SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

the main reason for my comment was to highlight that he should check the capacity of the 6 speed auto before he jumps into anything. No use having a 2300 kg capacity if it results in a fried ZF gearbox and a hefty rebuild. And I believe the rebuild cost for the 6 speed is not particularly cheap.

ok,

whats diesel, can tow, be a family car and within 5 years old that is under 20k?

I actually like a skoda octivia wagon diesel but can only tow 1300kg. well..Id prefer them to a commodore wagon

I guess the biggest question is what is your all up weight of what you're towing. Remember, be realistic, because if there's an accident, the insurance company will definately be checking.

Personally, I reckon I'd be looking at an "SUV" style of vehicle and if TDi, I'd demand it be automatic tranny..... and my #1 pick for a balance of reliability and quality would be a SanteFe. I know someone who has a few as company vehicles, is on their second batch, and have never once had an issue. 2 tonne capacity too, so it has a bit up its sleeve.

Haggle on something like this or buy a private one;

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/hyundai-santa-fe-2007-12199428?base=1216&vertical=Car&Range=Price:Min,25000~1&eapi=2&sort=default&cr=0&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 1216&silo=Stock&find=diesel hyundai AWD|CarAll

A diesel Grand Vitara would go close, but I can't remember if they were available as an auto. Something like this;

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/suzuki-grand-vitara-2009-12144469?base=1216&vertical=Car&Range=Price:Min,25000~1|Year:2008,Max&eapi=2&sort=default&cr=0&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 1216&silo=Stock&find=diesel vitara |CarAll

X-Trails and Captivas are ghay.... can't tow squat.

And, FWIW, I would avoid euro like the plague. Especially a DSG equiped euro. I love the way they drive and "feel", but they're not a wise 2nd hand "out of warranty" purchase in my opinion.

Hyundai Santa Fe is an interesting suggestion for a tow car, they seem like a good thing. But the 2.2 liter donk would struggle a bit towing 2000kg?

Im not sure I could bring myself to actually purchase a hyundai...

but this is something I would like to hear more on as well...

ok,

whats diesel, can tow, be a family car and within 5 years old that is under 20k?

navara D40 RWD dual cab but would be hard pressed to find for under 20K with lowish Ks

I would like to get another navara D40 4wd.... but I would also like to not spend another 37K on one

Richard, the little TDi in the Hyundai is a trooper. Torquey and smooth. As much as it pains me to say it.... I kind of rate them a little bit. lol

I haven't towed with one, but I'd expect them to tow better than a lighter, sedan based vehicle with similar power/torque, as we've discussed 'til we're blue in the face.

D40 Nirvanas are a good thing no doubt, with the auto diesel easily the pic, but, a good one with reasonable kays is still a late 20's proposition. And to be realistic, they're still not a "family car"........ the rear seat is upright, the dynamics are still very much "leaf sprung ute", and so is the fit and finish. I also have my doubts about how well they "crash" from a safety viewpoint. So no, not a "family" vehicle in my mind.

Edited by Marlin

carsales only have Santa Fe list near 20K with 95,000Ks on them...

Whats people opinion on higher K vehicles, Ive been aiming to get 10-40K car... and your looking atleast 30K for something decent that can tow and is diesel that can fit 4 people...

Not sure I can be happy with an auto either, autos are dangerous IMO

santa fe 2000kg braked

TDi motor is rated at 145kw and 436nm @ 1800rpm

Falcon 2300kg braked at max 80km/h.

straight 6 - 195 and 391nm

Turbo 6 - 270kw and 533nm @ 2000rpm

fixed that for ya. :P

Anything over 1600kg limits your speed according to the manufacturer. The manufacturer specified speed is a towing limit as much as the manufacturer specified weight is.

I'd suggest insurance companies would know Ford's towing limits (both weight and speed) as well...

Who's going to be happy doing 80km/h in a 100 or 110 zone, other than nomads?

Edited by hrd-hr30

fixed that for ya. :P

Anything over 1600kg limits your speed according to the manufacturer. The manufacturer specified speed is a towing limit as much as the manufacturer specified weight is.

I'd suggest insurance companies would know Ford's towing limits (both weight and speed) as well...

Who's going to be happy doing 80km/h in a 100 or 110 zone, other than nomads?

All accidents would happen at less then 80k though,surely.

cheers lads,

we have an i30 diesel and love it! so I guess makes sense to look at the same badge.

Ben, I know my way around insurance, thats not an issue :P industry knowledge hehe

regarding km's on a diesel, they are best at 100k yeah? just been ran in? isnt that the joke? lol