SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

I feel weird saying I have a bit of badge snobbery by leaning toward the Hyundai :P

Toyota FJ is basically a Prado underneath I understand, so should serve you well.

They're but in the USA? Does that explain why no oil burner donk?

hello friends,

am looking at buying a diesel tow car/4wd with a budget of 10 -> 15k. it would be towing my S14 on a car trailer.

i was leaning towards a 80's series landcruisers post 96 were the tow rating was changed - what are opinions on these?

can anyone please suggest some other options that would suit my price range?

cheers

hello friends,

am looking at buying a diesel tow car/4wd with a budget of 10 -> 15k. it would be towing my S14 on a car trailer.

i was leaning towards a 80's series landcruisers post 96 were the tow rating was changed - what are opinions on these?

can anyone please suggest some other options that would suit my price range?

cheers

Are you needing anything else from the vehicle other than towing ability?

Seating capacity, daily driver, economy requirements........ ?

Are you needing anything else from the vehicle other than towing ability?

Seating capacity, daily driver, economy requirements........ ?

not so much, mainly just towing and off road ability for some fun

half decent fuel economy would be nice but i have a daily also so not essential.

cheers

Well as soon as you say "off road ability" which I reas as "serious off-road ability" I instantly think live front axles.

So, 'Cruisers and Patrols are on the menu, wagons or utes depending on what suits. Avoid British shit but we all know that.

Don't get carried away with lifts etc, coz the higher you go and the bigger the tyres, the worse they tow.

Diesel Cruiser or Patrol, aftermarket turbo kit if it doesn't already have boost. Budget i9s the hard part.

Personally, I'd be having a crack at busting this bloke's chops, or trying to find a GU Patrol ute with 4.2 turbo.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/toyota-landcruiser-1994-14020428?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=10&eapi=2&__N=1216%201246%201252%201247%201282%204294962861%204294962570%204294680273&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Price%3a10000%2c20000%7e0.5&sort=default

yeah 'serious off road'

wow at that link. 20k seems pretty crazy. newer versions are much cheaper here in perth >.<

not sure it would be up for the towing capacity either

pretty much what i thought - will target the cruisers and pooohtrols

cheers mang

yeah 'serious off road'

wow at that link. 20k seems pretty crazy. newer versions are much cheaper here in perth >.<

not sure it would be up for the towing capacity either

pretty much what i thought - will target the cruisers and pooohtrols

cheers mang

New ones attract less money because they have the shitbox ZD30 in them and will blow up. If you read back I rave about my 4.5l dual fuel Pootrol quite a bit, but think it is justified, I get 18/100 driving daily, heaps cheaper to buy and run day to day than a diesel, and debatable how much more it costs towing.. The 4.8l is a heaps better motor again

8.4L/100 is good for a truck, how does it drive.

Now have a trailer for the Challenger, PI over easter is the plan. It's going well, only thing is the suspension needs tuning for Aussie roads. Thinking about getting a set of Bilsteins to improve it.