SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

As the resident lover of Pootrols that don't rattle, smoke or blow up, I have to wonder how one of these block of flats would go with some LPG injection. By moving the spare tyre and replacing the main tank you could carry 200l+ in the basement of these things and based on my 4.5 I reckon 16-17l/100 (I get 18-20) would be realistic. That makes it cheaper to run than a ZD30, and close to a Navara.. At it's best..

Worth investigating for sure, though, taking into account the setup costs does it all really make sense financially?

On another note, I'm running the Navara down into NSW this weekend to collect a HQ. Should be a good run to put some kays on it and see how it tows!

On another note, I'm running the Navara down into NSW this weekend to collect a HQ.

HQ racer? Cool!

There's one next door at the WRS workshop. I'm always amazed how fast those things can be with the 202, 3 speed and single stromberg.

You should find the Navara tows well, although might be soft in the rear end (if it's anything like Pathfinders). I believe there are Bilstein upgrades for them fairly cheap in USA.

Nah, Chev powered HQ we were to inspect for and collect for a mate in Emerald. Lucky, it was a wart, and not as described. Long way to drive (Lismore) to find that out, but hey, he shouted us a night in Byron for our efforts :)

3 people, and my car trailer, setting out with under 100klm on the Nav it returned 10.4L/100 average for the trip, including some dawdling around town and up to the Lighthouse n stuff. I'm stoked with that and was very comfy and effortless. Great cruise control with the 1klm/h graduation adjustment too.

Nav doesn't seem soft in the bum. They are leaves and live axle. Pathfinder is IRS yes?

Bloody happy with my purchase.

And I even saw NavDan and his lovely on the highway for a wave! Hard to miss them, driving a WRC green Focus RS. Cracking choice of car mate, congrats!

And I even saw NavDan and his lovely on the highway for a wave! Hard to miss them, driving a WRC green Focus RS. Cracking choice of car mate, congrats!

HA!

Was on the lookout for you as well and being in a white Navara, I'm not at all surprised you saw us first :action-smiley-069: and then I was confused when I saw no HQ on the trailer. How about that rain!!

Picked up our new baby in Brissy yesterday morning and drove it home, an Ultimate Green Focus RS. Fast for a road car but nothing like the evo. Sitting on the speed limit with the occasional blat (just to hear that glorious 5cyl) we averaged 8l/100kms.

It's been a few pages now and no mention of a falcon, have they gone out of fashion?

reality stepped in momentarily...

Not an FG XR6T...

I think what we'll all find, is that Ford put the speed restriction on the Falcon as weight goes up, not because it's dangerous, more so to stop the gearbox ass ploding.

At 110KM/H, it likes to try and sit in 4th gear, on boost when climbing a hill. when things start to get a bit steep and you keep the foot in to keep it climbing... You can just tell the gearbox doesn't like it, but back it down to 80km/h, it'll slip back to 3rd gear, and it's happy as larry.

I had an R33 GTSt on the back of my FG last weekend, it towed it fine, bar the weight going up hill, and chewing over half a tank of premium to get from Dulwich Hill to Wollongong. (Far too much fuel IMO!) It would probably cost me $90 in premium to go to Wakefield, and then another $90 to come home again.

I actually had to stand on the anchors and she did pull up. (ABS got a work out, but she pulled up in a hurry, I was quite impressed actually at how well it pulled up)

I see its back out the window again now though with the good old "don't even know it's there" chestnut...

XR8's have the same driveline restricted tow ratings. 1200kg manual, 1600kg auto. 2300kg auto with tow pack and load levellers at a max of 80kph. They don't belong in a "good tow car" thread for towing race cars, unless you're happy to tootle around at 80 on the highway getting in everyone else's way, while sucking down the juice like its going out of fashion.

I used my old mans BA XR8 to tow my car to Winton from Melbourne a couple of weeks ago. It pulled the car no worries and sat on 110 all the way up the hume. I don't know if the gear box like the hills but it's still going.

It didn't like pulling up too quickly but still did the job when I needed it to.

I'm a bit slow because I have missed the point:-( my trailer and car weigh about 1650kg and my ute is a 6sp manual and I cruise at 110 effortlessly. If it breaks something ill fix it , but I don't use sixth at all, if I come to a hill put it back a gear and use the power, thats what its for. As for fuel, yeah it uses it but I guess I'm lucky my kids are grown up, just me and wifey so it doesn't bother me, it's like eating an evil nesscesity.

I chose this ute because I like to travel in comfort, in comfortable seats and ride. I've driven plenty of late model navaras, hiluxs, rangers etc and they are rough riding uncomfortable trucks. Just my opinion :-)

I ended up buying an FJ cruiser as a tow car, and apart from being petrol only and hence a bit thirsty it has towed my 33 skyline and trailer quite nicely...

I would rate it as a tow car, the only thing i will say is that if you anyone does buy one you are better off getting the towbar from anywhere else other than toyota...

Its just easier to get a drop down hitch and bits and pieces...

other than that, thats my 2 cents worth...