SAU Community

Ripped Car Carpet? Can It Be Fixed Or Does It Have To Be Replaced!?

KR4-GTR

Hey all,

This is probably a real n00b question, I have some rips in my carpet in my car - just near the clutch. (fussy.. i know!)

Does anyone know if this can be repaired or do I have to buy a full new carpet set?

People are always coming up with new **** now a days so I dont know if there are any places out there that can even patch carpet rips? Pref. in sydney!?

Any advice, suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thanks!

are you sure they are rips and not the factory cuts to enable it to be put into position in the car? the car carpet is pretty thick, hardy stuff. I can't imagine it ever tearing unless it was really worn.

it would be hard to repair neatly. you're probably better off buying some second hand.

yes you can get carpet joined again, but f**ks me where you'd take it, try an upholstery shop.

there is a special tape / iron which glues it all together, cant notice the join unless you look real close.

• 2 weeks later...
yes you can get carpet joined again, but f**ks me where you'd take it, try an upholstery shop.

there is a special tape / iron which glues it all together, cant notice the join unless you look real close.

Best 2 suggestions so far.

The motor upholstery trimmer can repair it for sure.

And the adhesive tape can be obtained from Spotlight etc and it sticks to the back of the carpet.

+ BAN STILLETO HEELS ! ! !

Best 2 suggestions so far.

The motor upholstery trimmer can repair it for sure.

And the adhesive tape can be obtained from Spotlight etc and it sticks to the back of the carpet.

+ BAN STILLETO HEELS ! ! !

Its called heatbond tape and is not suitable for car carpet simply because of its bulk. Car carpet is relatively thin compared to regular carpet and the heat bond process would leave a bump where it was joined.

Best bet is some high quality duct tape, If you do it correctly you wont see the rip.

Its called heatbond tape and is not suitable for car carpet simply because of its bulk. Car carpet is relatively thin compared to regular carpet and the heat bond process would leave a bump where it was joined.

Best bet is some high quality duct tape, If you do it correctly you wont see the rip.

cheers for the suggestions guys!

just to feed some curiosity, i took some pics today so we can see the little rips i am talking about haha :) dont know if duct tape will do the trick! one is pretty stuffed and the other is not completely worn through!

post-54322-1244294919_thumb.jpgpost-54322-1244294932_thumb.jpg

post-54322-1244294943_thumb.jpg

With pics #1/2, I would ask a Motor Trimmer/Upholsterer to sew in a neat patch made of either matching leather or carpet!!

After it's done, you'll wonder why you didn't get it done sooner. You'd be best to ask his advice re: pic #3.

Stillettos always leave their mark!