SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

yea not arguing

id happily buy either, shit id even buy a 550 navara to tow with if the actua car wasnt so overpriced and i needed a ute( i will whore to any brand)

260det ever priced genuine toyota 4wd parts before.....

america + air frieght = euro parts cheaper and delivered faster than any australia stealership

frontcut just wait 8 weeks

I am looking at getting a Triton GLX-R diesel, there is one at work which will be sold for pretty cheap soon.

Anyone have any experience with these? It is an auto BTW and 2011 model

If you break down in the middle of nowhere I would fancy my chances a lot better of getting a fix for something popular Aussie or Jap than a VW. Not only getting parts but getting someone to work on one. Can see the Toerag attraction but breaking down towing a trailer with a racecar on it out in the sticks would be bad enough without having to work out how you are going to get it all home again to fix it.

Maybe I'm not adventurous enough :)

I am looking at getting a Triton GLX-R diesel, there is one at work which will be sold for pretty cheap soon.

Anyone have any experience with these? It is an auto BTW and 2011 model

depends how tall you are? im 181cm and it is sh%t. the bottom of dash drops too much and top of legs brush against it. very uncomfortable

Haven't seen the interior of a Triton GLX-R Diesel but I'm almost 6ft 2... and I drive a Nissan Navara D22 ST-R everyday and plenty of room and enough base features for a daily.

I picked mine up in 2011 brand new as a run out deal, and I believe they are still doing them for the same price around $30k

still cant go past the hilux as a budget tow vehicle... just did another interstate trip doing 12.5L per 100kms while loaded stops well, pulls up hills just fine and sits on 110 without even feeling the trailer.

only real issue is traction cause i have shit tyres on atm but will get some good treads when these are due for replacement.

which model/engine?

followed my father in law's boss the other day. he has a late model F250. he had the car trailer on the back with a '53 F100 on it. we were in a 90 zone, going up a hill (a few hundred metres long) and on the steepest bit he only dropped to about 85kmh. he was back up to 90kmh not long after the steepest bit though. i was pretty impressed, given that my commodore sometimes drops back to 3rd going up there and it didn't sound like he had his foot to the floor.

08 model with the 3L D4D motor. goes alright.

mate bought a prado same year with the 4L petrol motor and it used twice the amount of fuel for the same trip and goes the same speeds up hills haha. but yeah the prado is more comfy for 4 ppl

• 1 month later...

Bumping this up, wondering if anyone has recent experience with a Falcon auto turbo sedan as a tow car, towing about 2000kg total. Also the late na six speed auto sedans, particularly fuel consumption figures.

Yeh I know that a fourby might tow better but I don't like driving trucks and am bit concerned about common rail and particulate filter problems with diesel SUV's.

For occasional towing up to 2000kg the Falcons will be fine. Definitely not as good as a decent fourby, but they're solid enough to tow that kind of weight and still be stable. As usual, check towing capacities, trans coolers (def better to tow with an auto) lock up T/C etc.

Have you spent time in some of the mid size fourbys? If you haven't you might be surprised how car-like they are - many of them even handle well these days (far from a sports car, but well and truly enough to keep up with traffic in all normal situations). Not trying to change your mind, just making sure you're being impartial. Each to their own.

Turbo diesel would be the first choice but used Falcon sedans are a bargain price so, because racecar, tow car priority is not #1 $ wise. Particularly running and maint costs.

Bumping this up, wondering if anyone has recent experience with a Falcon auto turbo sedan as a tow car, towing about 2000kg total. Also the late na six speed auto sedans, particularly fuel consumption figures.

Yeh I know that a fourby might tow better but I don't like driving trucks and am bit concerned about common rail and particulate filter problems with diesel SUV's.

search my posts in this thread for fuel consumption figures on the FG turbo and also the commodore VZ V6, i think it's a great choice but i would recommend you factor in a heavy duty load leveling kit which is about $700-$1000.

Yeh I looked at your Falcon consumption figures B before, very impressive. Load leveling kit requirement seems to depend on the amount of towbar weight, of course unlike a caravan a car on a trailer can be located to give the correct amount of weight which seems to be 10% of total trailer weight. The other thing seems to be that Falcons with sports suspension like XR6's are rated at a lower towing capacity.

08 model with the 3L D4D motor. goes alright.

mate bought a prado same year with the 4L petrol motor and it used twice the amount of fuel for the same trip and goes the same speeds up hills haha. but yeah the prado is more comfy for 4 ppl

We just took a New D4D Prado Kakadu (5speed auto) fully laden with a big tandem and WRX (atleast 2 tonne) from Melbourne to Lakes Entrance and back ~700Km. I was impressed with how easy it did it and how comfortable it was to be in.

Yeh I looked at your Falcon consumption figures B before, very impressive. Load leveling kit requirement seems to depend on the amount of towbar weight, of course unlike a caravan a car on a trailer can be located to give the correct amount of weight which seems to be 10% of total trailer weight. The other thing seems to be that Falcons with sports suspension like XR6's are rated at a lower towing capacity.

where are you planning on towing Richard? Remember Ford stipulates lower speed limits when towing over 1600kg. 80km/h is not great for any highway trip, let alone interstate ones.

I'm about to sell my old Patrol, but it is a complete truck. Would be nicer with sensible All Terrains rather than the 33" muddies, and with a muffler put back in. But it has a proper old school 4.2 diesel with DTS turbo kit. Particulates are encouraged to escape right on outta there with the 3" straight through exhaust :)

Towing the Zed Harry, a bit less than 2000kg all up on a tandem trailer. Not worried about Ford's speed limit assuming that applies to FG's, probably be an idea to run it past the insurer though.

Might be an idea to advertise the Patrol on PF, disappointing to see you retiring from racing though.

search my posts in this thread for fuel consumption figures on the FG turbo and also the commodore VZ V6, i think it's a great choice but i would recommend you factor in a heavy duty load leveling kit which is about $700-$1000.

You would need yur head examined to buy a VZ V6 for towing. I have a VZ crewman and dragged my race car from the gold coast to Melbourne. It used 19 litres to the 100Klms and was a dog towing up hills. The VZ engine is rubbish and has NO torque. The old Buick engine was a better choice for towing.

Falcon all the way if you seriously want to tow cars using an Aussie 6.

I am looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel for my next car. 3500 kg towing and a huge V6 diesel for $56K. Its a slam dunk. Cheaper than a Narvara and most other suggested tow cars.