SAU Community

Bluebird Rb25det

so i'm considering making a sleeper was thinking the old square 83 bluebird with an rb25det

question is has anyone down this before and how simply is it to put in or are we looking at modifiying the firewall just to get the engine in, am i being an idiot and should stick in a sr20det, i was a r33 man so i do prefer the 25's.

yes i did a search can't find anything on this so any help would be good

even if ya wanna say i'm an idiot and should just get a r32 instead and put the 25 in that

not a stupid idea. awesome idea. i love the old blue's i used to have a series 3 for years.

the issue with blue birds is that the rear ends rip out of them very easily whenever you increase the power, i ripped the diff arms out of my body with a CA20 with a 32/36 webber however i did do lots of burnouts and figure 8's etc with a lock dif.

the motor should fit in with a thermo fan setup i would say, might have to massage the firewall a little but it would be too much of a drama. just watch that rear end, better to make it very strong before you attempt the conversion because it will rip out. S3 rear end 10 bolt diff's are pretty strong and will handle the power for a little. You could also work on a R30 IRS conversion which has been done many times before in those cars as well.

Good luck with it. please keep me up to date with the conversion if it goes ahead!

This thought had crossed my mind as well. I just inherited a series 2 TRX from my sister and was thinking initially of putting in the RB20 that came out of my sisters R32 when I completed the RB25 conversion recently but thought I'd probably prefer the RB25. My intention was to purchase a front cut and use the complete dash (dash surround, instrument cluster, trim pieces etc). This would also allow you to use alot of the wiring from the front cut.

Great idea. If you need someone to wire up the loom to suit I would be only too happy to assist.

There are a number of suspension and brake upgrades you can use which will be sufficient for the increased weight. I am sure you are aware of the bluebird site but just in case www.910bluebird.com. It has alot of the technical articles you will need re brake and suspension upgrades.

I think legally you should be able to do this but I suspect it will the largest capacity turbo motor you can use - you should probably check.

Also note that the Pintara or skyline wagon fuel tank will bolt in place. But must be a wagon. As they have a surge tank and high pressure fuel pump built in, it will save on the external surge tank option if you wish to keep a factory look.

Cheers

Bluebirds are an abomination , been there with a DR30RS in the form of a Bluebird .

Cheap R32 much better thing , all the goodies bolt on plug in without major feats of re engineering .

To do the things mentioned above are not economically feasible when you can buy a car that bolts to the RB25 - and it will handle and stop when its complete .

My advise is don't go there , over to you .

X2. i looked at doing it aswell, ask discopotato about it, and binned the idea straight away.

if anything, go CA18. cheap and cheerful, and will bolt straight up with the right selection of bluebird parts

thanks guys been thinkin bout it and i think i'll prob go down the r32 with 25 in it avenue

getting married soon so i'll hold it for now but after i will be lookin for 32 to transfer it to around the 300rwkw mark

if you know anyone with 32 thats has a 25 in it refer them to me think i'll start with someone elses project and finish it off into a monster 32 i think the skyline bug has got me to good to leave it for a different nissan

Group C Bluebird 910's were fragile things , they spat turbo after turbo and often ended up on the side of the track DNFing .

They may have looked wild in their day with the flares and big (for then wheels) but look at what they went up against - carburetted bat mobiles .

As for the Z18ET , horrible Naps Z cross flow cylinder heads with real low ports and tight small radius bends in the ports .

Emissions rubbish and probably would have been better off with the designed for the engine family L series head .

Purely from a mechanical perspective the CA18DET engines are the easiest turbo conversions into Bluebirds because the series 3 had a carburetted CA20 in it so the gearbox bell housings are dimensionally the same . Also you'd use an S3 crossmember because from memory the inlet side engine mounting bracket etc goes bolt . Need a bit of fab on the turbo side I think . Twin cam CA18 much more modern unit than a Z18 .

Nah I couldn't even contemplate another ADM Bluebird , reasonable R32 GTST's can't be that dear to buy .

A .