SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Bought a 4.5 98 dual fuel Pootrol, bought it because I have had a 4.2 before, $13k with 240k on it, fresh motor, bull bar, electric brakes, lift kit etc neat inside and out. Would love to have a better range, but the same thing with the decent diesel is $25k+, Cruiser is worse again..

Apart from that I cannot fault it, it is the second best money I have spent behind my house.

I know it uses a metric F load of gas, but even in Bathurst I can get 500k for $85 going to and from work, which is about 7-8k, $120 ish to Goulburn and back dragging an extra 1.8-2t both ways in 2 hours

I could not recommend anything else for the money

Vesh, neither of those vehicles is sufficient to tow a GTR in my opinion. Short hops I'd maybe risk it from a safety and legality aspect, but certainly not any distance.

Falcon is way over capacity, Kia is on the limit and I doubt it would cope well.

vesh, G6E turbo is great check my posts a few pages back for fuel econ and feedback - although check with Harry first :)

nah, check with Ford first. They say to limit speed to:

100km/h for 1200kg towing,

90km/h for 1600kg and

80km/h for anything over 1600kg and up to its limit of 2300kg.

independant review on carsales has this to say about BF III towing and economy

When towing a trailer weighing 1600kg, the Falcon averaged 16.1l/100km when cruising on the freeway at 80 to 90kmh

varies a bit from the enthusiastic owners on here.

I sold my Jeep.

I now have a temporary Falcon sedan.

I towed my car trailer with random shit on it last week, with much less than my car weight on it.

The Falcon was shit in comparison. Power isn't the issue, it's just a case of not enough tow vehicle mass, the Falcon gets pushed around by the towed load.

I now miss my Jeep.

Edited by Marlin

I towed my GTR back from Melbourne on the weekend, set cruise control at 120kph and it didn't deviate 1 little bees dick off 120kph the whole way.

There was not one hill I didn't climb at 120kph and she never saw higher than 2500rpm or lower than 5th gear.

880kms with 1 food/fuel stop in under 9hrs, can't ask for any more than that. Bloody diesel power all the way!!!!

And for all those fuel conversationalists out there I averaged just under 16l per 100kms, not bad for a V10 guzzler. rofl.gif

The new Jeeps look fantastic Ben, time to buy a new one I reckon....

I am looking at getting a new car and will need to be able to tow my R33 GTR, has anyone had any experience with the new Kia Sorento. I would be looking at getting the Platinum in diesel. 2000KG towing capacity

There is also a G6E turbo coming up soon at work (ex company car) which has a heavy duty tow bar. 2300KG towing capacity

Would any of these cars be good for towing??

Cheers in advance

Ive got a bf mk2 6T and the towing capacity is 1600kg. I'm pretty sure the manual says the 2300kg kit is only for the 4 speed auto. The 6 is limited to 1600 unless it changed going to FG

That said I havent found it bad to tow with, certainly not as bad as some here make out. You have to make sure the car being towed is loaded up correctly or it can get a bit dicey but thats not rocket science. No problems doing 110 on the highways down to wakefield with a car on the back as long as its far enough forward.

Edited by gregor

I towed my GTR back from Melbourne on the weekend, set cruise control at 120kph and it didn't deviate 1 little bees dick off 120kph the whole way.

There was not one hill I didn't climb at 120kph and she never saw higher than 2500rpm or lower than 5th gear.

880kms with 1 food/fuel stop in under 9hrs, can't ask for any more than that. Bloody diesel power all the way!!!!

And for all those fuel conversationalists out there I averaged just under 16l per 100kms, not bad for a V10 guzzler. rofl.gif

The new Jeeps look fantastic Ben, time to buy a new one I reckon....

action-smiley-069.gif

550 NM's of diesel goodness!! Drives nice too!

V10 cameltowrag is 750nm I think. Ample.

The VM diesel in the common V6 diesels all offer around 550nm. Also enough :)

Some pretty amazing fuel figures coming out of diesel Jeep owners too!

Despite all that, I'm really having to resist getting a Supercharged Coyote.

Edited by Marlin

V10 cameltowrag is 750nm I think. Ample.

The VM diesel in the common V6 diesels all offer around 550nm. Also enough :)

Some pretty amazing fuel figures coming out of diesel Jeep owners too!

Despite all that, I'm really having to resist getting a Supercharged Coyote.

V10 = Nice, but lots of $

I'm getting down to 8 litres to the 100 in the GC. Distance to Empty gauge shows 1000km's! It's a nice comfy ride with 4WD ability. Great balance in features vs $. Perfect for my towing and property needs.

The petrol head is getting the better of you in the Coyote. You only live once.

Ben, you looked at the new SRT8 Jeep? They reckon they'll be around $90k on the road. Very tempting I must say. The Supercharged Falcons are tempting too, but I can't bring myself to pay $80k for a taxi with nice exhaust note and some decent poke.

Mind you, the new Pathfinder tows exceptionally well, just won't sprint to 100km/h in under 5 sec.

Oh, for those who think it's silly to pay more for your tow vehicle than your race car? what drugs are you on? I'm lucky to do 2000km a year in the rally car, compared to 30,000km a year in the tow vehicle. I can claim the tow vehicle on tax. I need to drive interstate in the tow vehicle. I cart my faminly everywhere in the tow vehicle. Sure, I'll buy a $5k shitter to tow the rally car.

The new SRT8 is definately on my radar mate, but realistically, I need to weigh up the extra costs of running any sort of non-commercial vehicle versus a 100% claimable vehicle. It's in the several-thousand-dollar-per-year annoyance area. I'm looking forward to taking a closer look at one when they are available. The diesel JGC that JZP runs is also tempting mainly for the amazing economy, but is also a big FBT attractor.

I have the opportunity right now to purchase a 2011 FPV GS ute done 3,000klm, with proper suspension under it, staggered 20" wheels, exhaust/extractors/pulleys/tune and well over 500hp at the treads, for $45k. That's a decent saving, and lot of sow for the money, is also 100% claimable. That is seriously sounds like a V8 Supercar is merely a bonus :P

At least there's options. I got great money for my Jeep so took the opportunity to step out of it ($2,800 P.A. depreciation aint bad!).

I'm driving a "shitter" until I make up my mind. I reckon its liberating not having to give a shit about what I drive daily. Is this the beginning of the end for me? lol

Edited by Marlin

Ive got a bf mk2 6T and the towing capacity is 1600kg. I'm pretty sure the manual says the 2300kg kit is only for the 4 speed auto. The 6 is limited to 1600 unless it changed going to FG

That said I havent found it bad to tow with, certainly not as bad as some here make out. You have to make sure the car being towed is loaded up correctly or it can get a bit dicey but thats not rocket science. No problems doing 110 on the highways down to wakefield with a car on the back as long as its far enough forward.

What cars are you towing though?

RX7s or GTRs?

the new navara diesel 550 seems like a great tow dual cab and can still put stuff in the back. A lot of grey nomads seem to be buying these to tow their 5th wheelers as they are the only dual cab that can tow them well and must be good on fuel if the oldies are using them.

We have them at work now and geez they are good. often tow 2T plus sit on 115 and fuel is only around the 11L/100KM.

the new navara diesel 550 seems like a great tow dual cab and can still put stuff in the back. A lot of grey nomads seem to be buying these to tow their 5th wheelers as they are the only dual cab that can tow them well and must be good on fuel if the oldies are using them.

We have them at work now and geez they are good. often tow 2T plus sit on 115 and fuel is only around the 11L/100KM.

No doubt they are a good thing. I sussed them out at the dealer, but sheesh, even at "mates rates", bloody hard to swallow the price for what is essentially, a bloody basic ute with some tinsel and a half decent engine. No wonder the dealerships report they're not selling them in any numbers, and we're not seeing them on the road.

I'm driving a "shitter" until I make up my mind. I reckon its liberating not having to give a shit about what I drive daily. Is this the beginning of the end for me? lol

Have you lost your soul?? thumbsup.gif

I'm sure you will get bored real soon!

No doubt they are a good thing. I sussed them out at the dealer, but sheesh, even at "mates rates", bloody hard to swallow the price for what is essentially, a bloody basic ute with some tinsel and a half decent engine. No wonder the dealerships report they're not selling them in any numbers, and we're not seeing them on the road.

yeah hard to justify, just think in a year or two resale should be shot so maybe a bargain to be had then.

What cars are you towing though?

RX7s or GTRs?

Towing an RX7. Trailer and car would be pretty damn close to the 1600kg tow rating though. I wasn't suggesting it would be a good idea to tow a full weight GTR with one, just that if you are towing within the rated load they aren't as bad as some here are making out. Not arguing they are the best tow vehicle around just that they arent as bad as some people would have you believe. Having a dedicated tow car or a pricey late model 4WD for a daily doesnt suit everyone's needs or circumstances.