marshels and the hay bails away and the only thing left for drivers to hit are other cars and pedestrians... You'd probably be able to word it better than that but you get the idea.

^^ Yeah thats one of the big points to be made however I want to avoid the implication that Targa and so-called "hoons" are related. So I won't be making the point of people still driving the roads if Targa is cancelled.

There definitely is a conection between the people opposing logging and the people opposing Targa from a psychological perspective - not necessarily that I am trying to make the two groups one and the same - in that they are against the profit made, don't know all the facts, have probably never witnessed the event in question and so on. However again I won't approach this topic because its just finge pointing against a group. That would achieve nothing , it needs to be an unbiased, non finger pointing letter.

How good is the fact that over the entire week there was only something like five speeding tickets issued in transport stages for the entire field. work out the kilometres travelled in total.... we are a very responsible lot!

Mark Perry would be able to help you with some hard numbers on previous year's incidents I'm sure.