SAU Community

What And Where Can I Get Good Quality Balancers

well im sure both are better than standard. who are ati dealers in queensland/brisbane?? if not where did you guys get them.

cheers for the discussion guys.

mmm...i like pillow fights

thanks for taking the time trent to give ur reasons why u dont like the ross balancers :D

not a dig at trent because he normally explains his reasons and works on these things every day - but there is so much posted on this forum as fact when all it is is second had blah blah from someone else who posted on the internet once.

No-one has posted a decent, sensible reason why ATI balances are so much better than Ross. Or why "the combination of piston and rings makes a big difference" wtf? or why tomei pumps are the only good internal pump, or xyz cams are the only good choice (as if 2 cams with bumps in the same place are different because they have a different brand on them)

This place would be a lot better if people stuck to facts (which they are willing to back up and explain) rather than "I heard about a guy who once had a problem with something falling off"

if you are really hard core consider a garage saurus crank pulley. they are solid, no rubber. but supposedly if engine is balanced well they are a good way to go.

That's a big call. If the device is solid then it will have no ability to absorb vibration. We should really call them harmonic dampeners so we can avoid the "balancing" red herring (tho IIRC on some motors they have counterwieghts which is probably where the balancer name comes from). Even a perfectly balanced motor needs a harmonic dampener, as every crank will resonate, any every crank gets hit with by conrods. Of course under certain circumstances (maybe drag only) you can get away with weird stuff....

Also i'd be concerned that the rb26 and rb25 cranks have different resonant frequencies and unless the harmonic dampener is equally good at dampening the frequency of the rb25 crank, an rb26 dampener might not work well. Whoever's got both cranks should hang them up and tap them with a hammer to see if they produce the same note...if they do the 26 dampener should be fine.

^^^

all theory, so could be BS

No-one has posted a decent, sensible reason why ATI balances are so much better than Ross.

This place would be a lot better if people stuck to facts (which they are willing to back up and explain) rather than "I heard about a guy who once had a problem with something falling off"

well put.

i think half the problem is most of us are brand loyal and im definitely not...another 1 of my examples was that i changed my bike from an r1 to zx10r then gsxr1000. all my mates thought wtf!?

not a dig at trent because he normally explains his reasons and works on these things every day - but there is so much posted on this forum as fact when all it is is second had blah blah from someone else who posted on the internet once.

No-one has posted a decent, sensible reason why ATI balances are so much better than Ross. Or why "the combination of piston and rings makes a big difference" wtf? or why tomei pumps are the only good internal pump, or xyz cams are the only good choice (as if 2 cams with bumps in the same place are different because they have a different brand on them)

i did not want to start slandering other balancers as i have a family friend who works for one of the other balancer companies i figured i would just add my confirmation that ATI are the balancer of choice here @ status. We have used JUN balancers in the past (which are re-branded ROSS) and had no dramas, if you have your engine built here (STATUS) then it comes with an ATI, its my personal (not necessarily the ONLY choice) choice as i warrant the engines....

We have had dramas in the past with particular brands (not necessarily Ross) slipping or separating under extreme conditions ie drifting where an engine see's alot more abuse than drag racing...

Much like everything the choice of a product is based mainly on personal experience followed of course by availability. At the end of the day 99% of people can get away with using pretty much any brand on their engine in any component. Pumps and pistons are a good example, i use alot of N1 pumps in generic builds and have NEVER had a failure, i have used Cheap pistons in a s15 slapper motor (built for a mate to sell his car... but ended up keeping it) that now see's regular track days (bi-monthy for 2years) and its running 20-odd psi on what i reckon are not much better than cast lumps of junk.....

If you start to put your name to something you need to be able to 100% gaurantee to the best of your abilty that the product you are using will be up for the job, some builds it requires overkill, sometimes it requires arrogance or brand snobbery but it only takes one wrong engine part decision or recommendation to wreck ones reputation....

Edited by URAS

I should have noted my reply is not aimed @ duncan either but more a explanation to everyone for my shit "ditto" comment page or so ago :) i promise to think a little next time .... lol

Edited by URAS

I work for someone who sells both balancers....

I have seen both balancers countless times and I would have to say ATI is the better finished / made balancer, it looks and feels like a much better quality balancer!

Ati have the ability to tune one of there balancers to suit your needs

There are different grades of elasotmer material ATI will use on the balancer depending on the application or engine speeds. you can call them and figure out which one suits your needs.

Plus.... I haven't seen any Ati balancers come apart yet! :P

This is one place where the saying is true.... you pay for what you get! Theres a big reason every NASCAR team uses a Ati balancer for there engines and its got nothing to do with sponsorship deals or pricing. They all pay for the Ati dampers in the engines and use them because they last and handle high RPM and HP

Cheers BOOSTA

Edited by BOOSTA