SAU Community

The Truth Is Out - Adm Vs Jdm At The Dyno

09GTR

I have dynoed my 09 GTR ADM - its putting out 295.5 kilowatts at all four wheels.

The Jap Spec car on the same dyno (at Croydon Racing Developments) put out 310 kw

Why the difference?

Because the ADM is running 12 psi boost, the JDM (stock) is running 15 psi!

That is why Jap cars are recording 0 - 100 in 3.3 seconds

My HKS 570 kit will be installed in a week. I look forward to bringing you the numbers...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would Nissan Oz do this - we have same quality fuel in Oz now, and there is simply no excuses to de-tune our cars. I call BS.

PS: 14.5kW is not little, its a fair ammount. Is it possible that 08 model had higher boost, compared to 09 ADM's.

Well 14.5kw is about 4.5% - i've seen that sort of variation merely due to weather in some cars. I dont think it's that much really. Still, if the boost is clearly down, that is black and white i guess. thanks for posting the results, much appreciated! :)

My HKS 570 kit will be installed in a week. I look forward to bringing you the numbers...

Why didn't you go with the HKS GT600 kit? Are you doing the rest of the Exhaust as well?

Cheers

Marty

Why didn't you go with the HKS GT600 kit? Are you doing the rest of the Exhaust as well?

Cheers

Marty

kit availability, price etc. The 570 kit is a pretty bare minimum mod. One could look to turbos, coolers, brakes, suspension etc down the track. I will use a Cobb custom tune as well. Not that keen to fork out the big bucks for a rear exhaust yet...will see what gains the 570 system makes without the rear system (plus don't need the extra noise), and then decide.

I reckon the 570 plus cobb tune without the rear exhaust will be a nice mod that unleashes the potential of the car without being too crazy.

A little off topic here but I have a question for the R35 GTR owners... How do the R35 GTR's compare to the earlier model GTR's as far as being a drivers car goes?

One of the best driving experiences in a GTR ive had was in a lightly tuned R32, the balance and response of the car and how easy it was to control once the car was pushed beyond the traction limit of the tyres was inspirational. Pushing it past understeer into power oversteer balancing throttle and steering etc. My R34 comes very close and will hopefully be as good as if not better with a few alterations I am working on.

I recently saw the new Jeremey Clarkson film called Thriller, and he doesnt like the GTR at all. He tends to lean to ferrari and the lambo's, but I cant help but think he just isnt a good enough driver to push the limits of the R35 GTR. They didnt show him geting the car sideways once on that film.

So I was wondering, how does the R35 GTR feel when pushed to the limits of traction and beyond?

the 35 is every bit a drivers car. you just have to understand it has much higher limits than most and drive accordingly. turn off all TC/ESP and enjoy. It's very easy to slide and great to balance and steer it on the throttle. You can hold nice long, high speed slides in it and even pluck gears mid-slide without un-balancing the car. sure on road you don't get much sense of it as you can't sanely drive i fast enough to get it moving around, so in that respect on road you could argue a honda DC2 type R is more of a drivers car, or a 2 litre 1984 alfa GTV, BUT get the 35 on the track where you can exploit it's strenghs and it's character comes out. you just have to squeeze it a bit. :action-smiley-069: steering is very comunicative, the engine is super responsive and the chassis does what you ask of it, with good pads and rotors the brakes are great too. it has all the boxes ticked really for a good driving experiece. and i'm a hack and I still find them easy to slide around. just ask russ! lol.

the 35 is every bit a drivers car. you just have to understand it has much higher limits than most and drive accordingly. turn off all TC/ESP and enjoy. It's very easy to slide and great to balance and steer it on the throttle. You can hold nice long, high speed slides in it and even pluck gears mid-slide without un-balancing the car. sure on road you don't get much sense of it as you can't sanely drive i fast enough to get it moving around, so in that respect on road you could argue a honda DC2 type R is more of a drivers car, or a 2 litre 1984 alfa GTV, BUT get the 35 on the track where you can exploit it's strenghs and it's character comes out. you just have to squeeze it a bit. :) steering is very comunicative, the engine is super responsive and the chassis does what you ask of it, with good pads and rotors the brakes are great too. it has all the boxes ticked really for a good driving experiece. and i'm a hack and I still find them easy to slide around. just ask russ! lol.

My old 2l. Alfetta GTV gets a mention in this company??? Woot!

Pity my exhaust manifold had a sneaky habit of unscrewing from the block!

Pity the rubber Uni joints would crack every 30xxxKm

Pity my Alfa Romeo Umbrella would form abrasion holes after what ....10 outings??? wtf lol

I had my car 'Endrust' treated the day after I bought it = No rust when I sold it lol

THIS CAR TAUGHT ME THE ART OF PERSEVERENCE! ;)

Guys...one thing to remember...every engine is hand built, you will get "strong" engines and also "weaker" ones. the 14.5kw is nothing. Anyhow I would like to see a couple more ADM cars done to get a better feel.

Cheers.

I would have expected more than 14.5kw difference for 3 psi boost.

why? if the turbo's are already at the limit of their compressor efficiency (highly likely given Nissan obviously wanted the target power with the lowest transient response times possible), winding in 25% more boost isn't going to add 25% more power due to the fact the tiny wheels just rapidly start heating the air (and lowering the charge density) instead.

Guys...one thing to remember...every engine is hand built, you will get "strong" engines and also "weaker" ones. the 14.5kw is nothing.

i really doubt it- given the quality control and ultra-high accuracy of the tolerances, i'd be surprised if you saw factory-spec VR38's running outside of + or - 5hp at the fly when tested under identical engine-dyno conditions

I agree with Shawn. The whole point of hand assembly in climate controlled rooms is to achieve a high degree of repetition in tolerances. When something measures up out of spec it goes into the rubish bin as a rejected component.

Now if it was australia that was making the R35 you wouldnt want an engine that was built on a monday or a friday. Hopefully that wont apply to the R35 being built in japan.

And thanks Beer Baron, I suspected Nissan had just raised the bar with the R35. Clarkson probably wasnt game to push the car to ITS limits because of the neck injury he got when test driving the R35 in Japan.

Edited by GTRNUR

Well on the weekend at the ATC held in Vic there were 2 dead stock ADM R35 GT-R's that when both used LC in Auto R/R/R over an 800m drag on the Holden Proving Ground Speed Bowl were nearly 1s different in times. Each car had 4 runs and all 4 runs for each car were basically exactly the same time BUT the 2 cars were around 1s different (and around a 10km/hr terminal speed difference). Car 1 did it in around 18.2s with top speed of 250km/hr and the 2nd car was 18.9s and 142km/hr.

So not all R35's are created equal even when comparing ADM v ADM let alone ADM v JDM.