SAU Community

How Does The R31 Drift

hey guys im thinking of building an r31 slider but a few on hear say there shit to drift. is this true? is it worth me doing one or not.

does anyone slide one off these and can anyone compare with another car they have sliden.

if they are good whats the best few uprades to get em to hold slides. cheers

:dry:

hey guys im thinking of building an r31 slider but a few on hear say there shit to drift. is this true? is it worth me doing one or not.

does anyone slide one off these and can anyone compare with another car they have sliden.

if they are good whats the best few uprades to get em to hold slides. cheers

:sick:

mate they slide just fine Iv drifted em all dr30 to r34,and I reckon they are very underated,they do need a bit of work on the suspension but thats with any car,Iv just picked up a gtsx last week set up to drift and it slides mad,and best bet for handling go coilovers or if its an oz model springs+shock combo or do a s13 front end coversion,28m sway bars,nolthane bushes and a lsd that should get you started,theres nothing wrong with a 31 as a drift car,heaps of parts availble cheap,and any one who says there shit to drift cant drive for shit coz i reckon you get the best feel for the road out of 31,newer models have alot lighter steering,also my daily is a r31 shilo drift pig iv been driving it for 10 years!!

yea man thats it do a bit o work to suspension then the ol lines drift good for wat the are, im happy with my dr30, something differnt 2.. they are heavy but if ne thing learning to drift in one of em will only hone your skills, my mates 31, weldi chop springs, rb30 + T does damn well...

A couple of years back, I think in the first year of Drift Nationals, a gold HR31 was in the field sponsored by R31 House and I thought it went very well, it's only failing that I could see was the dill behind the wheel.

Compared to the talents of others on the day, it could have performed much better with a better steerer.

Just my humble opinion, from a spectator, not a drifter competitor.

Cheers, D

That gold Coupe was THE R31House Drifter, Shibata san PAID to ship it over here, and was treated quite poorly by the guys who organised to bring them over.

Picture027.jpg

31's slide damn good for the long, weighy bucket that they are, I know a bloke who started out with a stocker, a locker and a good seat, kicked the asses of a few higher powered, lighter weight cars.

Plenty of youtube action, Joel MacKerres, Chris Easton, Ev Daws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_0uAoX1amk

& we all love Fatz... *edit* (3min 25)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr7reJKNUOY

Edited by B. J.

thanks heaps for the feed back guys i have owned one of these back in the day but didnt do much or any sliding with it. i drive an r33 now and slides well but for some reson thought it might be a good idea to build a drift pig track only car i can distroy tyres with.

on the subject at hand where is the best place to start looking for one ,i want the cheapest r31 s2 around. any tips on where to start looking.

also any specs on cams aproval what do i need to do to get it right for the track. cheers :D

thanks heaps for the feed back guys i have owned one of these back in the day but didnt do much or any sliding with it. i drive an r33 now and slides well but for some reson thought it might be a good idea to build a drift pig track only car i can distroy tyres with.

on the subject at hand where is the best place to start looking for one ,i want the cheapest r31 s2 around. any tips on where to start looking.

also any specs on cams aproval what do i need to do to get it right for the track. cheers :D

there is a guy up here that has a R31 that has a turboed RB30 in it i think he is looking for about 2000-2500 for it

89 R31 bid is at $900

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/nissan-skyline-gxe-...%3A1%7C294%3A50

we also got this one off ebay for $600 to build as a street car and a drift pig

hannahandblakespictures004.jpg

19052009245.jpg

Wouldn't an KHR31 be a better drifter as it has IRS as opposed to a live rear axle in the Oz produced & delivered car?

And it already has the RB DOHC engine & LSD.

Cheers, D

The IRS in the HR31 isnt much to write home about, very squatty and hard to get right for sliding, Easto was / is running an R33 rear cradle, but that takes a shitload of money and mods to do correctly, Decs has put one into an aus-spec & says he'll never do it again coming from a mechanical side of things.

Aus rear axle is reliable chuck in a spool, lock it up or even a KAAZ and away you go.

Finding a coupe (wouldnt suggest sliding a 4 door hardtop) for a fairly cheap price will be the hard part. Yes they came with a 20 but the redtops have seen better years, so you'll be headed towards a silvertop, 25 or something bigger anyway. If you're looking for a coupe to slide, it might be worthwile running around and trying to find one pre-modded in japan and leave it as track only, it'd be the cheapest way to get one.

at least with the Aus RB30 you can slap on an ebay spec turbo, intercooler kit and a good tune can get you 180-200rwkw which is plenty to get an R31 sideways.

*edit* - few pics

DSC_0121.JPG

DSC_0181.JPG

DSC_0503.JPG

DSC_0504.JPG

DSC_1890.JPG

DSC_1891.JPG

DSC1301.JPG

^ note the rear camber on the one in the background - R33 Rear cradle in AUS Spec R31

Edited by B. J.

R30s weigh pretty much same as a s13, 1100kg ish. DR30s weigh bit more like 1300kg top end models. but if 4 track rip the electrics, seats, trim and sound deadening out and back down 2 1100kgs or less (as ive done)...

have drifted both as well and (r31 rb30et, dr rb20det) found the dr easier to control. 4 me anyway..

Edited by OUTATIME

My stock hr30 L20et is only 1120kg!....

dude probally is, coupe is completly diferent to a sedan, has more weight in the body and things like a r200 diff and driveline arnt exactly light..

stock engine, soft coilovers, swaybars and castor rods, hd clutch and locker.

nice drifting with that setup dude. have u used an lsd for drifting how do u find the locker drifting. do u spin out much or not. and how come the soft coilovers i would have thought the harder the beter.