SAU Community

Has Anyone Tried To Use A Web Cam To Record In Car Track Video?

I was thinking it may be a cheaper option with longer recording time to have a laptop in the car to record web cam video.

they also weigh less than 100 grams.

There are some quite hi rez ones around now that look ok.

Edited by Tektrader69

POV1 make a brilliant lipstick cam with a separate housing that has battery and SD card in it, a bit exxy at $1000 but the resolution is great, there are other things that look like a dildo that are around the $300 Oregon Scientific do a Outdoor Sports cam also on SD card, resolution is OK

Ya gotta watch with carrying a laptop around in competition as it has to be very secure. Better to record onto a lipstick/didldo then download to web later

What is wrong with the GoPro Motorsports Hero Wide camera?

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=2

About $350 and from the videos ive seen on YouTube the video is fine for quality.

I looked at those but IMO the capacity with the largest Sd card is a bit small 60 mins is not enough.

I was gonna screw a holder for the laptop behind the passenger seat and screw the web cam behind my head in the middle of the car.

250 gig would be more than ample I expect. >_<

I havent seem a web can more expensive than $100 so it could well be cheaper and better prviding it will record at high enough rez at 30fps.

The canon HDV camera I bought to record this stuff is BLOODY USELESS.

Edited by Tektrader69

A 2gb SD card is about $13. You would only need to buy 3 of these for 1 trackday, thats about 2.5hrs of video for $40.

I looked at those but IMO the capacity with the largest Sd card is a bit small 60 mins is not enough.

I was gonna screw a holder for the laptop behind the passenger seat and screw the web cam behind my head in the middle of the car.

250 gig would be more than ample I expect. :)

I havent seem a web can more expensive than $100 so it could well be cheaper and better prviding it will record at high enough rez at 30fps.

The canon HDV camera I bought to record this stuff is BLOODY USELESS.

I use a cheapo ($90) SD card camera. It doesn't have the highest frame rate or resolution, 640*480 and 30fps max, but you have to reduce the quality a fair bit for uploading to youtube anyway to get a reasonable file size - at least with my software. The full res video looks fine on a computer screen and OK on a TV. A single 2GB SD card is more than enough for a normal sprint day. I don't have to worry about damaging it (or a laptop) at the track.

Ive got a canon Ixus 900Ti. @ 30fps and 640x480 i get just over an hour from the 8gig memory card. I just bolted it into something stuck to the rear windscreen that has a thread that suits the tripod mount in the bottom. Digicams only weigh ~400grams as well