SAU Community

Oil Cooler

R34 Sedan

Hi Guys,

As stated I need an oil cooler for my R34 GTT.

It's recently modified and running close to max temp. during winter. This being the case I'm going to need an oil cooler before summer.

I don't want to spend a shit load of money if I can avoid it, that being said I'm looking for a reasonably good quality unit.

I don't see the need to purchase an expensive brand. I know there are a lot of cheaper ones out of china these days, but what's the quality like.

Interested in any thoughts people may have.

Thanks

Paul

On my old R33, I had one from "performance-wise" unsure if he trades anymore, but he had a few threads a couple years back in the traders part of teh forum.

I bought an 11 row cooler with oil filter relocation kit for around 350 delivered, this was a couple years ago now. It worked well and I did around 10 track days last year, no issues at all

Hi Guys,

As stated I need an oil cooler for my R34 GTT.

It's recently modified and running close to max temp. during winter. This being the case I'm going to need an oil cooler before summer.

I don't want to spend a shit load of money if I can avoid it, that being said I'm looking for a reasonably good quality unit.

I don't see the need to purchase an expensive brand. I know there are a lot of cheaper ones out of china these days, but what's the quality like.

Interested in any thoughts people may have.

Thanks

Paul

how much were you looking to spend?

there are univeral kits for about 350 - 450$ that have decent quality

Edited by eeiko321

I run a just jap kit...but with a different core. the quality is good enough but the lines are so damn long...ive got one that snakes all over the engine bay.

But it doesnt cost much to get them shortened to what you need.

I'm happy to spend $350 - $450.

Only thing being if their universal, does that mean I'm up for extra labour costs.

Thanks

well were you looking to install them yourself?

what area are you from?

sydney?

Wait on a sec, just to check, your car was running close to max temp yeah........which guage did you get that info from? Also, exactly what temp (in numbers) did it reach?

I have a HKS oil cooler kit, everything fitted up perfectly the first time, i reckon its worth the extra coin personally. Autosport Engineering in Kirrawee fitted it, go down there and tell the tall bloke that mx5 chris and stev0 told you to go there. Probably wont be cheaper but you may score a beer out of him :P

I got it from the factory guage (not sure of their accuracy, I've heard different opinions).

On a cold day the oil temp runs at about 100 degrees, sometimes a little higher.

Wow, that is a bit warm.

I found a second hand TRUST kit for around the $350 mark. It bolted up first go on my 32, and at the Wakefield track day the temps barely got over 90degrees.

What kind of driving do you do to get around the 100degree mark? Is that just putting around town, or really getting stuck into it?

Putting around town it probably runs about 90 - 95 degrees, but when I really put my foot down (for short periods of time) it runs higher.

I never hammer it for to long as I don't want it to overheat.

buy a trust kit. sure there are cheap kits at only $350 or $400 but at a workshop they can cost up to $500 to fit as there is a lot of stuffing around to do it properly (route the lines, make a duct etc).

The trust kits come with thermostat which a lot of the cheap kits don't. they come with good cores. they don't come with bonus bits of swarf or dags inside. they also come with lines that are the correct length not crazy long ones that have to be looped around. they also come with adapters to fit the proper filter for the car. they also come with quality re-usable earls fittings, not cheap fittings. plus they seal and never leak. they also come with all the extra little bits needed like mounts, ducting, conduit to protect the braid etc. It's easy to see where the money goes when you compare a $1000 trust kit to a $400 chinese kit.

I know which one I'd buy. and I have used a number of trust kits now on my cars.

one tip is do not get the radiator mounted one. get a kit that mounts the core in either of the side ducts. much better.

buy a trust kit. sure there are cheap kits at only $350 or $400 but at a workshop they can cost up to $500 to fit as there is a lot of stuffing around to do it properly (route the lines, make a duct etc).

The trust kits come with thermostat which a lot of the cheap kits don't. they come with good cores. they don't come with bonus bits of swarf or dags inside. they also come with lines that are the correct length not crazy long ones that have to be looped around. they also come with adapters to fit the proper filter for the car. they also come with quality re-usable earls fittings, not cheap fittings. plus they seal and never leak. they also come with all the extra little bits needed like mounts, ducting, conduit to protect the braid etc. It's easy to see where the money goes when you compare a $1000 trust kit to a $400 chinese kit.

I know which one I'd buy. and I have used a number of trust kits now on my cars.

one tip is do not get the radiator mounted one. get a kit that mounts the core in either of the side ducts. much better.

Yeah I tend to agree with you. I've used all high quality parts in my mods so far (including a trust intercooler) so why start using cheap parts now.

Only thing I don't understand is what's a radiator mounted one (do Trust make them?). How do I ensure I get a kit that mounts the core in either of the side ducts?

Thanks Paul

Ive got a kit here with a cooler i got off ebay.. A relatively cheap one but mates have used them and not had any problems comes with relocation setup 3 braided lines and a 30 row cooler. Pm me if interested

Cheers

Yeah I tend to agree with you. I've used all high quality parts in my mods so far (including a trust intercooler) so why start using cheap parts now.

Only thing I don't understand is what's a radiator mounted one (do Trust make them?). How do I ensure I get a kit that mounts the core in either of the side ducts?

Thanks Paul

the radiator mount ones are ones that mount between the intercooler and the radiator. they mount to the front of the radiator. the problem is with no ducting there and other heat exchangers (intercooler, air con core and radiator) they don't get good airflow and don't work as well as they should. I have used one that way (a trust kit on my old 32 GTR) but it was not as efficient as the exact same core duct mounted in my other 32.

Yeah I've still got the stock radiator.

How would replacing that affect oil temperature?

Thanks

It would drop it significantly. Much easier to do than putting an oil cooler in too. Those cheap chinese ones from just jap and the like really work.

FYI I was going to do the same, buy an oil cooler that is...

Ended up buying a upgraded radiator and it dropped the oil temps by about 10 degrees. Also fitted a R33 thermostat to kick in earlier and keep temps lower.

Try that first i think.