SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Nice essay in the interests column :)

Ideally I'd like to rent someone's 4wd and trailer when I need it 4-6 times a year. I'm in brisbane and am happy to pay.

Seems silly to buy another car and trailer when I only need it that much.

Throwing trade plates on and driving to the track is getting too risky

So whats the best bang for buck tow car. Old patrol or landcruiser?

JEEP cheap to buy wg/wj tows 3500kg in diesel spec and can be had pretty cheap mercedes driveline and autobox

Impossible to sell on but cheap and reasonably reliable even the petrol v8 is rated to tow like 2950kg and they can be had dirt cheap not so reliable or cheap to run but still reasonable for a big 4WD

Nice essay in the interests column :)

Ideally I'd like to rent someone's 4wd and trailer when I need it 4-6 times a year. I'm in brisbane and am happy to pay.

Seems silly to buy another car and trailer when I only need it that much.

Throwing trade plates on and driving to the track is getting too risky

Yeh, I had that dream too :)

I have been thinking of getting a VX II SS holden.

Cheap ($9 - 12k), ride well, got all the creature comforts (leather, sunroof, power everything, cruise), sounds good, and being a V8 they tow really well. Just wont have the economy of a small turbo diesel (3ltr 4cyl), but will have ALOT more torque.

Edited by Tonba

I have been thinking of getting a VX II SS holden.

Cheap ($9 - 12k), ride well, got all the creature comforts (leather, sunroof, power everything, cruise), sounds good, and being a V8 they tow really well. Just wont have the economy of a small turbo diesel (3ltr 4cyl), but will have ALOT more torque.

Towing really well has very little to do with the engine. It is more about what the chassis/platform is capable of. Much like the example of a Commodore on the last page, a VX SS is rated to:

Commodore VX / VY, SS / SV8, V6 / V8 Auto (excl Ute & VY Factory LPG Wagon)

Vehicle Manufacturers Maximum Legal Towing Mass 2100kg #

#1 Load level hitch req'd over 750kg

#8 Max 80km/h over 1600kg

#9 Owner's handbook MUST be referred to for additional vehicle fittings req'd for towing

Commodore VX / VY, SS / SV8 V8 Man (excl Ute)

Vehicle Manufacturers Maximum Legal Towing Mass 1600kg #

#1 Load level hitch req'd over 750kg

#9 Owner's handbook MUST be referred to for additional vehicle fittings req'd for towing

The auto is the only one that can legally tow a useful amount to start with. And a good tow car wouldn't limit you to 80km/h or require a load levelling hitch for anything over 750kg. They are marginal tow cars, at best.

Edited by hrd-hr30

Just putting some more thought into it. As a reasonably priced car that can tow, that you can also drive everyday in comfort and have a 'squirt', not to mention make long trips in... I still think a holden or something would make a good tow car.
Sure, if your towing EVERYDAY I wouldn't get one, but for up to 12 trackdays a year, for sure. That's only like 3-5% of your driving per year. Im not sure If I want a noisy 4x4 for the other 95% of my driving...
Just some more food for thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has come up before but pretty good read and might be useful for a few people.

http://www.candm.com.au/review/tow-vehicle/which-will-be-crowned-best-tow-vehicle

Not a bad read.

Bit strange about the older Fairmont though. Comments like "‘bottoming out’ on undulating surfaces", "It was not as happy towing as the other cars", and "The van wasn’t pushing the car, but it was rocking back and forth", and rated one of the worst for towing stability, don't really align with it being ranked 4th overall for Best Tow vehicle! Can't understand that...

Edited by hrd-hr30

I did read the whole thing. That's what confued me!

Here's just a few more blatantly confusing examples:

-In the body of the article Pajero is No1 Tow Car and then in the list below, Landcruiser becomes No1 tow car.

-They raved about the Pajero in the body of the article "is more of a driver’s car and was so punchy. The Pajero was fun to drive and it was a lot more responsive. We were so impressed with this vehicle, the way it handled, its towing capabilities, and the comfort. The whole package was such a delight to drive..." but then it only rates 3rd in the list (well, actually 4th) for "Drive cars with occassional towing".

- Fairmont is behind 2 4WDs as a "Shopping Car". With no explanation whatsoever. I can't imagine how a Prado or Pajero are better for runing to the shops than a Falcon.