SAU Community

Diy Fibreglass Splitter

jeffworld2

Hey guys, I had fibreglass laying around and wanted to learn how to use it, i want to make fenders and rear guards and a new front bar, but i had never used it before so i gave this a go instead.

Basically removed the front bar, traced around it and added an inch copying the shape of the r34 jgtc cars. I then cut this shape out of thin board and layered fibreglass over the top with a large overlap.

Then this morning i flipped it and did the same on the other side, to make a wood sandwich. Jigsawed the shape back out to get rid of the excess and viola. I dabbed the resin on with a brush, then used a roller to smooth it out and I must say im pretty happy with the result, bit of a sand and its smooth enough to paint.

I figure I installed it on a horizontal plane so it cant offer significantly more drag at low speed, hopefully it does something at high speed. Will have to give it a test at OP.

post-26632-1242458445_thumb.jpg

I have never used fibreglass before, but it was not that messy and I will definitely use it more in the future. I have a question though, what am i supposed to do with the front guards? currently the front bar has no liners in it, i have trayed off the underside but i am unsure of what to do around the wheel. I understand if you guys think this is all pointless aero, but i'm basically having fun spending time doing it.

looks good, only thing is those bits on either side that stick out, cops with definatley appreciate them though.

hard to tell in teh picsture, but is the front edge square or rounded?

• 4 weeks later...

ok new pic, its painted and tested as i had an off at oran park lol. im quite happy it definitely works, i will however remake it as i want it a bit further out, and i will incorporate the undertray so its all smooth

post-26632-1245587005_thumb.jpgpost-26632-1245587023_thumb.jpg

and the undertray

post-26632-1245587128_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

+1 angle up the sides as well would look clean and no cop probz

Other than that you've done a topz job with the lip...

Edited by ShyBoi

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...