SAU Community

83 Skyline Mr30 Front Seats. Repair Or Replace?

Hi,

I'm looking to repair or replace the front seats in an '83 Skyline MR30. The current (original) seats are badly worn and torn.

Options are:

* pull them out and get them reupholstered - expensive - one auto trimmer quoted around $800 for all the seats (and the car cost less than that to buy/roadworthy)

* wreckers - the MR30 seats I've seen are all in similar or worse condition.

* fit seats from a different/newer model.

It looks like the third option is the way to go. Can anyone recommend seats that will bolt straight in or that can be fitted with a minimum of difficulty? (It's an old car in original condition, so brand new "racing" seats won't suit.)

JohnH

John,

What part of your seats are R/S?

Is your car a Ti or poverty pack??

And don't be concerned about the postage, I might need a favour in Melbourne if your near the east side.

Cheers, D

John,

What part of your seats are R/S?

Is your car a Ti or poverty pack??

And don't be concerned about the postage, I might need a favour in Melbourne if your near the east side.

Cheers, D

Seat and back cloth worn through to the foam. Driver's seat especially. The "mechanicals" of the seat seem to be OK.

I assume it's a "poverty pack" model (nothing special - rear brakes are drum).

I'm in the SE suburbs. Happy to oblige.

regards,

John

• 3 months later...

To continue the story... 

An autotrimmer quoted $800 to retrim the front and rear seats. This was a "minimum" retrim leaving all the vinyl and replacing cloth only. A full retrim would be between $1200 and $1500 depending on the material chosen.

Also considered getting seats from a later model car. First thought was an R31 but the rails are different and other models even more different. 

So, back to the wreckers and an R30 ti model that I'd looked at previously. The rears and passenger seat now looked more reasonable than they did before (no rips, no blotches) so have been purchased for about $120. 

Now looking for a driver's seat.

cheers,

JohnH