SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

You would need yur head examined to buy a VZ V6 for towing. I have a VZ crewman and dragged my race car from the gold coast to Melbourne. It used 19 litres to the 100Klms and was a dog towing up hills. The VZ engine is rubbish and has NO torque. The old Buick engine was a better choice for towing.

Falcon all the way if you seriously want to tow cars using an Aussie 6.

I am looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel for my next car. 3500 kg towing and a huge V6 diesel for $56K. Its a slam dunk. Cheaper than a Narvara and most other suggested tow cars.

Agreed - I have one! :action-smiley-069:

I bought a Laredo for corporate and towing duties - it amazes me how good it is with the power, economy and handling. Chassis is really good, and comfy to boot!

See Fletch at Northern - he's a good bloke and know his Jeep stuff (being an ex pres of Melb Jeep Owners Club).

Towing the Zed Harry, a bit less than 2000kg all up on a tandem trailer. Not worried about Ford's speed limit assuming that applies to FG's, probably be an idea to run it past the insurer though.

I think you should reconsider that "not worried" attitude to be quite frank - speed and insufficient towball weight are the prime causes of sway. Ford stipulating speed restrictions as low as 80km/h over 1600kg IIRC, should be a serious concern for people intending to use them on the highway. I'd suggest they are doing it because the towball download limit is not really being sufficient for the loads they're rating the cars to. At lower speeds they can get away with it perfectly safely. But not at highway speed limits of up to 110km/h. Eg, I once had to tow my broken down Aristo home on a hire trailer behind the Patrol. The only way to load the car onto the trailer was backwards - because of the trailer's design and the length and overhangs of the Aristo. I knew it was dodgy, but there was no other way. I started off very timidly to see how it would handle, but it was absolutely fine at speeds up to 80/85. Hit 90 and you could instantly feel it start to sway. Get back down to 80 and not a drama in the world...

do you really know what to do if you experience sway? you might only get one shot at it - and if it happens because the speed got away from you while going downhill, it might not be recoverable from the start. Particularly when it out-weighs you.

Trailer sway has everything to do with trailer design and loading so I'm told so all those aspects will be carefully considered before the rig ever hits the road for a long trip, including test runs. I figure that if people can safely tow 2000kg+ high aspect single axle caravans with a Falcon then towing a tandem trailer with a low aspect car on board should be doable.

Will also be using electric brakes with a manual over ride should things get tricky, might add that I got trailer sway once driving a Prado downhill when the stupid four speed auto did an unexpected and slow shift, so tow car weight is not everything.

Edited by 260DET

Trailer sway has everything to do with trailer design and loading so I'm told so all those aspects will be carefully considered before the rig ever hits the road for a long trip, including test runs.

yeah, but those things all come back to ball weight.

figure that if people can safely tow 2000kg+ high aspect single axle caravans with a Falcon then towing a tandem trailer with a low aspect car on board should be doable.

yes, you can 'safely' tow a 2000kg car or caravan at 80km/h according to Ford. Yes, it applies to FG's.

I can't belive people would consider buying something for towing that has an 80km/h speed restriction.

might add that I got trailer sway once driving a Prado downhill when the stupid four speed auto did an unexpected and slow shift, so tow car weight is not everything.

tow car weight has nothing to do with preventing sway. its about what happens next - you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that 2000kg swaying around behind you will have more effect on an 1800kg tow car than a 2800kg tow vehicle...

either way, letting an auto decide for itself what to do when towing heavy loads downhill is not a good idea!

Edited by hrd-hr30

People used to tow heavy caravans around Australia with Falcons and Holdens before 4WD's and SUV's became fashionable so with proper preparation I have no problems using a late model Falcon to tow a car trailer at 100kph or whatever,just like others do. A heavier vehicle may be better in some ways but a FG will be more comfortable and quieter than a lot of them so less driver fatigue for a start. Anyway for an allrounder a Falcon will do me and make more money available for what I really want to do. Racecar :D

Most off the specifications that car manufacutrers place on towing is to cover there own arses with warranty.

A good example of this is with manual and auto falcons, manuals are limited to 1600kg and autos 2300. This is to cover the gearbox and clutch during warranty period.

In BA/BF XR6T manuals where only rated to 1200kg, FG XR6T manuals are now 1600kg.

This is also true for thenew 4cyl ECO boost falcon, limited to 1600kg towing capacity, this is due to a smaller auto gearbox fitted to this model. It can not handle the weight if you tow more.

This is also similar with VE commodores, Manual SS 1600, auto 2100kg, also manual have speed limit of 100kph but auto dont have a speed limit.

I am not saying i would like to tow over 2000kg with these vehicles, just know that most of the rules the manufacturers set are to cover themselves during warranty periods.

ive used my EL falcon 6 to tow my skyline a few times, seems upto the task, its old but does the job, i wouldnt use any commodore 6's i dont think they have the torque to pull a heavy load

the falcon seems very comfortable once you get going off the line, but i towed a falcon ute on the car trailer just last week and they must be a shitload heavier, the rear end felt like it had a mind of its own over 60kph, pretty scary...

I have been looking at VY-VZ Berlina LS1 wagons.

didnt realise they were a good price now - 11-15k

knowing me Id mod it...or buy a modded one...haha

Yeah they are cheap.

I just picked up a VY SS sedan for 13k with reasonable KM's and in perfect nick (some light mods too).

SS wagons are still 17k though unfortunately. Might build a little S13 track thrasher now so I've got something to tow around

where are you planning on towing Richard? Remember Ford stipulates lower speed limits when towing over 1600kg. 80km/h is not great for any highway trip, let alone interstate ones.

I'm about to sell my old Patrol, but it is a complete truck. Would be nicer with sensible All Terrains rather than the 33" muddies, and with a muffler put back in. But it has a proper old school 4.2 diesel with DTS turbo kit. Particulates are encouraged to escape right on outta there with the 3" straight through exhaust :)

You're in QLD aren't you Harry?

Is the Patrol registered in QLD or another state?

yes, registered in QLD.

It's a Safari import with PTO winch, high roof etc. 2" lift, 4 brand new 33's (plus 2 with about 20,000km on them. Total 6 tyres), all new suspension in 2010 incl all bushes, foam cell shocks. Also replaced all hoses and belts, water pump, radiator etc that year in prep for Simpson desert trip. Just ticked over 200,000km. DTS Turbo kit was fitted a few years ago, with new injectors. Injector pump was reco'd a couple years before that. $12K

• 1 month later...

Some 2000kg braked towing diesel SUV's as searched on Carsales under $25000. All manuals I think. There may be model variations too. All have two liter engines except the Suziki Grand Vitara which has a 1.9. The rest are - Nissan XTrail, VW Tiguan, and Holden Captiva.

Be interesting if anyone has actually towed with one of these, anticipating Harry :) I am in no way advocating towing 2000kg with any of these, I claim ignorance.

I wouldn't do it.

I towed a rally car with a Forester XT (rated at 1800kg). It had plenty of power for the job, but felt anything but comfortable doing it. I think if I had a better quality trailer (was using a very short, twitchy piece of crap trailer) it would have felt a lot more comfortable. I still don't think it would have been ideal though - specially in any sort of emergency.

Can't believe all of this tow car hype.

Spend the money on the track car.

I towed my 32 Gtr on hire trailers with a $500 xf sedan without a problem on gas. It prob only had 50kw and still managed 110kmh on the Hume up and down hills.

I saw an old man recently towing his neat porsche GT3 looking race car behind a clapped out hj60 landcruiser home from PI. I loved that he wsn't caught in the status of having to fit an image.

As mentioned above an el/ef for $1000 will tow better and safer than most 4wd's on the road. We had then in utes xh's and they easily towed over 2 tonne generator trailer sets with at least another 500kg in the tub. They were all autos and had more than enough power when towing. Do you really need the power to chirp 2nd with a trailer. Anyway most new chassis would prob break if you tried.

A few of you are talking about speed wobbles. If you have the right or slightly more ball weight with good shocks and lower sidewall profile tyres (not big 4wd tyres) inflated to the higher side the chance of an uncontrollable sway is unlikely. With myself driving I've never been in a situation where I haven't been able to accelerate a sway away even downhill in an auto. You drive an auto like a manual towing anyway. The other side is I have been sideways down the hume in a patrol with a boat trailer with all 6 wheels squeeling and almost rolled at over 100kmh because a mate backed off instead of accelerating down the hill once it started.

Can't believe all of this tow car hype.

Spend the money on the track car.

I towed my 32 Gtr on hire trailers with a $500 xf sedan without a problem on gas. It prob only had 50kw and still managed 110kmh on the Hume up and down hills.

I saw an old man recently towing his neat porsche GT3 looking race car behind a clapped out hj60 landcruiser home from PI. I loved that he wsn't caught in the status of having to fit an image.

As mentioned above an el/ef for $1000 will tow better and safer than most 4wd's on the road. We had then in utes xh's and they easily towed over 2 tonne generator trailer sets with at least another 500kg in the tub. They were all autos and had more than enough power when towing. Do you really need the power to chirp 2nd with a trailer. Anyway most new chassis would prob break if you tried.

A few of you are talking about speed wobbles. If you have the right or slightly more ball weight with good shocks and lower sidewall profile tyres (not big 4wd tyres) inflated to the higher side the chance of an uncontrollable sway is unlikely. With myself driving I've never been in a situation where I haven't been able to accelerate a sway away even downhill in an auto. You drive an auto like a manual towing anyway. The other side is I have been sideways down the hume in a patrol with a boat trailer with all 6 wheels squeeling and almost rolled at over 100kmh because a mate backed off instead of accelerating down the hill once it started.

Your mostly the reseason for car accidents with car trailers...... Just by reading your past experiences...... And your 500bux half assed tow car.

There's a difference between wanted to look the part, and having a safe and capable tow vehicle.....

One minute you're talking about how falcons tow well over 2 tonne easily and without any problems at 110km/h up and down hills, the next your telling us how often you've had to recover from sway...

A good tow car that's well within its capabilities won't suffer from sway in the first place unless you load a car on backwards or something.

Edited by hrd-hr30