SAU Community

Steam Cleaning An Engine

I am looking at steam cleaning an engine thats been removed from a car. It's dirty as all hell, lots of shit built up on it ect...

Looking at getting a steam cleaner to get it nice and clean again.

Can anyone suggest one for me?

I am looking at steam cleaning an engine thats been removed from a car. It's dirty as all hell, lots of shit built up on it ect...

Looking at getting a steam cleaner to get it nice and clean again.

Can anyone suggest one for me?

a few $2 cans of degreaser and a hose should get it, if its really really bad try scraping some of the bigger chunks off first.

there are better degreasers than that $2 shit you get from supercheap - thats just the stuff that will get you out of trouble in your usual day to day.

there are heavy duty automotive degreasers you can get but you've got to wear gloved while using it - just look harder.

i used a high pressure washer that could get the water to 200degrees that works really well, you should be able to hire them but there quite big

LOL heats the water to 200degrees? if it was to be heated to 200degrees within this machine, it would be under an incredible amount of pressure....i mean if it exploded it would cause some serious damage to you!

and as soon as the "water" comes out from the nozzle it would almost instantly turno to steam.

So what i think you meant to say is that it hears the steam to 200degrees under an enormous amount of pressure.....

Lol i thought i would just add my 2cents worth :ninja:

LOL heats the water to 200degrees? if it was to be heated to 200degrees within this machine, it would be under an incredible amount of pressure....i mean if it exploded it would cause some serious damage to you!

and as soon as the "water" comes out from the nozzle it would almost instantly turno to steam.

So what i think you meant to say is that it hears the steam to 200degrees under an enormous amount of pressure.....

Lol i thought i would just add my 2cents worth :nyaanyaa:

Hence the term "steam cleaning"? I've seen these machines, they are fantastic when used with a good caustic degreaser. Bout the size of a small go kart. And yes, they are under a large amount of pressure.

steam cleaners are great if you can get one, degreasers are shit as they leave a horrible residue, but you could use cheap degreaser to get most of it clean, then something like brake cleaner as it doesnt leave a residue, Kenco Shift it is awesome too... or spray and wipe.... spray it on, leave it soak in for a bit, then hose it off.

• 2 weeks later...