SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Might be worth investigating what another one is worth, if they are cheap then add in the power and see how it goes. If they are a fortune a cooler might be a good option, also have a chat with some of the 4wd shops for what they are doing with them.

Blokes on a Challenger forum have driven their bone stock autos loaded up and towing caravans around Australia with no problems so I reckon mine should be OK on tarmac roads towing 2000kg all up max. But an auto trans temp gauge might be good, will check that out. Don't want to add stuff that is apparently not necessary, spare $ go to racecar :)

So cbf reading bucket load of pages!

X trails....say 09 on wards diesel.

I've noticed that the autos are 1350kg towing and manuals are 2000kg towing. What's reason behind that? And I guess towing the mx5 and trailer, would it be that hard on the manual?

Seen a few around 20k to 22k which don't seem too bad.

I've noticed that the autos are 1350kg towing and manuals are 2000kg towing. What's reason behind that? And I guess towing the mx5 and trailer, would it be that hard on the manual?

Reduced towing for the auto usually is because the auto is the transmission weak link. Torque is what matters with a diesel, I'd say 300nm minimum for your application.

Xtrails won't be happy towing - they'r all kinds of shyte.

If it's a very light car on a very light trailer (say total 1300-1400kg) you might get away with it. If you're considerint towing up to 2 tonne then forget it. Xtrails only just make the cut as a family car. They're not designed to tow.

Chris,

This might help you, is the petrol versions I think so deisel would be better

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4842

$30 k is cheap for a base model which (I think) is being run out. It's a nice car and would do the job if you're towing something light like an mx5 and light weight trailer.

For example, my Jeep Grand is rated to tow 3.5 tonne, but I personally can't imagine towing that kind of load. I tow a 33 gtst with a 750kg trailer and various bits and pieces. I reckon around 2.5 ish tonne is my personal limit, giving a bit of overhead or buffer.

Pretty sure it was suggested there may be some other options some pages back?

Again - the Cherokee still very cheap! Wonder if you can get stock?

• 2 weeks later...

Sold the spare car so all cashed up for a new trailer in 2013, maybe towing Feb, Mar? But you know I'm going to say it's good, would not have bought it if there was any doubt. Faith dude, faith :)

personally i wouldnt touch a jeep, the missus wants a wrangler and i am spewing, terrible fuel economy, parts are expensive and depreciation is one of the worst on the market.

it depends though, if you only drive her once or twice a month and you dont care about fuel consumption get a 100s v8 land cruiser

$20k should get you a nice one

my cousin has been towing his 1800kg boat in his ls1 wh statesman for years and it purrs along the freeway

$5-10,000

07 v6 hilux dual cab sr

15-20.000

id take a hilux anyday of the week over a navara, triton, colorado or mazda for that matter

even a v6 territory you can have for around the 10-13k mark for a decent one

but def no jeep