SAU Community

Just Got My Car Tuned - R33 Gtr

great work mate, is that at 14 psi?

i recently raised mine to 14psi too! dont know what its running kw@atw though now. haha

nah i think its 17 psi high boost 14 psi low boost.

i got a 30 kw gain out of it and over 100 nm extra

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arent they stock turbos?

are you sure running 17psi on stockies is safe?

the guy that tuned my car said that 17 psi is safe for street/drag just aslong as u cool em down

but if ur going on the track. he recconmended about 10 psi

so yeh

cheers for the tip mate, i'll do some more research and will consider raising mine if its safe! :rofl:

i was hesitant to boost mine past 1 bar because i was under the impression that anything over 14 on stockies wasnt safe / would reduce the life of your turbos.

cheers for the tip mate, i'll do some more research and will consider raising mine if its safe! :banana:

i was hesitant to boost mine past 1 bar because i was under the impression that anything over 14 on stockies wasnt safe / would reduce the life of your turbos.

yeh, well they have 12 psi stock. i went to CRD he seems to know what he is talking about and besides stock turbos on the gtrs are weak anyway.its just an excuse to go bigger and better :rofl: hahaha

let me know on your research mate

17psi sounds like a risk, I run 1bar or 14.7psi and its risky.

The ceramic wheels degrade due to heat, just be careful how hard you push it, you should be fine but if it goes.....you risk the engine too....

wow, you just reproduced almost the exact same words my mechanic said to me today! haha thats crazy!?

17 psi on stock turbochargers?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

for what purpose? your engine is at risk for basically no gain

the compressor wheels would be out of their efficiency and would be adding in a fair bit of heat into the intake charge

it doesn't matter if you run 17psi for a drag or for street or whatever

basically once you load it up, the excessive shaft speed and heat will cause a failure

its likely (very likely) with the standard ceramics to kill a piston or two when it happens

so if you have the $ ready to go for a new engine then keep it at 17psi

the compressor wheels would be out of their efficiency and would be adding in a fair bit of heat into the intake charge

basically once you load it up, the excessive shaft speed and heat will cause a failure

its likely (very likely) with the standard ceramics to kill a piston or two when it happens

Hi Paul, you seem quite knowledgeable when it comes to this!

May i please ask for confirmation if 14psi is safe on stock turbos and stock engine internals?

Cheers mate.

+1. Alwayd personally I havent had any experience of blown turbos but what was explained to me was pretty easy to understand. Ceramic dust from blown turbo get back into the engine system and full stop. Thats a good enough reason not to go that high for boost. When ceramic blow they dont just blow your turbo but anything else that comes after that.

im not even sure 14psi is safe, i mean theres no exact number that makes it safe and unsafe

there are many factors that would cause it to fail, but im sure if you surveyed all GTR owners

the number where the standard turbochargers failed would be around 14psi

one car may run 14psi for 2 months and fail - one car may run 14psi for 2 years and be fine

but, and a big BUT, if you are running say 14psi, i guess you need drive it, knowing, that they may fail

if you can't accept that outcome/consequence and can't afford the rebuild, then you should around 12psi

its not guaranteed they wont fail at 12psi, but the chances are certainly reduced

my 33 gtst has been running 12psi for about 5 years on the standard turbo with 210kms on the clock

im surprised it still hasn't failed but seems to be going alright. when i set it at 12psi i accepted the fact

that it would likely fail and need a rebuild and/or new turbocharger when it goes bad

14psi may be, but its a risk, it just seems with the RB26's, why i dont know

its more likely when one of them fails, it takes the engine with it

cheers mate, cant wait to get my new boost controller.

will be setting it at 12 and have high boost at 14 for the occasional boot :thumbsup:

mine was originally set to 10 psi low 14 psi high.

i had always known that the stock ceramic turbos are common to go caused by heat and high boost. so when the tuner told me he set it to 17. my mouth dropped and i told him are u sure it was safe for stock internals and that.

he said its fine cause im not driving it 17 psi constantly at high rpm thrashing it. he said if its just a boot here and there. it should be fine.

but i agree with use all about it, it is taking a very big risk, and i am considering setting it to normal settings.

thanks for the info guys

The stock boost is 7psi not 14, with the restrictor removed they run at a bit below 13psi. This is the maximum i would run the standard ceramic turbos on. As paul mentioned anything above that and you should be saving for new turbos and possibly a rebuild.

Mine runs at 12.7 psi and i've got 263awkw so you shouldn't need to be anywhere neer 17PSI.