SAU Community

Is A R33 Type M-r Rare In Australia

Hi all i was just checkin out the rare skyline thread and it got me to thinking i wonder how rare mine is this is what ive been able to find out about it.

it was a limited model made at the end of the series 2 late 97 early 98

it was a 40th aniversary gtst with a gtr body kit

was only avalible in midnight purple

mine was fitted with rays wheels an option "the 400r rims gt2 or whatever there called"

it has 56000klm on the clock two owners one in japan and me and is one of the cleanest r33s ive seen any way take a look at the pics and tell us what you think.

if you own one similar or no someone who does id love to see it

post-47843-1241780685_thumb.png

post-47843-1241780852_thumb.jpg

i know its not super rare and im sure there are others in oz but how many and where even if you seen one before let us know or if anyone has any info on them post it up

Thanks for the very informative post benkoau.

I have never heard of this model before. Perhaps try PM'ing Iron Chef. He imports and otherwise wrangles cars from Japan so he may be able to help you.

I'm pretty sure the Type M-R is different from your regular 40th Anniversary. It has a 206kw instead of the normal 184kw. I don't know if it is due to tuning or if it is a R34 NEO motor. There may be other differences but I don't know what they are?

i also recall reading some were the type m-r was a speacal release for some auto show to show of the midnight paint witch i think is actualy a 34 gtr colour and im pretty sure it has a neo head iv driven plenty of gtst's and its definatley got some mild tuning wether its in the head or cams or ecu im not sure id love to find out

Funnily enough I saw a midnight purple 40th edition GTS-t in a car park today.

I'll do a bit of research and get back to you. Suffice to say it's quite a special car :P

Can you please shoot me the chassis number?

Edited by Iron Chef

Ok, I'm back again with more info. I knew that Nissan had made a few run-out specials at the end of the R33s, and suspected that this would be an example. I must admit I never even knew this model existed! You learn something new every day...

I had my hunches on what mix of parts would be on the car (40th anniversary with all the option parts included), but I thought I'd still consult an anonymous mate who is even more of a Skyline trainspotter than I am. If you hadn't already noticed, the front bar is different to the GT-R.

Anyway, I'll quote his reply when I quizzed him about it.

I've seen a couple of 'em over the years and yeah, they are a variant of the 40th Anniversary edition.

The colour is Midnight Purple 2 - LV4 - as per Series 1 BNR34 GT-Rs. I think it's an early mix though, when used on BNR34s there was less blue or red in it or something.

The front bar is the same as the optional Series II R33 GTS25t bar from Nismo - I've seen it on a few non-Anniversary editions too but it is rare and was an expensive option. It's very much like the upper half of an R33 GT-R front bar but with an integral (non-GT-R) lower lip.

I seem to recall these having GT-R strut braces, A-LSD rear ends, NEO motors (so ~280ps) and a good chunk of them were auto. They had the R33 GT-R rear wing as well, though this was an option for Series II GTS25t owners and not unique to this 40th Anniversary variant of course.

I think these came about in late-'97 to shift the last of the normal 40th Anniversary editions (i.e. people knew the R34 was around the corner and it was no longer the 40th in '98!), to use up the seat/C-pillar badges etc. that they had made up whilst also evaluating the new colour variant; the NEO donk was just a sweetener and, from memory, they'd stopped non-NEO motor production by around that time anyway.

ELMOHASA33, can you confirm if your motor is a NEO version? If it isn't I know they definitely used some R34 engine parts (the crank angle sensor was one of them) on the 40ths.

yes from what i can see externaly it is a little differnt from a series two gtst the cam angle sensor seems to be a bit bigger it has no ignitor at the rear of the head not sure if thats normal or not .....

yes it has lsd and strut braces. i was told this was the first one built and was delivered from factory as is. its a 01/97 so that may be true like i said earlier i was also told my car was made for some auto show so it may be the demo for what was to come id love to find out where and when but it was over ten years ago now.

the vin is : ECR33-134358

the model # is :GGKBTFR33VDAAAYCM

and if some one can point me in the direction of the paint code i will post it as well "my jap aint so good lol" thanx for all the info so far

ps mines manual i dont belive in autos anless your at the strip every week.

I'm pretty sure that most of the differences have been covered above.... I also read somewhere that the 40th also had recaro seats....

Ok it's marked as LP2, so Midnight Purple obviously. Built 12/97 too, for your reference, so I don't think it would've been the first 40th anniversary (they started in October), but if it's a legit Type M-R there's every chance it was the first.

thanx heaps for the info the compliance date on my rego says 02/97 but on the sale recipt it says 01/97 so i dont Know what the deal is with that.

so goin buy the vin its a 12/97?

also im 100% sure this is a type m-r when i bought it it was dead stock had 46000 on it plenty of my mates are pannel beaters and mehcanics as em i and evryone aggrees all parts are factory fitted.

i have seen one other type m-r in queensland but it was auto

wow that's pretty cool if it has a NEO motor in it! Lucky bugger!

thanx it was even better that when i bought it the salesman stuffed up the paper work and put the wrong price on the contract i had spent all day talking him down to 21'990 from 25,990 when i noticed hed made a typo on the contract i pretty much snatched it out of his hands and signed it before he could relise i wont tell you the exact price but i paid under 17k three years ago the manager of the car yard wasnt real happy tried to tell me they couldnt let it go for that price but i stuck by my guns and just repeated "mate we have a signed contract i dont think you have a choice". drove it home that arvo.

best day of my automotive life