SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

XR6 Turbo engine and box/loom are pretty cheap. Chuck it on gas and should still be a decent enough thing economy wise...sound better too. This animal even has blinds. Is it wrong to want your first car again 18 years later?

Finally towed with my 4.8 patrol.

Must say it was super impressive. The car is big enough that the trailer had absolutely no effect on the car whatsoever, apart from the obvious lack of pace up hills.

Didn't make the car sway or in any way shape or form feel uncomfortable, brakes were good. Towed easily up to 120lm/h with little throttle.

photo1349937694.jpg

Edited by Granthem

XR6 Turbo engine and box/loom are pretty cheap. Chuck it on gas and should still be a decent enough thing economy wise...sound better too. This animal even has blinds. Is it wrong to want your first car again 18 years later?

I know mate, and I too have a soft spot for old Vals. But, that's cheap enough to buy just to enjoy it as is as a "creeper". To turn it into even a half capable tow car will be a 30k+ experience. Not just an engine/box, but everything. From brakes, to diff, to body repairs and strengthening. 60's Valiants weren't ever designed with the stresses of towing 2,000kg with a grunty modern engine pegging it down the road.

So, I maintain, stop it. (With all due respect) :)

No don't. Just don't.

I just towed with my XR6T... Too much strain on the gearbox. Don't do it.

I know mate, and I too have a soft spot for old Vals. But, that's cheap enough to buy just to enjoy it as is as a "creeper". To turn it into even a half capable tow car will be a 30k+ experience. Not just an engine/box, but everything. From brakes, to diff, to body repairs and strengthening. 60's Valiants weren't ever designed with the stresses of towing 2,000kg with a grunty modern engine pegging it down the road.

So, I maintain, stop it. (With all due respect) :)

Man, my old val had a rebuilt 245, box and diff with nothing special in the brakes department it towed 32' boats, Chev Impalas, RX3s :) I bought it off my mechanic that didnt want to tow with his Calais so this was the workhorse with mechanicals that he rebuilt. That's why it was a good buy. It certainly didnt tow like a landcruiser but it did the job :) Will have to wait and see how tidy this thing is this weekend

Back in the days of the Sahara Forrest towing a 32' boat with a Valiant may have been more acceptable. But so were flares and wicked side burns.

Upon refelction.... yeah, do it! Flares and side burns are cool, 'specially ginger side burns....

You guys bring back memories. Back in the day we used to tow our ski boat to Eppalock with a VE slant six station wagon. Prob one of the best, most honest cars I've owned/ driven. Had to put it down after smoke started pouring through the steering wheel, still got us home though towing the boat till the end.

Go the tow Val, towing is not rocket science, you just have to be aware of what is going on and adjust accordingly. Any dumbo can tow with a Landcruiser, brute force may be foolproof but it is not essential.

^^^^ I know. I once towed a 23' Sharkcat on a tri-axle trailer (no brakes whatesoever) witha AE86 twin cam Corolla Seca.

That proves that anything CAN be done, if you're careful enough (yes, I'm still breathing!), but, in today's litegeous society, you might not get away with the same level of bravado.

Truthfully, why some of you even bother wasting precious typing with "can I" type question is a total loss to me...... do what you want. Darwin will sort it ;)

'Can I' questions are seekers of approval, if someone says 'yes' then you feel a whole lot better when thinking of doing something dodgy :yes: BTW, can I....... :devil:

Edited by 260DET

Some of the 4WD hire mobs have tow bars fitted to the cars. Try someone that hires mine spec vehicles - they usually have tow bars fittes.

I think you normally pay around $120-150 a day for a mine spec vehicle (usually a Prado / Hilux or Landcruiser). Pricey, but still cheaper than having to buy one, and you travel in relatively modern comfort.

Quick google search turned up this mob.

Places like Mackay or Newcastle will have an abundance of mine spec hire places, but Brisbane might be a bit light on.

Done about 30k in the q7 now(half towing) still can confirm the armchair on wheels is awesome

Fatz, what sort of pin setup are you running on your trailer?

Think I need my reprogrammmed, it keeps telling me my tail lights on the trailer are blown, despite brake lights and indicators working...