SAU Community

If you are talking about carbon fibre, no. A carbon/metal compound...yes...anything is possible. But unless you are trying to build the worlds lightest race car, or strengthen the tailshaft with some ultra expensive compound, I don't see why someone would bother. Tail shafts aren't seen and they are probably the strongest link in the drivetrain.

Edited by Birds

If you are talking about carbon fibre, no. A carbon/metal compound...yes...anything is possible. But unless you are trying to build the worlds lightest race car, or strengthen the tailshaft with some ultra expensive compound, I don't see why someone would bother. Tail shafts aren't seen and they are probably the strongest link in the drivetrain.

that's not right. yes there are carbon fibre tail shafts. you can make lots of stuff out of carbon. but for a full 100% carbon composite shaft it would be pretty expensive.

So we're talking a tailshaft made completely from carbon fibre, not just the ends? That's news to me...still overkill if you ask me. Better weight savings to be made in nuts and bolts.