SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Depends what you're used to I guess. 298kw/560Nm (at pretty big revs for both 5,800 and 4,000 rpm respectively) is hardly setting the worth alight for something weighing 2,700kg... Noel-baby. :D

Can still only tow 3,500kg.

Target market is the UAE I think? 140 litre fuel tank, yet, no bullbar available ex Nissan?

Uts all relative woosta. I am currently pushing 235 kw's and whilst it doesnt run a 7 second 1/4 mile its mighty impressive when you just need grunt.

Me thinks the 5.6 litre would only add more awesome.

Wonder why they never imported the Armada. It's a slightly bigger version of the Pahfinder (between Pathy and Patrol) with 5.6L V8. I saw a few in USA and Canada last month and quite liked them. Mind you, I was very taken by the Dodge Ram 3500 in the downstairs carpark of the ski lodge. That 6.7L Cummins turbodiesel would make light work of any hills. those things are only $60k in USA. Still thinking about how I can import one.

7 tonne towing capacity mmmmmmmm

Edited by warps

Left drive only I think. Just like Nissan Titan ute/truck, which is also cool.

I've a very good friend who imports Rams. Absolute powerhouses, but in the good towing sizes of 2500 and 3500, they're just that bit too big and trucky. The 1500 sizes aren't better towing rigs than lots of vehicles we have access to hear without doing cost prohibitive steering conversions.. That goes for the competing Fords and Chevs as well.

A Ford/Chev/Dodge deisel 2500 @ 40 to 60k would be a good thing. But at 90 to 120k plus, yeah no thanks.

New Patrol isn't going to sell much over here if Landcruiser sales are any indicator. Somethign like 94% of LC200s sold last year were diesels. That's people voting with their money. There's about 7.2 people who want a petrol V8 4WD. And the Patrol's RHD conversion is a bit tacky - you need the front passenger to put it in Drive for you for starters.

Edited by hrd-hr30

, but in the good towing sizes of 2500 and 3500, they're just that bit too big and trucky.

Totally. If you're getting a Ram (or F series or Chev equivalent) it would only be the 3500 or equivalent size (hell, the Disneyland shuttle buses were all based on F650's, and are almost as big as a city council bus!!). The 3500 is impracitcal over here, but in good ol' boy redneck USA, I totally get them, and always find myself drawn to the big trucks / SUV's while I'm over there. Maybe there's a redneck in me trying to get out.

I agree with the above on the new Patrol. Stupid move for the Oz market. Harry - is that true about needing the passenger to put it in drive (or even just a little exaggeration)?

Totally. If you're getting a Ram (or F series or Chev equivalent) it would only be the 3500 or equivalent size (hell, the Disneyland shuttle buses were all based on F650's, and are almost as big as a city council bus!!). The 3500 is impracitcal over here, but in good ol' boy redneck USA, I totally get them, and always find myself drawn to the big trucks / SUV's while I'm over there. Maybe there's a redneck in me trying to get out.

Of course with everyone driving Expeditions, Escalades, trucks etc. it is very easy to feel small in something the size of a Mazda 3 on the freeway. Also car parks etc. over there are designed to be accomodating of the bigger cars where as over here they are not. I totally get the appeal as well!

On the topic of trucks I wonder how far off Chef is from being able to import Toyota Tundras from Japan?

Pretty sure that Corvette queensland/performax here in gympie have a handful of tundras parked in their yard (and have had for quiet a while). I see.then everyday on my way to work.

Edit: quick look on their website shows they have 3

Tundra's are all petrol powered and left hand drive aren't they?

I've seen a couple, look alright, but they're still just like a "1500" Dodge/ford etc and not really a hell wicked tow vehicle in that size. They're just big. And the right hand drive conversion just makes all of them outrageously expensive (for what they are).

In the US they make some sense, but here.... less so.

2500 and up is a different story.

I agree with the above on the new Patrol. Stupid move for the Oz market. Harry - is that true about needing the passenger to put it in drive (or even just a little exaggeration)?

A little exaggeration, but it is a reach. They left the shifter in the LHD position. Nissan Aus had to pay for the development to RHD when they insisted on selling them here because Nissan global had no intention of selling it in Aus, and it looks like a bit of a shortcut to keep costs down.

ge5741429040704525313.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=1050

Edited by hrd-hr30

Heck of a stretch, and would no doubt annoy the piss out of you day to day. The iDrive type controller remains on the wrong side too.... as does the volume knob for the stezza, that's it on the far left.

I spotted that coz my new 550 Nav is like that too, but I guess its lucky there's a volume adjustment on the wheel too.

I can't help but think the money Nissan Aus wasted on the Y62 RHD project would have been much better spent updating the diesel engine in the current Y61 GU. There's a much bigger market for them than in large petrol V8 luxobarge SUV's. Escallating prices of the old ,no longer in production 4.2 diesel just prove there'a market for a Patrol with a better engine than the grenade. And the old 4.2 is nothing to write home about - all it's got going for it is that it doesn't grenade. Give it something comparable in power and torque to the Landcruiser 70 (150kw 430nm) and watch sales pick up! Even a detuned version of the V6 in the Navara (170kw 550nm) could easily do that. GU already has everything else going for it over Toyota's 70. Even if they had to make it a bit more palatable for the soccer mum crowd with IFS, it would still be better than this Y62 thing.

Edited by hrd-hr30

Go sit in one, It is not a stretch at all unless you're a pygmy. This is not a 6 speed manual requiring multiple gear changes every time you drive it. Its an auto ffs. once in reverse to get you out of the driveway and then in to D. Voila! job done without the requirement of physio or accupuncture for torn or stretched ligaments.

This thread is about tow cars. Towing requires 2 things, Stability under load and power. the new patrol is still built on a ladder chassis with suspension refinement that can only enhance its driveability. Power is class leading, stump pulling thunder that will rip the A frame off most of the old shitbox trailers you see at any racetrack every day.

Fuel economy far exceeds that of my current tow truck the GU 4.8 litre patrol. Power is up by over 100 kw's and given the performance of the twin cam 4.8 that is mighty damn impressive.

My only negative to the new patrol is the looks, the rear end treatment looks like a bucket of busted crabs but in terms of sheer capability performing the task this thread is all about I believe the V8 patty will have few equals.