SAU Community

Autometer Oil Pressure Gauge Wiring Shortcut?

Hydroxinol

This is most definitely a silly question but I am after a straight answer to rid my curiosity.

I have an Autometer Oil Pressure Gauge (electric). Attached is the wiring diagram for it. Basically I would like to know if I am able to bridge the 12V lamp wire to the 12V gauge terminal (going to ignition switch), and the ground lamp wire to the ground gauge terminal. The benefits of this would be a reduction in the amount of wires going out from the gauge. The only downside I can think of would be the drag the bulb has on the gauge power source, whether or not this will interfere with the accuracy of the gauge I do not know. What do you think? I am not an electrician so dont judge me :D

post-37832-1243429060_thumb.jpg

you can connect the grounds together then run 1 wire to ground but if you connect the light and positive together the light will run permanently not just when you turn the headlights on. if that is not a worry there is no reason you cant wire them together..

you can connect the grounds together then run 1 wire to ground but if you connect the light and positive together the light will run permanently not just when you turn the headlights on. if that is not a worry there is no reason you cant wire them together..

Thanks for the reply Pudz. Yea I have no problem with the gauge being lit up permanently, was more concerned about whether or not it had an effect on the gauge reading. I guess I will give it a shot and will see what happens.

wont affect the guage reading. that is taken from the signal wire. all earth wires connect together anyway. and if you dont worry about it being on all the time then wire them together.

I actually had second thoughts when installing the Oil Pressure Gauge. I prepared another wire for the globe and was going to connect it to a 12v light switched wire. I thought I could simply tap into the dash light wire but found it was only getting 5V with the light switch on.

In the end I got over it and wired the globe straight the 12v ignition wire. Gauge works fine, globe works fine. But lets see how long it lasts before it burns out :)