SAU Community

Stock Cooler

Hey guys,

I have done a search and nothing really has come up. I want to fit a slightly bigger cooler into my car, now I don’t want to go big aftermarket as I’m not a fan of the look. ( I am considering using a matt black spray can to help J)

I would like to get some insight if a gtr cooler will be a straight fit and how much bigger/ thicker it wil be?

I have also considered getting an r34 cooler too?

I only really want to be pushing 10-12psi through it, but not too keen on using aftermarket one. What is the easiest/ best option.

Plus I want to keep the pod, so I guess a stock cooler would make it leagal :D

Btw its an r33t.

Thanks

Pretty sure the R33 and R34 coolers can handle it. I think people just upgrade due to the lower cooling efficency at that boost level. R34 cooler should be alright for 12psi through a stock turbo

Edited by Boostin96

I used a R34 SMIC on my R33 and noticed the difference straight away. Was a direct swap which was very easy to do, plus didn’t have to cut anything off the car. Seemed to rev out a lot easier and was more responsive. If you don’t want a FMIC and only aiming to do the usual mods with 10psi or 12psi, then the R34 SMIC is perfect.

Although Im running a FMIC on my R33 now and it feels even better. Kind of feels like more torque. I was very happy! :D

Running an R34 SMIC will work - However, once the power bug hits you, it will hit hard - and then you will regret not getting a fmic in the first place.

I believe the GTR coolers are more pricey then a aftermarket fmic kit.

The issue with those smic's is heat soak, and LOTS and LOTS of it.

If you can get an R34 smic for dirt cheap(40-50) then sounds ok, otherwise save the money and get a fmic and just paint it black.

r34 SMIC is a straight fit so its a piece of piss to do. Good for 200KW ATW but constant runs see a drop in power. Heatsoak. I havent installed a FMIC for the same reason. That and id rather not hack the shit out of my car to make it fit...

r34 smic on a r33 will handle 200rwkw easy...

but if you want something a little better and still stealthy, get yourself a r34 ARC SMIC..

harder to find, but worth it,,, they flow nearly as a front mount does without the heatsoak or the r34 smic...

or at least that has been the experience with the ARC cooler on my 33...

guys can u explain heatsoak concept i'm not gonna pretend that i understand it. I'm not gonna boost it past 10-12 aka 200 rwkw. So i think that an r34 cooler would be alright?

a) don't wanna cut up all the crap cause makes the car look mega cheap

b) the cooler look doesn't float my boat- Considering getting and aftermarket one and spraying it matt black.

But i reckon that a nissan cooler should be good, like some of the aftermarket crap floating around is pretty bad. The other think i was gonna ask, how does the stock ecu handle 10psi cause i took my blow off value (lol yer i don't like the cooler look haha) cause it was backfiring, skylines are just tuned really good stock i concluded plus the stututututu was too much attention lol

Edited by P1OTR

• 2 months later...

Heat soak occurs when the intercooler can't shed the heat that it removes from the compressed air of the turbo. On a hot day, the intercooler can, like a sponge, become "soaked" with heat and lose its effectiveness.

Heat soak is one of the major reasons that turbocharged cars tend to run slower when the weather is warm.

Common solutions to improve heat soak is the use of a higher-capacity intercooler, or one that's mounted more in-line with the air flow, as in front-mount intercoolers.

before you even consider doing a replacement SMIC please read in full detail;

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...40&start=40

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...tml&hl=smic

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Up...tml&hl=smic

i would go straight for the GTR intercooler its perfect and a factory item

if it is only for street use and you don't drive that hard the r34 cooler will do the job. if you plan on going to track days at all then don't bother with the r34 cooler. it will suffer from heat soak extemely quickly which results in more chance of pinging and less power.

before you even consider doing a replacement SMIC please read in full detail;

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...40&start=40

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...tml&hl=smic

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Up...tml&hl=smic

i would go straight for the GTR intercooler its perfect and a factory item

As the OP was last heard of in May one presumes he has already made a choice but for the record I have read all three of the above links and I am still not convinced that the R34 smic is not a good choice for someone with a stock turbo. If you do repeated runs on a dyno with none of the fan air directed through the side vent then I am sure that the SMIC will get hot but I have used a trust smic on the track (around 200awkw) and when I pull in the inlet pipe (coming out of the intercooler) is cold. I am now running 16psi with a GCG highflow (around 220 -230awkw - will dyno again soon) and have a Nismo smic which is not much bigger than the R34 and it is now probably marginal. I am looking for an ARC smic and that will do me. I have slightly enlarged the vent and have made sure that the shroud directs all of the air that comes through the vent through the smic core. At this level and above I am sure that there will be benefits from a front mount but I don't want one. But with the standard turbo an R34 smic will definitely be adequate - you can pick them up here for $50 - $80 and there is no installation cost and no attention from the cops.